PDA

View Full Version : E-TEC problem

stinky-stabi
29-05-2009, 07:49 PM
my e-tec is playing up every now and then ...runs on 2cyl when is 3cyl banger....
had it looked at was informed had run without oil 12mins ...so they thought it might had a air block in oil pump..... have done another ten hours and last night start to go in to wot i call poofta mode ,,1500rpm 6knots.....but i have never run it out of oil??? ino for a fact::) ...dealer says if it happens again i will have to pay to find wots wrong :o

has anybody had any problems with their e-tec breaking down a cylinder or sumtin alike ????????wasnt good having the thought it was going to play up over the caloundra bar last night at 11pm>:(

Spaniard_King
29-05-2009, 07:54 PM
my e-tec is playing up every now and then ...runs on 2cyl when is 3cyl banger....
had it looked at was informed had run without oil 12mins ...so they thought it might had a air block in oil pump..... have done another ten hours and last night start to go in to wot i call poofta mode ,,1500rpm 6knots.....but i have never run it out of oil??? ino for a fact::) ...dealer says if it happens again i will have to pay to find wots wrong :o

has anybody had any problems with their e-tec breaking down a cylinder or sumtin alike ????????wasnt good having the thought it was going to play up over the caloundra bar last night at 11pm>:(

Why do you have to pay if it's still under warranty, I would be talking to BRP and get there view!

finding_time
29-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Just pm Jabba

He'll have it diagnosed for you within the hour!

Ian

stinky-stabi
29-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Why do you have to pay if it's still under warranty, I would be talking to BRP and get there view!

that was my point too.....so much for no cost for the first 3 years....
m8 i will be jumping up an down dont worry bout that ....i have bin dealing with this dealer for nearly twenty years might soon be in for a change if the outcome is not fixed .....well atleast its real good on fuel at 1500 an using no oil .lololololol

TimiBoy
29-05-2009, 08:16 PM
News flash!!!!

A new artificial reef will be built in Moreton Bay, using the power heads from burnt out E-TECS.

It will last a few years, before it disappears under the weight of marketing schlok and total bullsh!t.

Cheers,

Tim

finding_time
29-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Stinki

Please take this the right way as i'm genuinely trying to help but do you thing the way you drive the boat may have caused a bubble to be sucked into the oil line? If your launching of waves and slamming down all the time do you think this would be a chance of happening!

ian

stinky-stabi
29-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Stinki

Please take this the right way as i'm genuinely trying to help but do you thing the way you drive the boat may have caused a bubble to be sucked into the oil line? If your launching of waves and slamming down all the time do you think this would be a chance of happening!

ian

not really ian as the problem would have surfaced in the first few months as when i first got her i was rough as an was do n heaps of hours??? ..and was really floggn it to try an break it in the first instance than waitn to see if any was all talk of how strong the hull is ...so may be not ian may be i should have kept that new yammy i had .lolololololol.you must love to be hear'n this .lolololol...

boney-leg
29-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I never let the oil reservoir drop real low because I reckon when the motor is tilted right up and you bounce along the road it may get an air bubble. Just a thought ...

finding_time
29-05-2009, 08:57 PM
.lolololololol.you must love to be hear'n this .lolololol...

Not really mate, i kinda like the little e-tecs, i'm totally unconvinced by the big ones only because they use just as much or more fuel than a four but soooo much of that liquid gold they call oil! I also know the feeling of being offshore alone with a dicky engine at night and have to cross a bar as well! Not nice!;)

Ian

tin can marlin
29-05-2009, 10:01 PM
They are just a 2 stroke with the same power head as what they were using 30 years with a fancy marketing like all fads the truth is starting to come out and all of there faults i don't see many people driving around in a 2 stroke car 4 stroke is proven and it is the current and the future having said that i think the old carby type 2 strokes have got the place in the tinny market etc as they are cheaper to buy and fuel is not as big a issue as it is with a 200hp.

siegfried
29-05-2009, 10:02 PM
News flash!!!!

A new artificial reef will be built in Moreton Bay, using the power heads from burnt out E-TECS.

It will last a few years, before it disappears under the weight of marketing schlok and total bullsh!t.

