PDA

View Full Version : Cape York 2009

Flex
04-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi all,
Just got back from the worlds greatest Fishing Trip!.

Spent 10 days fishing around Ninian bay area and surrounding reefs offshore.

We drove in via the coastal road. It was slow going towing 4.5m boats in and not many people had been that way since the wet. But we had no major drama's and got in safely.

Days 1-2. Was windy as hell like most days up the cape.So we had to stay in close. But we managed a nice catch of finger mark,sweetlip, mackerel, queenies and GT's. we fished along a rocky headland only in 2m of water. fishing with un weighted baits was the secret and we were kept busy for hours on end of one after the other fish.
5mins fishing into the trip, second hookup was my first Unstoppable! one of hundreds more to come..lol

Days 3-7.
I doubt I will ever see weather like it again, we scored 5 days in a row of 5knot winds. Usually up the cape it blows 25knots all day/night.
Up at 5am each day, we headed the 40kms out to fish the reefs.
Found some reef in 18m of water,anchored up and dropped the baits.
For the next 4 hours we caught red throat, Coral trout,red emporer,cod, Floated baits saw Cobia and Spanish by the dozen.

Lunch time when the reef fish go off the chew, we pulled up on a sandy coral Island and threw poppers,plastics around and Had fun on the huge GT's and trout that haunt the drop offs.

Afternoons saw us back to the reefs for more back breaking action.

One particular afternoon we headed back in earlier at around 2pm. One of the rocky headlands had a nice distint current line flowing past with murcky water one side,clear the other.Bait fish everywhere. So out came the poppers into the waiting mouths of some of the biggest Queenfish I have ever seen.!
What followed was one of the greatest fishing sessions I have ever had.
Every cast had a follow by multiple queenfish, massive splashes,huge hookups and long fights with lots of aerial displays and 4 way hookups. 4 of us fishing we each landed over half a dozen of these monsters. I dont think one of them was under 35lb.(all released btw)
Amongt them were GT's and heaps of smaller spanish.
I decided to throw a few plastics around closer into shore, I landed over 8 fingermark. winding one in saw 2-3 others following it to the boat!. at one stage I caught 6 fingermark in 6 casts:) all on 7inch berkley gulp.

The last afternoon fishing offshore we had a nice feed of reefies, we happened to come across a massive school of Golden Trevally in about 20m of water.
I have always thought Goldens were a softmans GT. But Boy was I wrong!..lol
Golden Trevally in deepwater are the in my top 3 hardest fighting fish of all time.They are not super fast, but they never,ever,ever give up!.They shite all over the Cobia and spanish we caught.
Every drop of the line saw a hookup on these monster Goldens, once hooked-up, You'd strap yourself in for some pain;D. every golden was 15-20kg using 65lb braid on an upgraded spheros I had to use tow hands to hold onto the rod at times..lol. These goldens are real bastards and go straight for reef if you dont apply the hurt, then once off the bottom they just simply dont give up!. we caught dozens of these things over a 2 hour period, amongst the occasional trout,cobia and red-throat. Any chiropractor's wanna come next year? I'll pay all your expenses:)

But the greatest experience for me was the amount of bust-ups we all had.
This year I went up with bigger,better,stronger gear. But more often than not, the fish just laughed at me whilst dragging my 40kg outfit straight into a reef for spectacular bust-offs!! no matter what we tried about 30% of the fish hooked just blew us to bits. it was un-believable.

Days 8and 9 the wind came up, water temp had dropped 3 deg in 3 days and fish went off the chew, so after the previous 5 days of awesomeness we came home early.
These days we dont fish the creeks that often, so only a few barra were caught. I'd rather go offshore and punish myself with the big stuff.

Gear used was 65lb braid on upgraded spheros,24kg T-curve.
50lb on a Tekota 700 on 24kg Live fiber
80lb on Tyrnos 30 on a 24-37kg Custom rod

Next year Im simply taking 16mm anchor rope to fish with instead..lol

Heres a couple of pics.

Flex
04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
some more pics.

PS: we came back via Inland road through lakefield. The 2 creek crossings are still very high with water. we got through ok, but the water was over the bonnet and we needed to tow most cars through. so if your headed to bathurst bay then come prepared!. also the crossing is full of crocs too due to the high water levels.
first time I have been to lakefield national park.
I was lucky enough to see it twice, once going and once coming;D cause I will never go back. Lakefield nat park is a complete shit hole IMO. If you havent been, dont bother, keep driving IMO

Basil2
04-06-2009, 10:38 AM
What can you say to that. Words would be so hard to describe a trip of a life time. Well done you lucky bastards. Huge effort for huge rewards. Top pics as well. Cheers Basil2

coucho
04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I am not a chiropractor but I am willing to learn for a trip like that

scrubba01
04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Great report flex gotta love it when a trip works out well.

