PDA

View Full Version : Barwon Banks 28.05.09

nezevic99
29-05-2009, 09:06 AM
With the weather report the way it was, work was never an option for yesterday. We made our maiden trip to the Barwon banks. Soon after we pulled up, we had two fish swimming around the back of the boat just below the level of recognition. We sat staring at them for a bit then one rose closer to the surface chasing a hooked fish. Hmm they look very much like cobia. So I get out a circle hook, tie it straight onto the trace and carefully thread on half a squid. Toss it out the back and start stripping line so that it drifts down unimpeded. The larger of the two fish glides over, inspects it and then engulfs it. Wait a second, then come up tight thinking “you little beauty”. After a very short tussle, a bloody remora around a metre long hits the surface. Talk about a disappointment. In the end we scored 7 good size tuskfish and a nice kingie to pad out the fish box. A nice feed for our families and an excuse to go again. For all those who didn’t take the day off, I tell you it was a beautiful day to be alive.

To those who fish the banks regularly… We found that in less than 40m of water all we got were plagues of undersize red throat and iodine bream. In 45-55m we only got the tuskfish and in 60m and over we couldn’t raise a strike. Is this normal?

backlash08
29-05-2009, 10:05 AM
juvile RTE have been in plague numbers for the last year and yes, in around 30-40M, you will often get good catchs in +60M
enjoy exporing the banks!
cheers - Craig

Vitamin Sea
29-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Gidday

Yes we were out there to, found the red throats, certainly plenty of them, did get two legals though, one nice one around 55 cm, other about 45.

Also got a coronation trout, my first, which was good.

Found some squire out in 80m, got our bag, only small fish however did find a cobe out there as well.

Perfect day.

Cheers

Bill

dayoo
29-05-2009, 11:55 AM
The Banks fished very well yesterday see my separate report which will be posted in about 30 minutes. Most times the fish seem to be in selected spots 60 to 70 metres deep. Pays to explore if you put in the time and effort you will find the good spots.

Cheers
Barry

-spiro-
29-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Well said Bazza
What was the conditions like out there?

lethal098
29-05-2009, 03:54 PM
spiro, from what i heard from everyone it was flat flat flat, you should have taken jonno out for a fish instead of sleeping!!!! cheers Lee

hungry6
29-05-2009, 03:54 PM
The bank always fished well 80+ for me, and all those rat RTE got to get big one day.

-spiro-
29-05-2009, 05:48 PM
spiro, from what i heard from everyone it was flat flat flat, you should have taken jonno out for a fish instead of sleeping!!!! cheers Lee

Lee ya joking right? Some people have to work for a living8-)

The bank always fished well 80+ for me, and all those rat RTE got to get big one day.
They taste pretty good to!;D

jtpython
29-05-2009, 06:10 PM
i'm with you mate Spiro.......... Wags rang me to tell of their onslaught Sheeshus go to work you buggars . LOL
JT

skipalong
29-05-2009, 07:46 PM
nice work fellas

lethal098
31-05-2009, 08:14 AM
chris, yeah but hey sleep can wait!!!