PDA

View Full Version : Lake Jindabyne in winter

bugman
28-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Gents,
We are doing the National Lampoon's family winter vacation to Jindabyne to take the kids to the snow. Three families and 5 kids under 4 :o:o:o

Anyway - never to pass up an opportunity I'll be taking the boat for a couple of days of R&R by myself.

I've been doing a bit of reading and it would seem the downrigger will be coming out to troll the depths. I'm also looking to get a spool of leadline just as a back up on the other rod.

Anyone know where I can buy leadline up here. And are there any locals from Jindabyne on here who could pass on some info - or anyone who has fished the big expanse of water.

We'll be arriving on June 28 staying for 6 days. Anyone down there looking for a fish during the time - let me know.

Brett

Bearclaw
28-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Brett,

Check out Fitzy's site in the reports section, should give you an idea of where the best places to fish are at the moment.

NAGG
28-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi Brett

Brrrrrrrr ..... mate , I hope you are well prepared & have a sea worthy boat ! - These lakes can get nasty ...... & boaties die every other year - :( Sorry that point needed to be made.

I wouldn't get too concerned about leadline or down riggers ........ They are more your summer tactics ( though having your down rigger may just give you that other option ..... Salmon) - Flat lined tassie devils , cobras & minnows will do the job for you ...... as some of the best areas will be close to rocky points towards the entrance to the Threadbo river.
Casting plastics like the squidgy fish in Rainbow trout - also works 8-)

If you end up with those calm winters days ...... it can be a magic place
All the best for the trip

Cheers

Chris

PS ...... The Alpine Angler outside of Cooma will be able to help you out ( Advice , lures , leadline , etc)

The Phantom
30-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Brett
As Nagg said, call into the Alpine Angler, just south of Cooma. I f nothing else, have a cup of coffee & a chat with them.

bugman
31-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks Gents,

I've read about the Alpine Angler I think we will be stopping there on the way though. We'll be heading through Cooma on a Sunday - is it open on a Sunday.

The boat is well and truly seaworthy NAGG. It's been to the continental shelf off Tassie a couple of times;)

Does the fishing happen around Jindabyne or do you travel to put the boat in?

Brett

NAGG
01-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks Gents,

I've read about the Alpine Angler I think we will be stopping there on the way though. We'll be heading through Cooma on a Sunday - is it open on a Sunday.

The boat is well and truly seaworthy NAGG. It's been to the continental shelf off Tassie a couple of times;)

Does the fishing happen around Jindabyne or do you travel to put the boat in?

Brett

The boat ramp is only a little stroll from the town at the Snowline caravan pk ....... ( Steve Williamson has a guiding operation & tackle store there too)
Alpine angler is open on a Sunday ( check their website) ........ if you are coming through Cooma its on the way to Jindabyne on the left hand side

Good to hear that you have a safe boat ...... I've seen some tiny boats up there because some are just unaware of what can happen.

See if you can grab one of the AFN fishing maps ....... its a big help .

Chris