PDA

View Full Version : Bubi's maiden voyage to the banks

wags on the water
29-05-2009, 07:32 PM
It was an early start to the day, as the crew for the day left Brisbane at 2.30am. We met up with the slipper-wearing skipper of Rebait at the Nudgee Shell servo. Both boats were on the water around 5am and we proceeded with the rest of the fishing community towards the banks.

We headed to one of Phil's marks (as a starting point) and dropped the baits to the bottom. In a matter of seconds....not minutes.....the first tussle with the monsters of the deep was underway. Paul was hooked to a monster on the bottom outfit - 50lb braid, 80lb leader. Tim and I thought he was just playing with it, but in fact it was just toying with the bloke holding the rod. After a short fight, the monster won.

We were wondering where Team Rebait got to, so a call was made only to hear of engine trouble and we'll be out there soon.

As we drifted the mark, we boated many undersize Red-throats, Iodine bream and Hussar. The Hussar were the first to be kept cold in the esky. Tuskies were the next species in the box, followed closely by a Grassy then more Hussar. After drifting for a while the call came to anchor up on a decent show in the same area.

Paul was getting good at calling the fish on the way up.......Damn Red-throat.... Red-throat again......"what do you have this time Paul?".......probably another red-throat.....and so it goes......

Amongst the school of Hussar, were Trevally and Rosy Jobfish - Tim caught two of these and released them back over the side. Within minutes Paul was onto another monster. Same as the last time - short fight and the monster was gone.. Monster fish 2 - Paul 0. More RTE, then as Tim is playing with another rod, the bottom rig goes off. I called it - "Tim you've got a bite" and IMO he wasn't going to grab it, so I grabbed the rod and started winding it in..... "I think it's a good fish Tim!"

Shouting is heard......"THAT'S MY $%#%#!$%# ROD - GIVE IT HERE!!!!!!" I feared for my life if I didn't hand it over.....
Well the big man was huffing and puffing and finally had a monster boatside. This poor fish was gut-hooked by both rigs on the patternoster. The line between the two rigs was cut through....This is what I call a very unlucky fish. In the net and onboard weighing in at 16lb was Tim's Amberjack (positively identified this time).

Paul had boated a lot of undersize RTE and then up came, what I thought at the time was, a Coronation Trout. A couple of quick photos then back to the reef for him. Just before writing this report, I found out it was a Gold-Spot Wrasse. Sorry Paul. This one could've been cold too. Paul had a go at flicking the plastic around as his bottom outfit goes off again. He has no objection to me grabbing it and after another short fight....the monsters win again. All the lost fish were on a 50lb outfit. I think it might be time to change to 80lb braid before the next trip out.

A move to the south about 9km had us boating even more RTE and a Mactuna. Time was ticking and the call was made to head for home. Glassed out conditions made for a comfortable ride back the the ramp.

Thanks for another great day on the water Tim.

Cheers,
Wags

46801 46802 46803

46804 46808

Angla
29-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I reckon those hussar are a sweet feed. Nice little bag of fish anyway. Those RTE are a pain in the butt, if only they would grow a bit.

Cheers
Chris

jtpython
29-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Awesome trip good to chat to you today bragging of your onslaught............Them wrasse are top table fish to i hear. Nice colour to your esky
Them Pink Hussars are good to chew as well.
And no tangles ?
LOL
Congrates boys
JT
I'm heading tomorrow to but don't think it'll be a huge trip Some squiding and a troll i'd planned
JT

-spiro-
29-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Well i thought i was going to have to read a 2 page esay about all the fish wags. Where the big bloke? Still stuffed?
Good to be back there mate?
Cheers Chris

jtpython
29-05-2009, 07:54 PM
He is probaley stuffed from having to do Wags share of cleaning the boat :P

wags on the water
29-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Angla - Chris - maybe this time next year for the RTE

Spiro - Chris - maybe next trip.

JT - I'm sure Tim will reply with a tangles report.

skipalong
29-05-2009, 07:56 PM
great fishing guys nice ambo

cheers justin

wags on the water
29-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Yep - must admit I did sleep in a bit this morning and by the time I got over to Tim's place the boat was almost clean.....

