PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki service price ????

thump-a
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
What price have you paid to get your Suziki 4 Stroke or others serviced ???
I have a 175 Suziki 4 stroke due for its 100 hour service.
I was quoted around $700.00 depending on what they replace.
Is this the norm ????

Thanks Graham

scrubba01
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Graham
I just had the 100hr done on my 225 cost me $450 but yes was quoted $700 dollars by another place. Pays to shop around.

thump-a
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Scrubba

Do you think they did as good a job as the more expensive dealer ??
Did they do what was needed to be done ?? or did they skip items to keep the
price down ???
Ive rang around and got prices ; They vary from $400.00 to $700.00
Can't decide ; Do you get quillity with exspence ???

Cheers Graham

Alchemy
03-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Graham,

I had my DF200 serviced in March at Townsville Marine. Pretty sure it was $700. I haven't shopped around yet, but probably will next time. Will be keen to hear how you go once you decide where to go.

Regards,
Dave.

siegfried
03-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Mate, sevices on these motors dont involve a whole lot ,if he wont do a bloody site better than that tell em to jam it and go else where, OUr 140 zukes never cost over 350 down here and when the warranty period is up do it yourself. If an alarm or something goes of then you take it in or for piece of mind have it put on the diagnostics every year or so...contrary to what some of these fullas reckon bugger all goes wrong if you look after em per your operators manual. Doing 800 -100 hours a year imagine paying 5-700 a throw, wouda busted me ,good luck ay

Mindi
03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Jabba and Disorderly...how much did your 100 hour services cost you...????

( I know... I will go to hell one day....my wife keeps telling me)

disorderly
03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Jabba and Disorderly...how much did your 100 hour services cost you...????

( I know... I will go to hell one day....my wife keeps telling me)

Bout the same as the 200 hour service,mate...:)...

Although the other day I was told that my first service (300 hour,which is now due) will be about $450...

Wahoo
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
thumpa, i know its not a zook, but my 225 4s cost me $415 with the impeller kit, here in Cairns they wanted $550...pays to shop around.........they quoted you $700..........there off there trees tell em

Daz

Malcolm1976
03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Be careful about some of the lines they spin. They will tell you "oh, but we do this and we do that". I have heard that line from all the dealers.

Luke G
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Mine cost me just over $100 - but I did it myself. Are you better off buying the parts from the states and just paying for labour?

Mindi
04-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Be careful about some of the lines they spin. They will tell you "oh, but we do this and we do that". I have heard that line from all the dealers.

I totally agree with this.... At $700 they are still billing for 4 or 6 hours labour and I just dont believe it.....even if they replace the impeller which is likely to be unnecessary in 90% of cases,(unless you regularly prop dredge a shallow bar). The water pump impeller has one purpose...to pump cooling water through the motor and out the telltale....if your telltale still pumps strong water out the telltale then the impeller is fine....no "ifs", "buts" or anything else. It works and does not need replacing. The Merc dealer practice of standard annual replacement is just a shameless ripoff.

There is a fundamental business model conflict in that motors and lubricants are continually improving and yet dependence on service revenue by dealers is increasing.... The reason there is no service required on ETECs for three years is not because their technology or durability is any better than Suzuki...of course they arent...do you really think the Nth Americans can make small motors "better" than the Japanese..? I dont think so....they have just changed their business model to reduce the dealer dependence on service revenue (and give the dealer more upfront..?)....this dependence on service leads to this $700 service rip off. That's the success story of ETEC...not the white thing on the back of the boat. As a customer I am apparently "happier" paying $1000 more for my motor I really should than paying for 2 services I dont need ......thats the marketing reality they are kicking goals with.....and how they have stolen a march on the others.
IMHO Service your Suzi yourself or find a qualified self employed mobile guy through this forum who will do the necessary work if you prefer not to.

But opinions are like ****holes arent they..? everyone has one. I would love to know the dealer margins on White vs Grey vs Black.....I reckon the dealer makes stuff all on Grey and Black motorsales after all the dodgy rebates etc and other pricing tools have been washed out of the transactions.

bennyboy
04-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Mindi

Have you seen the latest ODEA market share figures? I think you would be very surprised at the very small number and certainly not increasing market share that a certain white motor holds. A massive amout is spent on marketing for such a small player.

The mobile guys and backyardies are certainly much cheaper on services, they don't have to pay nearly as much for a workshop, rent, insurance, council charges, the list goes on. I don't know how much margin and how many sales you think dealers are getting on motors at the moment but I know that workshops are keeping alot of dealers afloat at the moment.

PADDLES
04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
to some degree i reckon the price should not be your priority when getting an outboard serviced, obviously if the price is double you should ask questions, but i think the main thing is to get someone you completely trust, even if it costs a little bit more. a service on an outboard should not just be change the oil/filter, fuel filter and the impeller, it should be a full check on everything to do with your motor and this can sometimes head into your electrics as well. i've watched my guy do a service and he will put a spanner on all bolts in the rear end of the boat and make sure they're nipped up. for what may be only a couple of hundred bucks a year, buy someone you trust graham don't do it to a price.

