PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for the rope!!!

Dean1
30-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi guys,

just letting you all know that I had a scary incident yesterday arvo out near the banks. Frank the fishing machine and I were heading from the banks to the hards at 26kts when I ran over a large long rope in the water, it brought my boat to a grinding hault and near pulled the rear port side of my boat underwater!

I didnt see the rope and thought my motor was self destructing or something it felf shocking! No damage to the motors but the port one seems a little sluggish after it? Im getting it checked out this week.

The coordinates are 26 24 950 153 35 410. Ive informed marintine safety and they said they will get water police onto it. Im glad it was still daylight because it would be worse at night. It must be hanging off an anchor id say.

Regards Dean.

murf
30-05-2009, 07:16 PM
thanks for the heads up

nothing worse than screaming along in the dark then a sudden stop with the back of your boat going under taking on water :o

scary stuff when by yourself

fish trap not set properly

cheers Murf

Smithy
30-05-2009, 07:34 PM
No fish traps up here Murf. We do have to dodge spanner crab floats though.

Dean1
30-05-2009, 09:12 PM
thanks for the heads up

nothing worse than screaming along in the dark then a sudden stop with the back of your boat going under taking on water :o

scary stuff when by yourself

fish trap not set properly

cheers Murf There was no float in sight anywhere. There was alot of it, say 100 metres at least, barnicles all over it.

Greg P
30-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you found the plug ::)::)::)

TJ Bear
30-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Sounds like could be a good dolli FAD

backlash08
31-05-2009, 05:08 AM
that would give you a fright, thanks Deano

northernblue
31-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Glad to hear you're OK dean.
So, I take it the rope just got caught against the leg or did the prop catch and reel you in?

Dean1
31-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Glad to hear you're OK dean.
So, I take it the rope just got caught against the leg or did the prop catch and reel you in? Hi Glen long time! Mate the rope got caught around both legs initially but ended up on just the one, it was trimmed in more than the other. The rope blocked up the speed sensors in both legs and my LAN gauges went haywire. It felt like I was running up on a reef we stopped that quick!! Aweid jerking feeling. It looked about 40mm in diameter. I stayed well clear of it on the way home thats for sure! Mate have you got that Cat up and running or what?????

-spiro-
31-05-2009, 07:26 PM
You should of attached it to the ball retrever pulled it in Dean
Thanks for the heads up mate.
How did you go out there?
reports?

Lucky_Phill
31-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I hear ya Dean.

I picked up a post about 50cms long and 25cms round about 16k's NE of the bar ( mooloolaba ) on Thursday.

There was a dirty debris slick formed. More rubbish along the way, but nothing to cause alarm.

Cheers Phill

northernblue
31-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Glen long time! Mate the rope got caught around both legs initially but ended up on just the one, it was trimmed in more than the other. The rope blocked up the speed sensors in both legs and my LAN gauges went haywire. It felt like I was running up on a reef we stopped that quick!! Aweid jerking feeling. It looked about 40mm in diameter. I stayed well clear of it on the way home thats for sure! Mate have you got that Cat up and running or what?????

DON"T ASK !!
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Someone told me that they ran a couple of days overtime when they concreted Rome, it's abit like that up here ::)

Did you get any scales in the boat ?

bugman
31-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Dean,

Similar to running up the Tweed River the other night. Thought we'd a pot or two further down stream from the house. After 2kms and 5 "incidents" with big logs sticks we slowly turned around and putted back. Seems the debris from the big flush still hasn't found a home yet.
Scary shit in the middle of the night.
Brett

Dean1
31-05-2009, 09:51 PM
You should of attached it to the ball retrever pulled it in Dean
Thanks for the heads up mate.
How did you go out there?
reports? Yeah I thought about giving it a tug, but I think I was glad to get out of it safely, didnt want any more dramas etc.

Pretty ordinary mate 5 snaps around 2kg, 2 trags, parot, moses, pearlie. Nothing too brag about but could have been worse! Spent alot of the arvo searching for new ground.

1770 this weekend should be good, hope too get onto some quality! Cheers.

Dean1
31-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Dean,

Similar to running up the Tweed River the other night. Thought we'd a pot or two further down stream from the house. After 2kms and 5 "incidents" with big logs sticks we slowly turned around and putted back. Seems the debris from the big flush still hasn't found a home yet.
Scary shit in the middle of the night.
Brett Yeah mate not enjoyable at all. I headed back in in the storm pouring rain so I was on the edge expecting the worst again :o The lightning has moved onto 2 more owners since me now. I did catch some fish in that tub, it had a good omen I think. U live at the tweed now? Deano.

cormorant
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
We keep a couple of old half stuffed mooring buoys in the bilge so when we find something like that that is attached to the bottom we just rope one on. As long as the current isn't going mad it will stay on the surface and if MSQ is interested they can find it rather than have a wild goose chase.

Don't like the sound of a motor not performing but we did a similar thing and we had stuffed lower unit ( bent and gear damage ) and deive shaft cactus and the trim unit was never the same again even though we couldn't find a actual physical fault. Think it was twisted as it took a lot of weight from pushing 2t to stopping it in a few meters. Ours happened at night and new undies were required but learn a lesson to keep everything tied down no matter what the sea state as mate nearly got killed with a battery bursting out of its holder.

Your a lucky man, can go wrong so fast. Have a serious look at engine mounts as ours weeped water after that.

bugman
01-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Dean,

I was only looking at some old photos the other bight of Bogey and thinking of some of the great trips we had in her. She certainly caught lots of fish.

Do you know who's got her now.

I've got Gary to come and have a look at my motor on Thursday so hopefully he'll tell me if I've hit anything too hard.

Brett

Dean1
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Dean,

I was only looking at some old photos the other bight of Bogey and thinking of some of the great trips we had in her. She certainly caught lots of fish.

Do you know who's got her now.

I've got Gary to come and have a look at my motor on Thursday so hopefully he'll tell me if I've hit anything too hard.

Brett Hey Brett,

No mate im unsure who owns her now. A guy bought it off me who lived on baffle creek, his wife rang me about 6 months ago telling me they sold the boat in some kind of auction. She wanted me to fill out the rego forms etc as they never swapped names etc over.

So she could be anywhere now. Im towing my KC up to baffle this coming weekend to chase some quality cant wait. Hope the weather behaves. I dropped my boat off at Kratzmans today i hope shes going to be ok. Cheers.