TimiBoy
29-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks Wags for taking the stress of producing a report. I'm full of rum and wasn't gonna...

Bloody good day - the fish didn't play that much, but just enough. Nice to have some good fish aboard, dispels the myth of a Bubi curse, it's just inexperience after all.

Young Bonney's a great find, watch out, this guy will learn to outfish us all! I can't wait to get up there again, I hope to share some fish and some laughs with you all again! Phill, I'd be making sure of that hose of yours. Keep it in your pants next time.

My advice is, make sure of your berley. If you don't feed Tropicrows (Bruce, me old Mate) the right stuff (peanut butter sangers) he won't bring you the fish.

Cheers,Tim

TimiBoy
29-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry to add to my post - Wags was AN HOUR LATE + for boat cleaning, but he does such a good job cleaning the fish - I used to call him "squid boy", but now he's a "scrubber!"

Bonney left the tub immaculate, I just have to polish her now. Lucky me!

Hats off to Wags for the work he put in to Bonney. Bonney's a n00b, but Wags is a very, VERY good teacher - Bonney learn't a ton yesterday, cried over his bustoffs but soon they will convert into good fish. I'm way too impatient for that, I am... soooo glad I had the WAGonator on board!

Cheers,

Tim

dayoo
29-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Nice feed. Pitty about releasing the Gold Spot Wrasse as they are top tucker.
I had one tonight for dinner...bloody beautiful.

Cheers
Barry

-spiro-
29-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Wheres Rebaits report?
PHILL

hoodunnit
29-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the good side of town boys, even on a slow day you can scrape together a feed at the banks

finding_time
29-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Wheres Rebaits report?
PHILL

Spiro
I think there still on there way back in!!!;) It's a long way home from the banks doing 1 knot!!!:o :o :o

Ian

wags on the water
29-05-2009, 08:34 PM
That's the second time I've not identified the wrasse (18 months apart though). I'm printing and laminating some cards as I type.

dogsbody
29-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Good to see you blokes getting some runs on the board.

Dave

tailorboi99
29-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Great haul of fish there mate. Lovely pictures too, added that extra touch to the report. 10/10!

Tom

murf
29-05-2009, 09:59 PM
ahhh the old gold spot trick haha heaps of the critters up at Fraser as well as Coronation

got a feed and had a good day so its a good one then ;D

hope you didn't clean the smell of fish out of the boat :P

cheers Murf

GBP1978
29-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Your grassy looks like a baby spangled to me, Mabye need to have a look at that id to.

reel scream
29-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Great report guys. Sorry to Timi because i just woke him up......doh.

"Tim you've got a bite" and IMO he wasn't going to grab it, so I grabbed the rod and started winding it in..... "I think it's a good fish Tim!" as his bottom outfit goes off again. He has no objection to me grabbing it and after another short fight....the monsters win again

Shouting is heard......"THAT'S MY $%#%#!$%# ROD - GIVE IT HERE

Wags.

. sounds like you need a foot rope to pull you back from other blokes rods;D , especially when you drop the fish::) .

Great you all got a feed. Sounds like time to upgrade the line and hold on maybe?

Cheers

Scott

outsiderskip
30-05-2009, 04:44 AM
tim was overwhelmed catching fish that why he dodntdo a report
good repots wags at least he got a few fish this time
it took him some time to reply to few suppose he got over the shock
god report and nice fish
pete

backlash08
30-05-2009, 05:38 AM
and great weather as well! glad you enjoyed M/ba and the banks
cheers - Craig

wags on the water
30-05-2009, 06:11 AM
I was once told to ID a spangled it must have the blue lines that run from the nose to the eyes. I used to throw back well legal grassies I thought were spangled. This particular fish didn't have the lines so it went into the box as a grassy. I'll dig the head out of the freezer on bin day and send it to you ...

wags on the water
30-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Deleted post.....

wags on the water
30-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Great report guys. Sorry to Timi because i just woke him up......doh.

