PDA

View Full Version : Water pump change out

trueblue
01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
any tricks to changing out the water pump impellor and housing on a 130 HP Yammy saltwater series 2 stroke?

bicked up a plastic bag in the brissie river yesterday at full noise and now have limited flow from the tell tale. probably burned out the impellor / housing

anyone got a diagram of the assembly set up before i start pulling it apart?

cheers

Mick

FNQCairns
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Schematics should be here: http://www.boats.net/

AUD topped 80c today :) getting now my debit card pre-warmed up:)

cheers fnq

Noelm
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
pretty simple job, almost all Motors are very similar, only drama is broken bolts if it has not been apart before.

dodgyone
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Or if the drive shaft has siezed into the end of the crank.

BM
01-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Mick, you'll be fine. Its obviously not an old engine so everything should come apart fine.

Don't forget to disconnect the speedo pickup (connects just above the lower unit at the front of the box) prior to dropping the leg. The rest is too simple to even bother mentioning. Leg will be off in about 3 minutes.

I would pull the leg off prior to ordering parts as your pump housing may be fine and replacing it would in that case only be wasting money. Dealers regularly sell you a housing at service time in order to keep moving parts and keeping the manufacturer happy but its not that often that a top housing needs changing.

In any case inspection of the top housing and the lower wear plate will determine what needs replacing.

Slop a bit of grease (any grease) on the impeller so its not dry for first startup.

Watch the water tube and gear selector shaft alignment upon refitting and the rest is basic.

cheers

trueblue
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
thanks BM

its a 97 model, but has had the water pump replaced 7 or 8 times, so should all come apart easily. I've just never done one myself before.

I think I picked up a plastic bag on the Brisbane River at full noise... engine went into alarm and limp mode, but started back up again a few minutes later no worries.

Just while flushing the motor, the water flow diminished to a dribble compared to its normal strong jet out of the tell tale.

cheers

Mick

BM
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Most likely just a shagged impeller.

trueblue
01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
so its just the 6 bolts around the leg, and the whole thing will slide off vertically and everything is self explanatory when visible?

should I take the prop off first to make it easier to lift and move around?

BM
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Thats it mate. Don't forget the bolt under the trim tab. Disconnect the speedo pickup and drop the whole lot out. Trim the leg out fully to reduce the weight load on your arms. Prop on or off won't matter but do remove it at some point to check for line around the shaft seal and also to re-grease the shaft.