PDA

View Full Version : What engine HP do you have on 4.8 alloy

dreemon
27-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi all, we're thinking of getting an alloy close to around 4.8 ( cuddy or centre consloe or similar) , and wondering what will be the engines I'll most likely be looking into, I'll be happy with a used 2 st yamy, did some reading that the 70 has 849 cc and the 75 hp has 1140 cc?,
Interested to hear a general idea what will be needed.

Also, what tactics have you used in incouraging the wife that we need a bigger boat ;)

Wahoo
27-05-2009, 07:19 PM
tell her it has been a long hard year working, might work..............
as for motor, go max HP rate, 90 would be nice

Daz

GBC
27-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Showed her a toilet - that got me the outsider
Promised to give up smoking - that got me the signature
Can't remember what the poly took - prolly promised to mow or something.::)

dreemon
28-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Wahoo, don't think the working hard bit will fly with her, I had 2 broken collar bones and took near 5 months off work ::) ,

GBC, are you still a non smoker? if yes, what worked for you, the one time I tried , I failed, next time I'd like it to be the last time, dont want to do it over and over again,

Saw a Trailcraft XSport 485 06 model, with 90 yam with 45 hours for 24.000.
seemed a bit to nice to put crabpots and blood on the cushy seating,

I'll be seeing Phill for a custom Viper at burleigh heads, I'm sure he'll make a solid vessel for me, it's gotta be family, offshore and crabbin friendly, so it's up in the air of c/console , or? but will go for whatever the max hp rated for the rig,

the 4.8's seem to have a wide range of engines to run them 50 to 90 hp,

Cheers

thelump
28-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I see a young tacker in you Avatar. Thats the angle that worked best for me. After several beatings during NEasters in summer coming home in the tinny from Peel and the kids nooding off and falling out of their pedestal seats she finally came good and we bought a cuddy cab. I also got the approval on my first boat from the minister for quitting the bungas. Had to go 6 months then got the nod;) That was 7 years or 25kg ago(depending how you look at it). Still off em.;D

Scott nthQld
28-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a 92 quinnie runabout, max hp is 70, I have a 60hp, went with 60hp because the 70hp engine was too heavy for the transom. Mine is a 4str engine btw. a 70hp 2 str would go on it though.

As for your question, I've no idea, never had to deal with any finance minister before. So I just want to get what i want know, before one comes on the scene, then i have nothing to answer for.

fsh00
28-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I've got a 4.7 profish (4.85 now) with a 60,4st merc and it does the job just fine, good fuel eccon and no dramas, if you like a bit of get up and go with top end speed then i'd go with somthing a bit bigger.

dreemon
28-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi the Lump, the wife agrees with the hell chop she and the kids cop (5yr girl 7 yr boy) don't know if I have to quit the darbs, but would like to , howd ya do it

and none of our backs are getting younger:P and now really thinking a cuddy after talking to Phill fr Viper, thinking going his style, high performance offshore ;D , and go the 90 hp and heavy duty hull made for the weight of either 2 or 4 st, and the posibility of a toilet, it's all at the early stages but this is where it starts and looking foward to having fun with it all, cheers

thelump
29-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi the Lump, the wife agrees with the hell chop she and the kids cop (5yr girl 7 yr boy) don't know if I have to quit the darbs, but would like to , howd ya do it

and none of our backs are getting younger:P and now really thinking a cuddy after talking to Phill fr Viper, thinking going his style, high performance offshore ;D , and go the 90 hp and heavy duty hull made for the weight of either 2 or 4 st, and the posibility of a toilet, it's all at the early stages but this is where it starts and looking foward to having fun with it all, cheers

Sounds like a great idea mate. As far as the smokes go, I just stopped. Had been smoking for 20 years and had had enough. I think you just need to want to stop to be able to do it. Hard to explain but did it quite easy?

Lancair
30-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Go for the biggest boat and motor combo you can afford, and remember how much more money you will have when you quit the darbs.

I gave up 4 yrs ago before my first son was born. I used those nicorette tabs for about a week or two before stopping smoking, to wean off em a bit then used the foul little buggers for another week after I stopped actually inhaling the crap. I dont regeret a second having given em up.

Seahorse
30-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I Got 489 Stacer. Got 75 Merc 2 St.
Goes Real Good

dreemon
31-05-2009, 07:23 AM
the parking spot I have allows for 4.8, any bigger and we wont be able to get around the side of the house :-/ I will be using it to cross tweed, currumbin and tally bars, so I like the idea of the 90 hp 2 st, yamy or tohy looking for a second handy but not much around atm, had a look at some cuddys yesterday and the wife n kids really like the set ups, still gonna go custom.

I've been on the darbs for over 30 yrs, so quiting wont be easy, I know what you mean about really want to give em up, I tried the patches b4 and I know your meant to remove them at night ... but the wicked dreams were so vivid I left them on for the night time LSD shows :D wouln't regret quiting them at all

Moonlighter
31-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Dreemon

I've got a JBS Marine 4.8 plate cuddy cab. Originally had a 70 yammy 2 stroke on it, great motor, went well for 450 hrs. Toppped out at 55kmph.

Then upgraded to 90 Tohatsu TLDI direct injected 2 stroke, got 300hrs up on it now. Top end now 68km/hr.

The Tohatsu 90 TLDI's fuel economy is substantially better that the 70 Yammy - 3.25 km/litre compared to a touch over 2km/litre for the Yammy. Abolutely no dramas with the Tohatsu - but if you go that way put a decent quality SS Vengeance prop on it - the Tohatsu alloy prop is pretty average, good mid and top end, but hole shot very ordinary. The Vengeance SS prop transformed it to a sportscar!

Cheers

ML

wilcara
31-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Had an 80 4stroke on my quinny 480 and used every bit of it. If I got another I would do exactly the same.

Re having an angle, I always play the safety card, works a treat.