"Tim you've got a bite" and IMO he wasn't going to grab it, so I grabbed the rod and started winding it in..... "I think it's a good fish Tim!" as his bottom outfit goes off again. He has no objection to me grabbing it and after another short fight....the monsters win again

Shouting is heard......"THAT'S MY $%#%#!$%# ROD - GIVE IT HERE

Wags.

. sounds like you need a foot rope to pull you back from other blokes rods;D , especially when you drop the fish::) .

Great you all got a feed. Sounds like time to upgrade the line and hold on maybe?

Cheers

Scott

I'd hate to see an outfit snap in two because the fisherman wasn't quick enough to grab it from the holder.........that's my excuse anyway;)

As a first trip to the banks, with minimal knowledge, the second, third,fourth etc. trips will bring more colour to the esky. Is it right/'the norm' to leave a restricted support vessel and head further afield to find fish?

Thanks for the replies everyone. :thumbsup:

backlash08
30-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Scott, what depth of water were you fishing mostly?
I'd back it as a spangled

cheers - Craig

Smithy
30-05-2009, 07:08 AM
That is also a high fin amberjack or what they call an almaco jack in North America. They carry a bit more weight through the body than a normal one and don't grow as big.

Hard to tell from that pic if that is a spangled or grass emperor but I am tending to a yellow lipper. The moses must have been a good size one. I am guessing all the cut pec fins are facing down and that is why we can't see them. Anyone else reading this and who has been used to catching pearlies and snapper has gotta remember to clip pec fins once you get into territory where coral reef finfish reside. Ask the bloke that duded himself out of the prize winning red emperor at this year's Fraser comp about that one. The fishos also only have one main ramp to patrol now at Mooloolaba and I saw them twice this week. I also saw a bloke in a runabout tinny filleting reef fish while travelling up the river toward the ramp this week. Also flirting with getting done by doing that.

Good little haul for your first bash at out there all the same! Miles and miles of country to exlore.

wags on the water
30-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Craig - 50-60m

Smithy - the Moses Perch, a Tuskie or two and some Hussar came from Bruce on Rebait. They looked better in our pic.

Thanks guys gotta run.

backlash08
30-05-2009, 07:28 AM
there are many unstoppable cod out there, if what was busting you up was slow and strong, a safe bet, the obvious offenders are there in numbers as well, grey suits and horse AJ's

cheers - Craig

jtpython
30-05-2009, 07:29 AM
If you come across the yellow's They have a ball type jiont when filleting where the pectoral fin is it quite large compared to the Grassy's
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/lippers.jpg

backlash08
30-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Anyone else reading this and who has been used to catching pearlies and snapper has gotta remember to clip pec fins once you get into territory where coral reef finfish reside. . I also saw a bloke in a runabout tinny filleting reef fish while travelling up the river toward the ramp this week. Also flirting with getting done by doing that.

point well made Smithy

rubba
30-05-2009, 09:57 AM
good on you fellas good report and nice feed 8-)

GBC
30-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Good times and lots of laughs seem to be the order of the day wherever you blokes go - well done.

Tangles
30-05-2009, 05:23 PM
looks like you lot had a good play with the fish..... might have to up the anti on the braid front Timi ,, think big.... 500lb braid:D

Lucky_Phill
30-05-2009, 07:48 PM
OK.

About 30k's out the motor has a dummy spit. Running on 3 cylinders ???

Bruce looks over the back to see water coming out of every available hole in the cowling.

I lift the cowling to discover that a hose has made it's way loose from just before the T piece to the tell tale, hence filling the bottom of the shroud and up inside the cowling with sea water. Quite a lot of electrics were covered in water. I removed lots of plugs, connectors etc and also checked the fuel system.

This seemed to be the issue and mis-firing. We dried, cleaned and squirted the WD40 and still wouldn't come good. We had idle power and revs, but under load she bucked.

We had a decision to make.... limp back to port at 10 kph ( 3 hours ) or limp out to nth banks and hope for best.

We chugged out at 2000rpm to about mid nth banks, found rough bottom and threw the pick overboard.

Funny thing is every drop was a fish for an hour or so. No size to speak of but Bruce and I were having a ball. My side of the boat was the RTE and Bruce's was Tuskies >????