Spectre
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Awesome report & Pics mate.
That sure is one great trip ...with suitable rewards.!!!!

How long did it take to drive in ...do u leave from Cooktown & then up thru the Starcke ???
See plenty of crocs..???

Cheers
Phil

GBC
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm jealous - did ya take a tin of paint for the monument at Melville?

ON-THE-CHEW
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Awesome trip, will be heading up to the cape myself in july but wont be able to take the boat with us. Looks like you had a great time with lots of really good fish, time now to start planning your next trip.

Andrew

Flex
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Awesome report & Pics mate.
That sure is one great trip ...with suitable rewards.!!!!

How long did it take to drive in ...do u leave from Cooktown & then up thru the Starcke ???
See plenty of crocs..???

Cheers
Phil

we left from Brisbane about 5am on a Thursday. Got to cooktown about 6-7am on Friday, then drove up the starke track and camped on the jeanie for the night. We then drove all the next day(track needed a bit of fixing) and got to camp about 4pm.

Always see crocs up that way. sometimes you wont see em, as they are very cagey and weary. but you see slides, hear em at night etc. there were 2 resident crocs we saw in the creek we camped in. also saw one swimming along the shore out along a nice looking beach. at least 15km from the closest creek. so gotta be careful

Crisp Bee
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
thanks for the pics and great read. Now I gotta try think about work stuff.... that'll be hard.

nickstock
04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Fantastic report Flex. The pics speak for themselves!

How far is it from Cooktown?

Nick

Spot82
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
My Parents are up there at the moment, they were in bathurst bay in the last week and had no issues getting in or out. Old man just rung me and said they were getting busted up left right and centre off the jetty at seisa (spelling??).

Its awesome up there, fishing is just something else, need to get back up there soon I think, only problem is makes the fishing back home very boring!

Glad you had a good trip, great report and good pics!

Anthony

Pistol_P
04-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Looks like it one awesome trip.....8-) 8-) 8-)

My idea of a great trip is variety just like you got....

Awesome mate....Cheers 4 the post.

Pete

Flex
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah the trip was sensational to say the least. But it makes fishing down south so boring you hardly wanna go..lol

How far is it from Cooktown?

Nick

Its only a few hundred Km's north, but it took us nearly 2 full days of driving to get there. often you can only travel at 5-10km/h.
But if it was easy to get there then it wouldn't be the special place it is today:)

Spot82
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Parents also informed me how cheap coke was up there, only $66 a carton, xxxx gold was only $54!

mangomick
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Top stuff Mate. thats what they call living
Reckon I just moved my retirement date forward a few years
Thats one hell of a green zone off Ninian bay. Your lucky you found anywhere to fish

Flex
05-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah the Green zones off that area are Insane!. waaaay to many IMO. But we fished around the Howick group which is all Yellow and blue.
They rekon its green zone so people can enjoy it for the future, but buggered if I know anyone who would scuba dive or snorkle up that way..lol

It should all be Yellow i rekon. anyhow..

An interesting fact though, just south of Ninian is a massive pink zone, supposedly a dugong sanctuary. But every day we would have to dodge the Massive cargo ships that run the channel inside the reef. they literally run the parallel to the pink zone for about 100km or so, almost scrape it as they pass.

None of us are allowed in this pink zone, not even to swim. To protect dugongs etcs, but imagine 1 of these tankers hitting a reef and spilling oil everywhere!
There would be no clean up teams scrubbing oil off beaches like Moreton, to many crocs,sharks,Box jellies etc.It would ruin the area for years

I think its total Hypocricy

nickstock
05-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah the trip was sensational to say the least. But it makes fishing down south so boring you hardly wanna go..lol

Its only a few hundred Km's north, but it took us nearly 2 full days of driving to get there. often you can only travel at 5-10km/h.
But if it was easy to get there then it wouldn't be the special place it is today:)

Sounds like the track into Captin Billy's Landing 15 years ago.
I went there with my old man and it took nearly 5 hours to go less then 80 kms.

Like you said Flex, the fishing sure looks worth while.

I can see a trip coming along for me in the not to distant future!

Nick

FNQCairns
05-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Half your luck Flex, what an adventure! you certainly put in the effort to find yourself somewhere spectacular so deserve the all the reward, how was this lack of wind:o....you will pay for that! It hardly ever happens up here this time of the year.
By the way ...where you heading next year?;)

cheers fnq

indy
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
G'day mate sounds like a great trip i am heading up there at the start of july only taking a ten foot tinnie with a two horse on the back just fishing the creeks can you recommend some good places for me to give a go any help would be muchly appreciated

cheers pete...

