PDA

View Full Version : Glass V Plate price difference

Saltboy
28-05-2009, 09:02 PM
People

I don't claim to be a genius so can somebody explain to me why a glass boat of around 6 metres, lets use a Yalta craft 615 for example, fully tricked up for under 50K can be 20K cheaper then a plate boat of similar dimensions and fit-out. I know the glass verses plate thing has been bashed to death, but really where does the difference come from. As somebody who is keen to get back into boating with a young family after a 8 year absence, I am just wondering why the difference. Obviously a lot has changed in 8 years. My last boat was an Ally CC. I'm not here to start a fight, I would just like to know what the difference is these days, as looking around at both types, I'm getting dizzy.

Dave

White Pointer
28-05-2009, 09:25 PM
People

I don't claim to be a genius so can somebody explain to me why a glass boat of around 6 metres, lets use a Yalta craft 615 for example, fully tricked up for under 50K can be 20K cheaper then a plate boat of similar dimensions and fit-out. I know the glass verses plate thing has been bashed to death, but really where does the difference come from. As somebody who is keen to get back into boating with a young family after a 8 year absence, I am just wondering why the difference. Obviously a lot has changed in 8 years. My last boat was an Ally CC. I'm not here to start a fight, I would just like to know what the difference is these days, as looking around at both types, I'm getting dizzy.

Dave

G'day,

The biggest problem for plate boats is that they are vulnerable to commodity pricing. Aluminium prices went through the roof until the GFC hit and then fell through the floor - but the A$ also fell so there was not much initial relief.

At the same time there was a consolidation of metals distributors in Australia and the two that are left in the marine plate business don't actually compete for business. In this tight market area the ACCC probably got shafted on One-Steel's take over of Smorgon.

Added to that, I understand that Marine Plate is only made in France and the USA and they collude to share the available market so that there is not much price competition. This is despite the fact that there in hundreds of thousand of tonnes of it unsold on the London Metals Exchange.

Now, having said all that, the ACCC has given small business the right to collectively bargain against big business - and they are mad if they don't. If all the plate boat builders joined as a collective and issued a tender for marine plate on a 1-year contract - winner takes all - they could easily clip 25% to 30% off the local price.

And that will solve your problem.

Sounds like a good idea for a new Company - Professional Purchasing for ther Boating Industry.

Regards,

White Pointer

finding_time
28-05-2009, 10:03 PM
White Pointer

Do you really think it's just a alloy issue? I know at least 2 blokes that are welding there own and brought the boats in kit form, pre cut. The kits weren't that badly priced from memory, i always assumed it was a labour issue and i also remember what one was quoted for a paint job, not cheap!!!

ian

FNQCairns
28-05-2009, 10:48 PM
It's all of those angles in plate boats, the cab and the extras, takes time to build stuff like that where glass simply gets moulded then fitted...I don't think this is the full story as I believe there is a premium paid for the gruffness of a plate boat...what's that noise Tim The Tool Man makes?:)

Seriously when the cost of aluminium was at an all time high a person could buy a 5.8m 400kg 3mm pressed and basic hull (no cabin,pod,targa etc) for $7k.

Do all your sums based on that!...it's an eye opener...lot's of slush in plate boats but still all those angles take time.

cheers fnq

White Pointer
28-05-2009, 11:39 PM
G'day,

There are hours in welding up a plate boat but there are also hours in setting up the moulds and maintaining the moulds for a 'glass boat.

If currency and commodity prices are "normal" (and there's no such thing) the prices are pretty much on par.

The answer is to buy what meets your needs and buy at the right time. That was bloody helpful, wasn't it!

White Pointer

Saltboy
29-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Guys

Thanks for all the replies. I guess my queries are brought about by things like in the latest Trailerboat Magazine. A 6.2 Barcrusher CC pretty standard fit-out, no bimini, no electronics etc. Okay had a 150 4 banger as opposed to 130 2 stroke, but really is it 25K better boat then the Yalta Craft. Yes I also realise one is a specific fishing boat, but really, couldn't you basically fish the same places in both boats. As mentioned earlier I've had an Ally Craft CC and a Seafarer half Cabin as some of my boats, all bought new. I pretty much went all the same places and beach launched both. CC was easier to tow, I agree but 25K easier??????
Also in there is a 2nd hand Joshua 6.5 centre cab for $67500. They say replacement cost 86K!!!!!!!! That's 40K difference ? Surely any shortcomings a Yalta Craft/ Freedom 6.0 walk-around type boat might have is more then compensated for by the 40K less outlay ? Makes me question how they can make the Formosa range for the price ? Surely 2mm thickness difference in the bottom can't be worth 40K ?

Dave

thelump
29-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I agree mate. There is another post on here talking about a 5.3m Seajay for 50-58K:-/ I might be a bit bias but give me a Yalta anyday;)

timddo
29-05-2009, 08:52 AM
The price difference between 5mm and 6 mm bottoms is only $1000. thats 5083 marine grade. Thats what i was quoted when i orderd my tabs. i got a 5.5 half cab with, kill tank, live bait tank , but a 115 2 stroke for $37,000 including trailer and rego.

Bar crushers start at $50,000- someone must pay for the hype.

Formosa boats use a softer grade of aluminium - hence they are cheaper.

bennyboy
29-05-2009, 09:47 AM
If there was so much money being made by the Aluminium builders how come so many have dissapeared?

If you compare the construction of say a Formosa compared to a Bar Crusher, or Sea Jay Preda king you can easily see where the price difference is.
Looking at the Preda King how many other boats have the fuel tank built inside essentially another tank so if you get a leak you don't have a bomb on your hands. They also do this for the foam so none is touching the hull. There are enormous differences between construction methods. There is alot more than just the outside plate thickness.

If we are looking at cost differences compare the Yalta to a Cruise Craft........

At the end of the day how do you compare a Kia 4WD to a Land Cruiser . Both get you from A to B but which do you drive?

Saltboy
29-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Bennyboy

That's a good point you make with the 4wd example. As I said, I'm not criticising any particular boat. However if you are not exactly a whizz understanding construction type processes, the price variances become mind-boggling to the lay person.