Cheers,

Tim
They can put it in 500 fathoms and itll still poke out the top;D

stinky-stabi
30-05-2009, 07:03 AM
They are just a 2 stroke with the same power head as what they were using 30 years with a fancy marketing like all fads the truth is starting to come out and all of there faults i don't see many people driving around in a 2 stroke car 4 stroke is proven and it is the current and the future having said that i think the old carby type 2 strokes have got the place in the tinny market etc as they are cheaper to buy and fuel is not as big a issue as it is with a 200hp.

yeah watever... ::)

Mindi
30-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Stinki just post your question on here and it will get the right answer in no time probably from Huey (Craig Huett from Huetts Marine in NSW) ...but it is a USA site where you get unlimited expert ETEC tech advice. Jabba is a member there also... only place to go if you have an ETEC question. My guess is that you do have an engine problem and the dealer is a less than useful person but they will help

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

Noelm
30-05-2009, 09:59 AM
OK, leats assume this guy has a drama, all the quips about dumping and so on will not help one bit, regardless of what YOU personaly think about his Motor, so, lets keep on track and at least try to help him out OK! first off Warranty should be no problem, don't get too pissed off with the dealer yet (he is still your lifeline at the moment) if he continues along line of you have to pay, then start to get a bit uptight, but not emotional, stick to facts and keep calm!! never heard of an air bubble in the Oil line regardless of sea conditions or driving methods, reckon you can rule that out! stick with it and pester the hell out of them untill it is fixed.

cormorant
30-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Ok Here we go, just my thoughts and I don't even own one.

Running on 2cyl not 3 has nothing to do with oil. It is an injector,fuel supply ( restriction , filter) , plug ,ignition , ECU or wiring issue.

Now for the oil one. They are designed not to get air in them same as every brand for the last 40 years. Only way air can get in is via empty tank, stuffed oil injector or tubing connector and they are unlikely.

Did the oil tank nearly empty tank alarm go off or was it only the oil pressure alarm they have ? They have seperate codes. They also have a seperate code for the oil injector failing to fire?

What code did you get.

Now regardless it is a warranty job for running on 2cyl as that has nothing to do with the oil issue. Even with the oil issue when it goes into poofta mode it will run at 1500revs for a long time without doing damage ( Ive seen the adverts).

A low tank oil alarm would not put you into poofta mode
A no oil in tank and a no oil in injector and a failing oil injector would. You wouold have a simple dash light alarm and piezzeo or if you have the fancy poofta guages the words as well.

As for all the "this motor is rubbish comments" drop down to your local wrecking yard for outboards and pick me up some of the large pile that obviously are down there that were unrepairable as I actually haven't see many and probably 70% of any brand in a wrecker have been mistreated in some way to start with.

Of all the brands and models of 5 year old outboards can anyone start a list of ones that are dogs, handgrenades or whatever. Seen a few that placed on the wrong hulls didn't do well and most have some issues here and there that require monitering like scale in water cooled oil filters and so on but nothing that if kept on top of that is going to kill a motor. All brands are pretty well engineered , have better consistancy and initial quality of materials than any motor more than 8 years ago and should last longer if looked after. If you say anything different you are full of it.

Who has directly had a completely failed motor apart from the 3-5 that I think have been mentioned on here before?
What recent problems have they been having and some must have a few hours on them by now?

Is your dealer and the person who set motor up a etec trained mechanic and rigger?
Have you got a copy of the dealers printout from the diagnostic he ran showing the codes on teh motor? Get it he will have it stored on his computer and keep it with your service , warranty receipts.
Did your dealer do a compression check?
Did your dealer do a coil output test?
Did your dealer put ner fuel filter on?
Did your dealer check filter in ttom of oil resovior?
Did your dealer check for oil leaks?
Did your dealer tank test the motor now and on predelivery and could the problem be made to reoccur?
Did your dealer test existing plug new ones in as a precaution?
Did he offer to replace ECU or all 3 injectors if it reoccurs and he can't diagnose it especially since he knows you are doing bar work and you may die!!!????

Alll the above go for any motor it doesn't have to be a 2 stroke , 4 stroke or a etec the above summary fits for any motor. It ain't exactly rocket science and the dealer either wants you as a customer or he doesn't?