Flex
06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Half your luck Flex, what an adventure! you certainly put in the effort to find yourself somewhere spectacular so deserve the all the reward, how was this lack of wind:o....you will pay for that! It hardly ever happens up here this time of the year.
By the way ...where you heading next year?;)

cheers fnq

Hey FNQ, did you end up going on your trip up?

Yeah I have never ever seen weather like it, rarely do you get 5 days of no wind up that way, your lucky if you score just 1!.
Next years trip will be to the same place I think, lotsa options even if the wind does blow:)

anyhow, I'm keen to know how you went on your trip, or if not are you still heading up?

INDY:

Where abouts are you heading exactly?I can give you some spots, but any creek up north of cooktown fishes just as good as the other, with the one exception of Starke creek. That creek for some odd reason is a hard one to crack

FNQCairns
06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Flex probably leaving in a few days 90% ready ATM, have had trailer upgrade dramas so depending how it goes tomorrow may be leaving early in the new week or sometime soon after the trailer shops open again....bloody pub hols!!

One thing for sure I am not going to jinks us by wishing for the same length of low wind you blokes had:-X.

Think also that Pazz is due back any day now from his adventure, will be interesting to read his report if he does one.

cheers fnq

Flex
07-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Well best of luck for your trip, what size boats did you decide on taking?
The salmon have started to run aswell, which means the jack and Barra fishing may be a tad slow, but the salmon are heaps of fun and def make up for it.
Our last morning fishing I landed over 30 salmon on a lure in the space of 2 hours.

whether the weather is bad or good it's always fun heading up north for a fish:)

Tight lines eh:)

FNQCairns
08-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Well best of luck for your trip, what size boats did you decide on taking?
The salmon have started to run aswell, which means the jack and Barra fishing may be a tad slow, but the salmon are heaps of fun and def make up for it.
Our last morning fishing I landed over 30 salmon on a lure in the space of 2 hours.

whether the weather is bad or good it's always fun heading up north for a fish:)

Tight lines eh:)
Just one 14 footer, will be good to catch a few salmon (what type of lure Flex?)so will be happy for that, I can take or leave the barra but an incidental one will be nice, bought a camp lounge chair a few days ago for this trip, if the fishing is slow I am covered;);D.

cheers fnq

Flex
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Good-o:) you should be able to get out and about in a 14 footer,
6 inch Gold Bomber out fished every other lure up there. I didn't have any so was using 6inch laser pro's in the creeks and plastics they still do ok. But the bomber must have a different action and the difference in catch rates was noticeable.

also the Barra we did land, every single one was on a Gold bomber. Do a treble change on em and your good to go.

FNQCairns
08-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks Flex, I do have a GB in my kit to take along, strange lure they are either hot or cold, have a couple lazer pros also...sounds like I am good to go! bought a heap of extra plastics, they where in the cheap bin, large STORM baitfish looking ones with embedded hooks, they have already caught an angler so half their design brief has been met :)

Was going to get one of the deep diving xraps until I saw the price...hope I don't regret that anyway it's officially the right time to start getting excited, heading off tomorrow :laola:

cheers fnq

Flex
08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Well best of luck, Hope all goes well.
Only 2 weeks back from my trip and I'm already jealous..lol

indy
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
G'day flex sorry about the late reply

we will be doing to the coast road through the daintree up to cooktown out through lakefield national park through musgrave roadhouse working our way up to weipa then the old telegraph track going to stop at seisia, jacky jacky ck, chilli beach captain billy landing, still finalizing but these are some of the spots that are defenets thanks for your help in advance

cheers pete..

hooknose
13-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey Flex , top trip mate, sure is a great drive once you get north of Hopevale hey. Fished the Starke in the late eighties and early nineties and used to do well on fingermark, queenies, trevs and jacks, also some of the best muddies I have ever come across anywhere, lots of sneaky crocs though. Never cracked a good Barra from the Starke. The different tracks into the creeks used to be marked with specific beer carton labels - classic !!

Apollo
14-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Nice, very nice. Top trip and great report. Gives the rest of us some inspiration.

Steve

nickstock
18-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Never cracked a good Barra from the Starke. The different tracks into the creeks used to be marked with specific beer carton labels - classic !!

The tracks still are labeled by faded rum, jimmy and xxxx cans lol.

Sure is a majic part of the world that Starke section, Starke can be hard to crack but once you have it sorted it can really fire.

A mate recently landed over 70 Barra and over 100 Jacks up there a month ago before we had this late rain.

We had over 4 inchs of rain at Starke 2 weeks ago which slowed things up a bit

devocean
18-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Have to agree about Lakefield- hammered and destroyed