PDA

View Full Version : Front Bow Roller or V-Block ?

Splash
31-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a Haines Hunter Fiberglass boat - about 800 kg when loaded on trailer.

Can you please recommend I use a V-Block or roller for this application?

I want to replace my current roller.

This roller is located at front of bow where the saftey chain is connected.

Thoughts please?

SPlash

Splash
31-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Why are rollers used in this application anyway?

Splash

Roughasguts
31-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Why are rollers used in this application anyway?

Splash

Does make you wonder!

Maybe it's easier to hit the brakes and launch the boat over the winch post and through your back window.

Chimo
31-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi Splash

Rollers are probably used because the trailer manufacturer had them.

Personally I dont think it makes much difference as long as you have a decent chain and turnbuckle to hold the boat bow in place and your not relying on the winch.

Hows Darwin treating you and hows THE motor going?

Cheers
Chimo

Splash
31-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Guts and Chimo.

Thanks for input. What do u guys use on your bow roller?

My life has taken another turn.

The end of the mining boom has ended my career (albeit temporarily I hope) and I had to depart Darwin - with my beloved rig.

I now reside in Adelaide with the Mother in Law - looking for work :-(

Boat is OK and motor needs a big run.

Splash

Chimo
31-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Splash,

At least you can get snapper there.
Got any good MIL jokes or do you want some?

I use a bow roller as my 'bow' roller / stop and heavy chain / turnbuckle/

Cheers
Chimo

Splash
31-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi Chimo.

What is a MIL? No jokes at thsi stage - yes I would love some MIL jokes :-)

Can i ask why you choose a bow rolelr over a V-block?

Splash

tenzing
31-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Once lost the roller out of its bracket on the highway, made a little mess of the glass. Decided that a v block might be better, uyt found that it rubbed a decent black mark on the bow. I also found that I was happier pulling the boat up nice and tight against a roller as it did not grip the bow and rotate upwards with the boat. I found that there were different densities available and the one I liked best was to wide so I cut it down to fit . it still marks but not too much. Some of the grey ones dont mark but are as hard as buggery and dont compress much when you pull up hard against them.
My two bobs worth anyway.

Splash
31-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks Tenzing.

The same thing happened to my glass where the roller is located - on it's way down to Adelaide (from Darwin) - my roller is shot.

I see blue, red and black bow rollers in shop. Which ones have the best suited density to this application?

SPlash

tenzing
31-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Mate I ended up with another black one. Just pick them up and give them a good squeeze. The bracket size didnt seem to match up with much that I could find thats how I ended up with the v block for a while
Brendan

Chimo
31-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Splash

MIL = mother In Law

jokes eg

'I just bought my mother-in-law a Jaguar.' 'Cor - I thought you didn't like her.' 'I know what I'm doing, it's bitten her twice already.'

A young wife came home one day and found her mother standing in a bucket of water with her finger stuck in the light socket. The young husband was standing by the switch. 'Hello, darllng,' said the mother, 'George has had this marvellous idea for curing my rheumatism.'

You know, I don't know what I'd do without my mother-in-law - but it's nice dreaming about it.
I mean, she's not ugly - it's just that when she makes up, the lipstick crawls back down the tube.
She's found a new cheap way of making yoghourt and sour cream - she just buys a bottle of milk and stares at it for a couple of minutes.

'Do you know, my mother-in-law has vanished, just disappeared from home. Just like that.'
'Have you given her description to the police?'
'No, they'd never believe me.'

I'm not saying the mother-in-law's ugly, but she uses her bottom lip as a shower cap

Cheers
Chimo

Splash
31-05-2009, 07:06 PM
lol - i luv them! :-)

you remember those mil photos i once posted on this forum in 2006/07...?

Every time I watch the Simpsons and see Abe, I see so many similarities bwteen him and my MIL... maybe a few more photos of her "shower cap" is due....but then again....?

Splash

tunaticer
31-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a roller there just in case one of the keel rollers dies and i have a spare on hand at the ramp. Realistically you could use a fencepost as a stop as a roller is of little use on the post.

Chimo
31-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Hopefully not a star steel picket!

Chimo

Splash
31-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks Tunaticer.

Your thoughts on using the V-block fo rthis applciation?

SPlash

146C
31-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Tenzing.

I see blue, red and black bow rollers in shop. Which ones have the best suited density to this application?

SPlash

G'day Splash, Red-Fibreglass and Blue-Aluminium.

Cheers,

Dave

Splash
01-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks Dave.

What are the black ones used for?

Splash

sheridan
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Splash

I have the V block on my haines I found it held the bow better especially on rough roads and dosn,t mark the boat like the roller did he here are a couple of photos of mine

Geoff

trueblue
01-06-2009, 04:28 PM
V blocks for sure. much better

FNQCairns
01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah v blocks are a worthy mod, a few minutes with the angle grinder cutting disk and drill to customise to your trailer mount and bow shape and you will never go back to a roller.

cheers fnq

Splash
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys.

Is red V-block the right one for fiberglass?

SPlash

146C
01-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys.

Is red V-block the right one for fiberglass?

SPlash

Yes Splash. You will just have to sort which size you need, there are a couple of options.

Cheers,

Splash
28-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah v blocks are a worthy mod, a few minutes with the angle grinder cutting disk and drill to customise to your trailer mount and bow shape and you will never go back to a roller.

cheers fnq

I got the v-block but my existing roller shaft/dow needs to be hammered into the hole of the v-block as it is slightly oversize. This can be done but will be tight fit..

To optimise fitment/purpose of V-block onto hull, is it advisable to have a loosely fitting dow pin or tightly fitting down pin?

Splash

FNQCairns
28-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Tight worked for me splash, from memory the hull came up to meet it all snug like, then I tightened the bolt to permanently capture the correct angle of the V block. Cannot guess if yours might be suited differently.

cheers fnq

Splash
28-06-2009, 07:16 PM
thanks fnq!

will try that after i mend the holes in the gel coat in this immediate vicinity..

SPlash