Oh yeah and if you want to do a something simple while motor is turned off just go to each injector and confirm hat the plugs from the loom are seated properly and clipped in cleanly along with any other electrical connectors. Often the dealers seem to rely on diagnostics of ECU these days and forget to open their friggin eyes to the simple obvious things like a split spark plug boot etc etc.\

Either way put up some more info and forget the knockers as they are just too scared to even believe their motors could ever have an issue - but of course they all do at some point.

Yours shouldn't be a drama

Be a lo better if people here actually tried to be constructive and help rather than piss take everything.

Challenge is there for anyone to go to a wreckers and get a photograph of all the less than 5 year old motors - not that many of any brand.

stinky-stabi
30-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Stinki just post your question on here and it will get the right answer in no time probably from Huey (Craig Huett from Huetts Marine in NSW) ...but it is a USA site where you get unlimited expert ETEC tech advice. Jabba is a member there also... only place to go if you have an ETEC question. My guess is that you do have an engine problem and the dealer is a less than useful person but they will help

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

thanx mindi....i am a member too an just checked an yes your right huey did get on to me ...will let you know how it turns outs;D

booked in next week to get looked at i can see the dealers point of view to as time is money but i am a consumer .lolololol

ozbee
30-05-2009, 03:46 PM
does the prop exhaust give a black soot on the finger like a diesel engine . sign of injector problemns

Jabba_
30-05-2009, 04:15 PM
thanx mindi....i am a member too an just checked an yes your right huey did get on to me ...will let you know how it turns outs;D

booked in next week to get looked at i can see the dealers point of view to as time is money but i am a consumer .lolololol

Time you found yourself a new marine mechenic...
Allen downs is the bloke you want working on your Evinrude...

Dont wast your time, just go straight to the Guru himself and get it sorted right the first time....

Below is quote from Spaniad_King...
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showpost.php?p=856976&postcount=4
If you want it done right, this guy is the "GURU"

Downes Marine Pty Ltd

* Evinrude * Johnson * Sales * Service * Repairs * Large Stock of Genuine Parts * Secondhand Motors * Mon-Fri * Established Since 1932

Contact Information 45 Allison St
Bowen Hills QLD 4006

Phone: (07) 3252 7719
Fax: (07) 3252 1329
cheers

Garry

ozscott
30-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Alan is a nice bloke and really knows his stuff on OMC

sid_fishes
30-05-2009, 05:44 PM
and garry doesn,t lie

stinky-stabi
31-05-2009, 06:43 AM
thanx very much for all your help guys am pointing back in the right direction

Mindi
31-05-2009, 09:04 AM
thanx very much for all your help guys am pointing back in the right direction

still be very interested to hear outcome...genuine ETEC faults are so rare that they are interesting....

Kero
31-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Ok Here we go, just my thoughts and I don't even own one.

Running on 2cyl not 3 has nothing to do with oil. It is an injector,fuel supply ( restriction , filter) , plug ,ignition , ECU or wiring issue.

Now for the oil one. They are designed not to get air in them same as every brand for the last 40 years. Only way air can get in is via empty tank, stuffed oil injector or tubing connector and they are unlikely.

Did the oil tank nearly empty tank alarm go off or was it only the oil pressure alarm they have ? They have seperate codes. They also have a seperate code for the oil injector failing to fire?

What code did you get.

Now regardless it is a warranty job for running on 2cyl as that has nothing to do with the oil issue. Even with the oil issue when it goes into poofta mode it will run at 1500revs for a long time without doing damage ( Ive seen the adverts).

A low tank oil alarm would not put you into poofta mode
A no oil in tank and a no oil in injector and a failing oil injector would. You wouold have a simple dash light alarm and piezzeo or if you have the fancy poofta guages the words as well.

As for all the "this motor is rubbish comments" drop down to your local wrecking yard for outboards and pick me up some of the large pile that obviously are down there that were unrepairable as I actually haven't see many and probably 70% of any brand in a wrecker have been mistreated in some way to start with.