Wahoo
04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
well said Paddles, thats why i travel 2hrs to get mine done, i know the guys and i know them very well, they go thru the whole cat and kabootal on my motor, from laptop thingy, to spraying the batt terminals with that yellow stuff

Daz

PS: Mindi, regarding the impeller, i get it done every 100hrs weather it needs it or not, the boat is at the shop and the extra cost is nothing

Daz

Mindi
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Mindi

Have you seen the latest ODEA market share figures? I think you would be very surprised at the very small number and certainly not increasing market share that a certain white motor holds. A massive amout is spent on marketing for such a small player.

The mobile guys and backyardies are certainly much cheaper on services, they don't have to pay nearly as much for a workshop, rent, insurance, council charges, the list goes on. I don't know how much margin and how many sales you think dealers are getting on motors at the moment but I know that workshops are keeping alot of dealers afloat at the moment.

Absolutely believe that Benny

Mindi
04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
well said Paddles, thats why i travel 2hrs to get mine done, i know the guys and i know them very well, they go thru the whole cat and kabootal on my motor, from laptop thingy, to spraying the batt terminals with that yellow stuff

Daz

PS: Mindi, regarding the impeller, i get it done every 100hrs weather it needs it or not, the boat is at the shop and the extra cost is nothing

Daz

Well Daz the parts and labour will be costing you $150-200....and if it is pumping strongly I just dont see why it should be replaced..? fair enough if you are happy to pay that but I dont see what is different after the spend to before..?

PADDLES
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
a new impellor is sort of like an insurance policy, it can, and arguably should, be changed based on life or hours and not necessarilly on whether it looks like it's pumping ok. a similar thing happens for a lot of critical machinery, components get replaced based on their life and not performance.

that being said however, it's also horses for courses. i personally only change my impellor every 2 years (2 services) based on the low hours i do, the fact that i use my boat in fairly clean open water and i do my boating with friends in other boats so the safety factor is better. now if i was going to be fishing predominantly by myself, in the shallows up a remote creek with crocagators i'd be changing the little bugger religiously.

chris_s
04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I've got a 200 on the Riptide and it only set me back about $450 for the 100hr service.
No probs no complaint, service was great.

jighead
04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I had it explained to me by an o/b mechanic that impellers should be changed every 100 hrs or 12mths as the blades bend under stress and retain memeroy and cease to work at peak efficiency as others have said it's an insurance policy get it done while it's in the shop

Cheers Jighead ;)

snelly1971
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I just had my twin 175 Suzukis serviced , travel was $300 and servive for both motors $530, $830 total....Cheap

Mick

Mindi
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I had it explained to me by an o/b mechanic that impellers should be changed every 100 hrs or 12mths as the blades bend under stress and retain memeroy and cease to work at peak efficiency as others have said it's an insurance policy get it done while it's in the shop

Cheers Jighead ;)

That is so much rubbish...(what he said not you jighead) .. I have a 1993 Yammy 25 still on its 3rd impeller ay god knows how many hours...I have a Merc that is 5 yrs old on it's first and I wish I could produce a stream like it. They will tell you anything....dont listen to business generating bullshit... look at the telltale ...memory...if its pumping strong water its cooling the engine. Sure replace them periodically depending on your usage and location ... but every year..? they are having a laugh

ps...I know this means Iceknight wont rescue me because I dont paly the service schedule game...so be it.

thump-a
05-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the advise guys.
Ive gone back to the dealer where i bought the motor from; Mainly to retain my 7 year warranty ; but also gave strict instructions to reuse parts if ok ; This hopefully will save some dollars !!!
Will post total cost of service later ; after i collect the boat & bill

Thanks to everyone that replied to this post
Cheers Graham

ozbee
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
:Dit all boils down to this about $7 a hour to have a 7 year warranty . get over it it was costing me $70 dollars a 5 hr trip just for oil on my etec 250 . i wouldnt care if it cost a $1000 you are still far better off . no 5yr old jitters as gaskets etc tend to salt up all the problems are there's. just drink a six pack less a trip and:D:D:D;D as you let them fix any problem's.

thump-a
06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Yea your right the dealers did a great job $ 642.00 all up replaced all parts
Went out this morning and the motor was perfect

Thanks Graham

siegfried
06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Yea your right the dealers did a great job $ 642.00 all up replaced all parts
Went out this morning and the motor was perfect

Thanks Graham
FOr 642 clams theyd wanna,

Mindi
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
FOr 642 clams theyd wanna,

Graham (Thump-a) how about posting a pic of the 100 hour old impeller they replaced so we can see how deteriorated it was. ..?..of course they gave the replaced parts to you. Genuinely interested to see as I have expressed some skepticism above.