PDA

View Full Version : Bait Question

SandStorm
28-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Have any of you chaps tried octopus and/or oysters.. both are abundant and cheap over here, how did those of you that used the baits get on?

So far I've blanked on both...:'(

SandStorm
31-05-2009, 03:16 AM
come on lads one of you must have tried either

Lovey80
31-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Octopus fresh is a great saltwater bait. Nice and tough to outlast the pickers. Nice large strips of tenticle.Oysters are not cheap over here but I do remember as a kid catching large bream (nothing like freshwater bream) on them. It took 2 or 3 oysters to hide a small hook though

Cheers
Chris

therapy
31-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Sandstorm,
You'll find a member of this site by the name of Justjack used occy tentacles for snapper off the rocks at one of our island headlands so they will work in the right places. As Lovey80 said, oysters aren't cheap over here so you won't find to many people using them for bait.

Cheer...........Terry.............

SandStorm
01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
We've got millions of oysters in our rivers, humm native noooooooooooo! pacific oysters! no native cockles , mussels or oysters left only pacific oysters, another enviromental c@ck-up..

Well i've go a bucket load in the fridge big hand sized oysters...

walugi
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
no kidding...

i hate you so much :-)

Mac1952
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Sandstorm,

In South Africa, an Occy tentacle about 12-18 inches long would be considered the absolute #1 bait for big Mulloway/Jewfish (Known as Cob, Salmon, Kabeljou over there)
In fact, the world record for this species used to be around 54kgs., caught on the Cape east cast (Mosselbay area) using an Occy tentacle for bait.

Don't know if this species of fish is encountered in the U.K., but if it works for one predator, it should work for others as well. I just find octopus hard to come by in Queensland, otherwise I for one would certainly use it when chasing Jewies.

Give it a go, and use big baits!

Good luck, mate.:D

SandStorm
02-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Sandstorm,

In South Africa, an Occy tentacle about 12-18 inches long would be considered the absolute #1 bait for big Mulloway/Jewfish (Known as Cob, Salmon, Kabeljou over there)
In fact, the world record for this species used to be around 54kgs., caught on the Cape east cast (Mosselbay area) using an Occy tentacle for bait.

Don't know if this species of fish is encountered in the U.K., but if it works for one predator, it should work for others as well. I just find octopus hard to come by in Queensland, otherwise I for one would certainly use it when chasing Jewies.

Give it a go, and use big baits!

Good luck, mate.:D

No Jewies here mate, but we do have his little cousin the European bass...;)

oldboot
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Ocky leg is a well favoured bait for those that can get it. W have commercilay packed small ocky and squid innthe bait fridges......little ockies are getting too popular for stirfrying though.

I have tried oysters and mussels stright off the rocks and onto the hook, but they are a bit small and soft.

cheers

revs57
09-06-2009, 09:22 AM
G'day SS,

I reckon the oysters would be a little difficult to keep on the hook - pretty soft, but the Occy - now that' sanother story - if we're lucky enough to ever pluck one, or if my local tackle store can get them, always a favorite bait for snapper and other reefies that frequent the waters over here.

A large occy tenticle floated under a small ball sinker is irrestable for big snapper just about where ever you go

cheers

Rhys

reidy
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Small baby octys make the best bait around for off shore flatties,Early each summer the off shores are usally full of the above,i guess any bottom feeder would happily accept a fresh baby octy or octy tentical as a bait up your way.
Cheers
Reidy

SandStorm
11-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I have tried oysters and mussels stright off the rocks and onto the hook, but they are a bit small and soft.

cheers

Ive tried them again, I put them on a size 2/0 hook and bind them with bait elastic, I can cast them out 150m succesfully..

Can you guys buy bait cotton/elastic in Oz?

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/themajor2312/?action=view&current=MOV00315.flv

Sea-Dog
15-06-2009, 10:37 PM
You can get frozen Octopus in Woolies.

Each Occy is about 15 - 20 Cm from top of the head to the tip of the tentacles

I think about $10/ Kilo

madmac
14-07-2009, 07:17 PM
octopus works well offshore for snapper, oysters are good for bream and other species in the estuary.

uglyfish
21-07-2009, 04:59 PM
go to raptis or fish factory,occy there most times..i got a kilo in the frezer now

GAFYM
21-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Bit late on this one.....But used to wait until low tide then break up the oysters on the rocks. As the tide rose, bream especially went crazy on them as a berley.
Took any bait amongst the crushed stuff. Georges river in Sydney

Jurkyjj
24-07-2009, 09:07 PM
My problem using the oysters for bait would be that we would run out of bait before we started fishing. I LOVE OYSTERS. too much to use them for bait. even if they are a cracker bait. no oyster going over the side in my boat.

Cheers, Jason.

Sea-Dog
25-07-2009, 10:11 AM
My problem using the oysters for bait would be that we would run out of bait before we started fishing. I LOVE OYSTERS. too much to use them for bait. even if they are a cracker bait. no oyster going over the side in my boat.

Cheers, Jason.

My name for oysters - Sea Snots. Yuck!

Michael_R
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Based on the fact that I have only focused on catching Jewies for the last 2 years, I can honestly say that I have not been succesful in attracting them when using FRESH octopus(only tried this about 5 different times though). I have tried whole fresh baby octopus and also fresh tenticles and not once have I even had an enquiry from a jewie. On the other hand, I have found much success when using live or fresh Squid, Tailor, Yellowtail and Mullet. Dont take my response so seriously though as the location where you fish may be completely different in regards to the results you get.

Nevertheless, Good Luck Mate!