PDA

View Full Version : kevlacat/ cougar cat ,opinions

lou reed
29-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey all lookin to upgrade from current boat to a cat of some type and was looking at a couple on another boat selling placey and spotted a 6.2 kevlacat with twin 70 , 2 bangers and also a 7.0 cougar cat with twin etec 70 and was wondering where these two boats would stack up against each other in terms of overall performance ie fuel , ride , space looking to use the boat for 2 to 3 day trips around the reefs ,

any opinions ?

finding_time
29-05-2009, 06:32 PM
A 6.2 Kc with 70's will be very underpowered and same would go with the 7.0m Cougar i would think! The kc should run 90's a minimum and you would think the 7.0m Cougar would need around 140's at least to take you for a "walk on the wild side";) Sorry couldn't help myself!!!:-[ Dadoo dadoodadoo dodododadoodadoodoooooooooooo!:P

GBC
29-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Mate people on this site don't get jokes about high speed mullet slugs - so your [albeit very funny] L.R. jibe is going to fly high across some heads::)::)::);D.

Agree the HP sounds more like houseboat range than speedboat - not that I know too much about pussys.

insideout
29-05-2009, 06:52 PM
yes i also believe that the 6.2 with 70 2 strokes will also be a slow moving beestie and would repower also. If you have the cash , hold out for a kc , for they have a good name and resale is always good down the track also. I have owned 2 and loved em both.

There is an old saying that goes, u may have the cash to buy it , but running it is another matter.... Bear in mind that while the ride in a 2400, 6.2, 5.2 is sensational, owning a cat is marginally more expensive exersize. Upkeep is an ongoing expense i found, if you own a newer model, to keep it looking new, but hey....thats boating ::) ::)

lou reed
29-05-2009, 06:55 PM
whoops sorry guys not 70s on the kevla but 90s

KEVLACAT Yamaha 90 hp motors. Cruises well at 40 -45 k's. Top speed around 55

COUGAR CAT Twin 75hp, 2008 ETEC Evinrude motors, same power output as twin 90hp

cormorant
29-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Are those speeds in knots , MPH or KM/h. I ask as many boat dealers seem to have trouble telling the difference when selling boats!!!

Are they 4stroke Yammies?

finding_time
29-05-2009, 07:49 PM
COUGAR CAT Twin 75hp, 2008 ETEC Evinrude motors, same power output as twin 90hp

e-tec 75hp motors produce 75 hp if they produced 90hp then they would be 90 e-tecs!! ;) Who ever stated the above quote is playing with it!!!;) Alot!!!!:P

Vitamin Sea
29-05-2009, 08:54 PM
COUGAR CAT Twin 75hp, 2008 ETEC Evinrude motors, same power output as twin 90hp[/quote]

That's a good one, new I should have gone with the 150 that produces 200;D

Salespeople

Cheers

VS

NQ-FISH
29-05-2009, 09:58 PM
MATE if you are looking at a 7mtr cougar cat i would take the time to ring cougar cat as the owner of cougar cat will give you all the information you need and is very helpful. You will be very surprised with the information he will give you.

julian1
29-05-2009, 10:39 PM
are cougar cat still in business ?? i didn't realise Cougar cat even made a 7.0m ?? i thought the smallest was the 7.8m ??

stevej
30-05-2009, 09:17 AM
e-tec 75hp motors produce 75 hp if they produced 90hp then they would be 90 e-tecs!! ;) Who ever stated the above quote is playing with it!!!;) Alot!!!!:P

underrated 90s to get round insurance i suppose, same with the high outputs if they high output put the correct hp ratigon th eboat

but then prob all marketing bs as no one has any way of checking

Noelm
30-05-2009, 10:05 AM
a 6.2 with 90 yamahas would be pushing it to get 55KPH, been in hundreds of them with that configuration, they go OK, but only OK, 115 is the power for that boat, no doubt, the 90V4 OMC was a bit more OK, but still not like a pair of 115's, repowered a couple from 90 to 115's and it is like chalk and cheese, 10 times the boat with better power, don't know about the Cougar though, only one I ever spent any time is was diesel powered, great boat that one.

cormorant
30-05-2009, 11:37 AM
MATE if you are looking at a 7mtr cougar cat i would take the time to ring cougar cat as the owner of cougar cat will give you all the information you need and is very helpful. You will be very surprised with the information he will give you.

Obviously the guy from cougar cat will give info but what will be so surprising about it?

What are the positives and negatives comparing these 2 boats and can the person who asked the question put up a photos of the rigs he is considering?

Noel , no fuel, no windscreen, stripped out every cushion and anchor, on a glassy lake with right props - maybe???? That is why I asked as I couldn't make it add up.

I haven't been in a small cougar only the bigger ones

NQ-FISH
30-05-2009, 12:48 PM
JULIAN 1 You are right they don't make a 7mtr boat.Yes they are still in business. Their smallest beam boat is 3mtrs and their smallest length boat is definitely not 7mtrs, but im not sure exactly what is is.

lou reed
30-05-2009, 02:13 PM
thankz cormorant pics as requested

kevla
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2942799

cougar
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3029067

hey noelm you seem to have a fair degree of knowledge regarding cats in general if you had to pick between the too what would be your choice for 2 day trips to outer reefs say 50nm from ramp

boatboy50
30-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey Lou,

I'm sure Cougar Cat is no longer in business. They were called Ozy Cat for a while, but I think they died a slow death also.

The first boat would be the pick IMHO. I don't think those new nineties will do too bad a job either.

The second boat is definately not a Cougar Cat. I don't know the brand (I think it was made down South), and I've seen the boat moored on the Brisbane River in person. I think it would be closer to 6.6m overall too.

Regards

Darren

Lovey80
31-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Im no expert but lou i im the same position as you in looking for a larger style cat. I saw that boat a long time back and though to myslef if I was to buy that boat I would want at LEAST 140hp a side on it. To me it looks like one of the Devil cat series???? Im probaly totaly wrong and it may not be a devil, but my thoughts when first seeing that boat on boatpoint was that it was a planning style cat set up more like a displacement cat,

Cheeers

Chris

lou reed
31-05-2009, 09:49 AM
hey guys rung the one on the river and he informed me that he had been in contact with cougar and they had leased out moulds to some private guys and in turn has been labelled a cougar

the owner of the cougar reckons 23 knots cruise and 30 knots wot average fuel economy 1ltr/hour,

hmm...... sounds not too bad but prolly underpowered for my use,prefer sumthin with a little more get up and go