PDA

View Full Version : Kayak advice

Captain_Zero
31-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi

I am in the market for a kayak. The Bic Bilbao is the current favourite as it is about the size I am looking for (about 20 kg and 11 foot long) as it was easier enough for me to lift on and off the roof racks.

I tried the Prowler Elite which was good once on the water but I couldn't manage it on and off the car on my own.

I am also planning to have a look at the Viking Espri or Nemo.

I would be looking to fish canals, creeks, estuaries, and maybe impoundments.

I weigh about 70kg.

Budget maximum $1000.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

bassfan
31-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Zero, have a look at the Emotion Stealth Angler yak. Just over 10' and weigh not much more than 20 kg. Anaconda sell them rrp is $1150 but regularly have them at 20% off so about $900. They are an excellent little yak, very stable, easy to paddle and well made in the US. Also come with 3 rod holders.

cheers

Bassfan

LostNearBribie
01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Check out the Fish Bandit mate.
I think they are around $700.

extremewatersports.com.au

They are Aussie made at Caboolture.

LostNearBribie
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Mate there is a cheap one here...

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5994

gregw
25-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I hadn't had a Yak before, used to have canoes years and years ago. Recently brought an Ocean Kayak - Malibu Two which eats two comfortably plus had a seat in the middle which I can use when by myself for fishing, exploring, etc. Find it very comfortable and a seat is recommended to support the back. I think you need to set a few guidlines what you need, ie. do you need it for more that one person, is it just for fishing, etc. that changes the specs a lot.

Hope this helps - Cheers, Greg

Fitzy
28-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Chris,

Take a look at the OK Venus11. It ticks most of the requirements you put up.

3.3m 11 feet
18kg
Recommended capacity of 95kg
Retails for around $1100

Here's a link to a the one I setup. http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,1546.0.html

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1546.0;attach=2522 ;image

johnlikes2fish
28-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Mate have a search on a.k.f.f. for a review of the bic before you decide to buy I think the buyer had one or two problems, I would look at the nemo and the ok venus

Gigantor
06-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Chris,

I've been kayak fishing for a few years now and one point worth considering is kayak length and your weight.

I'm a tall guy (6 foot 4 inches) and weigh 110kgs. I suggest that if you are a big guy like me you make sure you get a kayak longer than 3 meters rated for a pay load much greater than you actual weight (your weight + likely amount of fishing gear = ideal capacity) - otherwise you are sitting low in the and use up energy inefficiently.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Pete

Captain_Zero
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I haven't checked this post for a while.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Fitzy - I like the look of the venus. I probably wouldn't have the budget to put the electronics on it though.

I noticed the venus only has rod holders behind the seat whereas the Fish bandit has rod holders front and back. I like the idea of rodholders at the front but not sure if they would effect the ability to paddle. Any view on this? I might have to test paddle both.

Gigantor - I am about a foot shorter than you and only weigh about 70kg hence I was looking for a small yak I can manage myself, particularly lifting on and off the car. Appreciate the feedback though as I am more likely to get heavier than lighter.

Thanks again

Chris