PDA

View Full Version : 4 Way Hook Up

ON-THE-CHEW
29-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Had a RDO planned all week for thursday and for once the weather was what it predicted, almost perfect. My biggest problems was I couldn't find any of my mates that had the day off. Tuesday night thankfully Ben agreed to come, then on wednesday night at about 930 Greg a mate of mine that lives over at New Cal messaged me and said he was in the country and was keen to go fishing if I had any days off. Messaged him back, sweet now we had three.

Late rise as I new big run out tide in the morning didn't feel like washing machine action so left my place about 630. On the way to the ramp another mate of mine Mark (PlasticFantastic) rings me up to see if we had left yet, we hadn't so he met us at cleveland boat ramp.

Perfect morning on the bay, once we got through the bar, it was calm outside as well with a rolling swell. Greg living at New Cal had only done trolling so I wanted him to have a go at plasticing and light jigging and I wanted to through poppers and stick baits all day so we headed off to some of the shallow reefs around straddy.

First spot we arrived at we where welcomed with awesome shows on the sounder, every drift there was at least one fish landed or a dust up or bite offs. It was very tempting to put the popping rod down but when there was that much bait there I had to stay strong. Mean while the guys where cleaning up, Mark (PlasticFantastic) got a couple of snapper one his pb 84cms and 7.5kg on a Maria Jig, Ben and Greg got a few mack tuna (kept for Gregs dogs) then Greg got his pb snapper 75cms. I couldn't resist any longer changed over to a plastic, then first drift we had four way hook up, ended up getting my self a 75 cms snapper, then back to the stickbaits.

Stayed here for a bit longer but the bite died off, went and tried some deep jigging grounds, Greg got dusted up by something huge but not much else. Went back to the first spot Mark managed to hook something big that didn't want to come up, he spent 2 hours on the fish (of which most of this time I slept, bloody sea sick tablets) as it was starting to get late he decided to tighten the drag up, which on its next run snapped the braid.

Time to head back smooth seas still, got back and the bar was now into a full run out and was a bit messy but got through no worries. Was heading down the rainbow do about 4000 revs and the etec just died. Came up with Injector Malfunction See Dealer (i thought a bit hard out in the middle of the bay). Luckily we flagged down a passing boat and they gave us a tow back to cleveland.

Even with the motor shitting itself every one had a really good day and everyone took home a feed. Just very lucky the motor shit itself once back through the bar or I might not have been so lucky.

ON-THE-CHEW charters cleans up again, three pbs:) , lots of fish caught:) , lots of gear lost:) (lots of critters with very sharp teeth), another great day out on the water.

Andrew

Te Whiti
29-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Well done Andrew, a good read and great Snapper.

But that Etec is a bit of a worry...I have an Etec myself, fingers crossed it doenst conk out when I am offshore....I dont know what I'd do....

You were very lucky to flag down a passing boat. Hope the problem isnt costly and you gain confidence in the engine again.

Mark

nickstock
29-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Great report mate and some ripper Snapper! Is that a Galeforce?

Nick

Fish_gutz
29-05-2009, 12:30 PM
some nice snapps there , hope you got your radio drama`s sorted , I was in the bay and could hardly hear you. Cheers Andrew

STUIE63
29-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Great report mate and some ripper Snapper! Is that a Galeforce?

Nick
Nick it is a galeforce
Stuie

lethal098
29-05-2009, 03:45 PM
stuie, yeah never nice having an engine die, but it dulls the pain when you have aboat full of fish, the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago coming back from the banks, 5000rpm the whole way until a km before Pt cartwright, turns out injector bolt had broken due to a recall i was told of by the manufacturer, but the exky was full and we had a friend with us that towed us in. hope its not too much please keep us informed, cheers Lee

PlasticFantastic
29-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah i'm glad I took that day off from work, even though I wont get paid for it. Good fun that light jigging though pity I ended up loosing 5 of the Maria jigs but was worth it in the end. I'm thinking I might have to ditch the plastics and go metal after yesterdays effort. Also would've liked to have seen what it was we were chasing for two hours as my left arm is sore as after that, here's a pic of the the rod from the one that got away. Check out the bend!:o

PlasticFantastic

bluefin59
29-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Great work their guys looks like a fun trip hope the problem with the e-tec is only small ,hope to seeyou out there ...matt

jtpython
29-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Some great knobbies there good going guys
Wish i had RDO's
JT

trymyluck
29-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Well done guys, great to see someone is getting into the fish.Maybe i 'll have to find the number for ON THE CHEW charters.;D;D;D

TimiBoy
29-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Nice work Boys. I stick my nose out there, and I can pick this Winter, it's STINKIN' with fish!

Sorry to hear about that white bomb on your arse.

Cheers,

Tim

ON-THE-CHEW
29-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Nickstock,
Yes it is a Galeforce, 5.5 metre
FishGutz,
Don't know what the go was with the ariel, Redcliff could hear me loud and clear but Manly and yourself couldn't might have to get it sussed out. I could hear everyone no worries.

Got the boat book in for wednesday, better be a warranty job.

Andrew

Still and awesome day out.