Of all the brands and models of 5 year old outboards can anyone start a list of ones that are dogs, handgrenades or whatever. Seen a few that placed on the wrong hulls didn't do well and most have some issues here and there that require monitering like scale in water cooled oil filters and so on but nothing that if kept on top of that is going to kill a motor. All brands are pretty well engineered , have better consistancy and initial quality of materials than any motor more than 8 years ago and should last longer if looked after. If you say anything different you are full of it.

Who has directly had a completely failed motor apart from the 3-5 that I think have been mentioned on here before?
What recent problems have they been having and some must have a few hours on them by now?

Is your dealer and the person who set motor up a etec trained mechanic and rigger?
Have you got a copt of the dealers printout from the diagnostic he ran showing the codes on teh motor? Get it he will have it stored on his computer and keep it with your service , warranty receipts.
Did your dealer do a compression check?
Did your dealer do a coil output test?
Did your dealer put ner fuel filter on?
Did your dealer check filter in ttom of oil resovior?
Did your dealer check for oil leaks?
Did your dealer tank test the motor now and on predelivery and could the problem be made to reoccur?
Did your dealer test existing plug new ones in as a precaution?
Did he offer to replace ECU or all 3 injectors if it reoccurs and he can't diagnose it especially since he knows you are doing bar work and you may die!!!????

Alll the above go for any motor it doesn't have to be a 2 stroke , 4 stroke or a etec the above summary fits for any motor. It ain't exactly rocket science and the dealer either wants you as a customer or he doesn't?

Oh yeah and if you want to do a something simple while motor is turned off just go to each injector and confirm hat the plugs from the loom are seated properly and clipped in cleanly along with any other electrical connectors. Often the dealers seem to rely on diagnostics of ECU these days and forget to open their friggin eyes to the simple obvious things like a split spark plug boot etc etc.\

Either way put up some more info and forget the knockers as they are just too scared to even believe their motors could ever have an issue - but of course they all do at some point.

Yours shouldn't be a drama

Be a lo better if people here actually tried to be constructive and help rather than piss take everything.

Challenge is there for anyone to go to a wreckers and get a photograph of all the less than 5 year old motors - not that many of any brand.

Ditto!
Good to see something constructive!;)

Dave_H
31-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Just a quick question to the thread starter....

Have you used the same oil (brand etc) for the life of the engine or have you possibly (even for one litre of oil when stuck somewhere) used or changed brands at some stage?

I have once (given it was many many years ago) seen oil gelling in the bottom of an oil tank causing the oil pick-up to block in an old OMC VRO. It is sometimes caused by changing two stroke oil brands or types (mineral to synthetic for arguments sake).

Regards,

Dave H.

stinky-stabi
31-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Just a quick question to the thread starter....

Have you used the same oil (brand etc) for the life of the engine or have you possibly (even for one litre of oil when stuck somewhere) used or changed brands at some stage?

I have once (given it was many many years ago) seen oil gelling in the bottom of an oil tank causing the oil pick-up to block in an old OMC VRO. It is sometimes caused by changing two stroke oil brands or types (mineral to synthetic for arguments sake).

Regards,

Dave H.

no dave have used xd100 from day one m8....

Dave_H
31-05-2009, 07:17 PM
no dave have used xd100 from day one m8....

I just thought I'd throw that idea forward if you hadn't thought of that yet.

Dave

cormorant
31-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Here is one for the etec haters

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EVINRUDE-225-H-O-E-TEC-POWERHEAD-DAMAGED_W0QQitemZ110395461936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Boat_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b4151130&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0| 293%3A1|294%3A50

Seems they won't run underwater so we can't use em on our collins class

FNQCairns
31-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Here is one for the etec haters

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EVINRUDE-225-H-O-E-TEC-POWERHEAD-DAMAGED_W0QQitemZ110395461936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Boat_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b4151130&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0| 293%3A1|294%3A50

Seems they won't run underwater so we can't use em on our collins class

If speculating, that seems like a very good investment to make for 2k, keep it in the shed all rust proofed/protected, sell in bits and pieces...there will be lots of very eager buyers once these engines come out of warranty, all those bits must add up to at least 13k over the counter today possibly more. Sold in bits in 4/5 years time a person might at least treble their initial outlay.

cheers fnq