PDA

View Full Version : Live bait guide?

yanjarra
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi

Does anyone know of a guide for live bait that has all the live bait you can catch locally in SEQ with pictures of them and take limits etc?? online where i dont have to pay for it would be preferable...

cheers

BGG
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Yanjarra
Are you talking about fish, shellfish, worms or all of these?

Mac1952
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
See answers to my Bait Question post yesterday.
Your idea mught be useful.

goat boy
01-06-2009, 08:13 PM
DPI website would be a start I guess. doesn't have pictures I don't think but has pretty much everything else you're after (and it's free)
You can always do a google for a pic I suppose
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_ENA_HTML.htm

Crisp Bee
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I have previously looked at the DPI website , and have found it tells me SFA, about live bait. The important thing to remember is that you must identify the species, and then abide by the size and bag limits. I suppose a good field guide to identify the little fish in your bait net is the answer. I do not know of any. I had hoped the DPI would produce one.

yanjarra
02-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Yanjarra
Are you talking about fish, shellfish, worms or all of these?

well i was more specifically after baitfish but all would be nice i suppose....

I have previously looked at the DPI website , and have found it tells me SFA, about live bait. The important thing to remember is that you must identify the species, and then abide by the size and bag limits. I suppose a good field guide to identify the little fish in your bait net is the answer. I do not know of any. I had hoped the DPI would produce one.

yeh i have found the info there useless as well.....to be honest i wouldnt even know what a slimey or hardyhead or herring and any other u care too mention looks like.....the only things i get in the net im sure are legal a bit are poddies so i just chuck the rest back to be on the safe side....... you would think it would be in the interest of conservation or whatever that they made some sort of chart..im sure theres plenty who just keep whatever the cast net brings up......

i spose im lazy n can just look pictures of them all up individually, but a quality chart would still b nice....pretty crazy theres not one really...

Crisp Bee
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Next time i get the cast net out, i will take some photographs of the "Unknowns" and try ID them and post the photos here. This may help us all.

yanjarra
04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Next time i get the cast net out, i will take some photographs of the "Unknowns" and try ID them and post the photos here. This may help us all.

thatd b great chers

wags on the water
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
If you wanted to use Tailor, Whiting (as examples) for live bait make sure they are legal size or you will be fined.

Have you tried contacting the DPI by phone and explain to them the website doesn't have the information needed? This is usually the best option. I've found that phoning the company (of the website viewed) is the best bet in the past.

Cheers,
Wags