PDA

View Full Version : Fun at the zoo

GBC
30-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Gator and myself left Scarborough about 0230 am Thursday for a look around outside. The trip out was interesting, dodging debris and sandbars all with zero moon. Made it across the bay and around combi and managed to evade everything, breathed a sigh of relief then damn near run aground on the ever growing little point just up from combi.

Headed out round the Cape to discover the bureau got it wrong again - 10 odd from the South which remained all day, which I'll take over a glassed out NW every time.

Sounded around a mark for not much of show and no hits first drop which is allways a bit of an issue.

Buggered up the second drift second time, only got a couple of blips on the sounder, missed the mark by a fair way and we both got bashed by some nice pearlies. Needless to say a LOT more attention was paid to small blips and we got our bag in good time - the best coming in around sun up. I got bricked by something that I was never going to see colour on. About the time pearly #10 came on board we fortuitously managed to start finding some squire around the 3-4 kg mark. They were schooled up tight in a bait ball about 15m off the bottom in 110m of water. The reason for the ball was found soon thereafter when Gator's m10 classic buckled over. Hoping for an XOS sammy/AJ we played it for a while before we both called it for a shark. Having no room left in the esky we played him anyway for near on hour before getting colour on a whaler - they're a magnificent creature in the flesh, esp when eyeballing their opponent. We put it somewhere around 7-8 ft. Tried to attach a tripod to it for perspective but the bastard ate it and the newspaper got all soggy - sorry fellas.8-)

backlash08
30-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks GBC, looks like some hurt on the m10 there!

thanks for the report and pics

cheers - Craig

outsiderskip
30-05-2009, 12:18 PM
nice lot of fish
pity about shark
nice feed

pete

jtpython
30-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Horse pearlies. Great trip and weather played out well
Well fished guys
JT

finding_time
30-05-2009, 12:47 PM
GBC

Tell Gator that something is wrong with his new camera, it's only supposed to add 10lbs!!!!!;) And i'm not talking about the fish:o

Ian

Always_offshore
30-05-2009, 03:42 PM
good onya ,some nice fish.the sharks seem to be in plagues at the moment.

GBC
30-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Kind words all - bar Finding Time - you'll keep mate.;D What can I say - proof's in the puddin, might have to play with some more noahs - they sure give you a good workout. Jimmy the shark and I had been up and down the circular elevator a few times by the time that shot was taken - I believe I might have been quietly requesting Gator to 'please put down the nice new camera and cut the trace like you promised three runs back!!' That's a tyrnos 30 at sunset and a calibrated thumb on the spool losing line at a very quick rate - again::) I love fishin.

Pistol_P
30-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice pearlies....wouldnt mind a slab of that for dinner.8-)

Good shark pics....they are a great looking animal.

Pete

nickstock
30-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Great report mate!

Those sharks sure put up some serious hurt hey mate!

Nick

iceknight
31-05-2009, 12:23 AM
your not the only one to near run aground.... on thrus night going out i almost did the same!!.. gee its out far now.... or seems to be.... hard in the darke to guage a real distance from the shore...

the_bomber
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Jonesy I more impressed with the intellectual look with the googles on We are getting old! When are the "Sea Rash" decals going on the good vessel? JD is keen once he becomes the proud part owner

GBC
01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Change the background big fellah and we'll talk.:D
Oh, and I'll need a full boat cover for while she's parked out the front - the missus just wouldn't like it.

Just checked your avatar - something isn't quite straight there - just can't put my finger on what it is.........:P

Gator
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey Bomber,
I'm keen as mustard for the Rash stickers. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble convincing the intellectual one. Apparently you've disgusted the hard men!