The cowling was removed to ' air ' the motor. We decided to move towards Team Bubi as they seemed to be getting exicted on the VHF ???

Fished around the area both drifting and anchoring. Bruce hooked up to a fast moving locomotive and no sooner had I explained what usually happens...... twag, yep, monstered........

We called it a day with the thought of a 3- 4 hour trip home due to motor issues. Not so..... I cranked the Honda up to 4000rpm with no mis fires, so good time was made. I did haul in a round post about 50cms long and 25 cms round. This was floating in a current line some 16k's from Harbour. Hitting that at night would cause some damage.

I'd like to thank Bruce ( Tropicrows ) for his company and enthusiasm, and ya welcome on ReBait anytime.

Even though the Honda went OK on the return trip, I am having a tech look at it on Monday.... to be sure...to be sure.

That's my report and I am sticking to it.

AND, so what if I wear slippers when fishing :P ;) :P keeps me tootsies warm.

Phill

MEGA'bite
30-05-2009, 09:52 PM
well done mike , after speaking with you this arvo i managed one barra approx 54cm too flathead approx 40cm and too trav approx 1kg all went back in .

i love palm is will b off to the reef on tues cant wait, i do have pics cheers adrian

Black_Rat
31-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Nice report fellas ! and some nice fish.

May many a fish hit Bubi's deck in months to come ;D

rat_catcher
31-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I reckon those hussar are a sweet feed.
Agreed!!! If they are legal size I keep them too.

tropicrows
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Good report Phill,
Straight to the point, for a while their it looked like we may have erect a sail and turn Rebait into a yacht. A good time was had by all, but this getting up at 1am to go fishing is a killer. I must be getting old.
Thanks Phill for the opportunity to fish from Rebait very enjoyable despite to engine not playing ball. Nice rig but next time I’m gonna bring a small stool so I to can see over the wind screen.;)

revs57
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Geez Bruce a small stool mate??? I'd reckon Phil might appreciate that!!!!, I can just imagine the banter

Timiboy (looking intently at the deck of Rebait) "Oh wow Phil, what's that"?
Lucky Phil (in slippers) "ahhh its that tropicrows, He left a small stool on the deck"::)

cheers

Rhys

tropicrows
01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Perhaps I should have said a small foot stool or bench. Phill knows what I'm talking about, nothing stange going on here boys

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that Rhys, I was eating my dinner and reading this. :P

The windscreen level on ReBait is set so that if one stands on the floor, you look through the windscreen, if you sit on the chair, you look through the windscreen.

BTW, it is a brand new tinted screen.

So, I have made up a " standing platform " that is about 150mm high, thus enabling me to see ' OVER " the windscreen and get that fresh sea air in my face. ;D

Phill

propdinger
02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
So, I have made up a " standing platform " that is about 150mm high, thus enabling me to see ' OVER " the windscreen and get that fresh sea air in my face. ;D

Phill

I remember more than fresh air coming over the screen Phill from a trip awhile back

MICHAELG
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Phil

It is a bit rough when you invite a boiler maker from down south out on Rebait and he wants to complain:-*

Michael

Lucky_Phill
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Will we see you at Agnes.... Michael. I might even fish one of your marks this year. ;) :-X

Jeez Jeff, that was a while ago and BTW, that was side on to a very stiff breeze and nasty seas. AND I got ya home OK, maybe a tad wet, but hey !!!;D

Bruce. I have had the motor fully serviced and all is " Thunderbirds are go "

New coil, fuel filters, oil filter , oils, plugs......... everything including compression test. All is good.

Cheers Phill

MICHAELG
04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Phill

I hope to. Now have a mate living up there permanently and he own's an 8m boat.
My marks ha:-X they should be going off since the last 3 trips to 1770 have been a bust due to bad weather:P

michael

ps when is my next dinner invite;D

tropicrows
04-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Phil, If knew you knew Michael I could have told you a few good stories.

Lucky_Phill
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I know everyone on Ausfish.......... ;) :-X ;D ;D

I could tell you a few stories...............:o 8-)

phill

revs57
05-06-2009, 07:44 AM
particulalry about stools...