PDA

View Full Version : Extended Hydrofield's 6.8 Finished Photo's

business class
27-05-2009, 08:46 AM
G'day Guys,

It has taken us a while for both myself and the old boy to decide what we were going to do as we now need a new boat, as the little 5.6 Jaguar was getting to small for the areas we wish to fish, and neither party wanting to go away from the Hydrofields, it was time to look at the new 6.6 Jaguar. After a couple of months of tossing a few ideas around and looking at the new 6.6 Jaguar 2 dozen times, we just could not justify the money or the changes that had to be made for the new one, as it still needed so much changeing for what we wanted to achieve, so back to the drawing board we went. We through up the idea of a cut and shut extension slash renno of our current boat and after a few phone calls to my old boss and a few trips up to his workshop to see how big of a job it would be, we agreed and decided to go ahead with the cut and shut and renno;D .

We need to stip her and sell the engine (as now needed larger one;D ) before we could begin the chop, so up for sale she went. After the word had got around about our 140 Suzuki being up for sale and at only $8500 including steering she went at the click of a finger, and now the time came to start stripping. With all the negative comments being tossed around by so many people as why this wont work, it was a very stressfull time as the old boy and even sometimes myself thought is this the way to go:-/ . After being a boat builder myself for 6 years with Riv and preforming so many cut and shuts, nothing i could say was convincing any of the critics except my old boy (which was the one that mattered), as i always had to expain to people with the dimensions the 5.6 has, the cut and shut will work in all areas.

Now the weekend had come Gary was here to take the engine off and we started to strip her of all her goods. Once this was done i suited up with the grinder and cutter and started to grind her up, ready for the extension. Monday the 18/05/09 had come and it was D Day, she was taking up there at 6am and reversed into the shed, and after a nervous wait the first cut had been started, our dream had become a reality and now we were at the point of no return:-[ . So now the waiting game has begun, and both of us are very excited and can't wait to see the end result she will be a cracker.;D

So you guys know what is being done here is a list of everything that is happening.........
Hull extension of 1100mm, Cut out in both sponsons (as per new design) grafted in but made smaller, New 700mm long pod off transom with duck boards either side, New Floor, New 270ltr tank, Full length side pockets, new 300mm wide tansome combing, Custom 120ltr live well in centre of boat, battery storage made in transom 1 either side of tank, re-moulded side combings to suit extension, new storage box's and esky to be made in shape of a T and permenately glassed to floor, Dimensions are 600x500 for both storage boxes and 600x1600 for the esky and to be made out of insulated foam and then glassed togeter with hinged lids, strengthening to be put in place where new t-top is going, New stainless t-top with rocket launches, new stainless bait board, Mount made for centre rigger pole in t-top, carbon fibre dash over exsisting dash, whole boat re-flowcoated in a grey with black or white fleck, New carpet, all cracked holes to be repaired through out boat, re-spayed white, new steering, new Lowrance GPS,same 585 with 1 Kw tranny, new 27meg and Vhf, new fuel flow meter, new compass, and last but not least a New 225 Honda 4 stroke to push the girl.

I have been a bit slack as i should have posted it earlier but here are some photos of the stage she is at as we speak and i will keep posting pics up untill our baby is complete, hope use enjoy.

Cheers
Matty

business class
27-05-2009, 08:48 AM
More pics, and also note no timber is used in hull all glass.

Cheers
Matty

business class
27-05-2009, 08:52 AM
More photos of how it is done. Its quite impressive.

Noelm
27-05-2009, 09:04 AM
being very much a home handyman when it comes to bigger glass jobs, it still never ceases to amaze me how easy and how good it looks when someone who knows how to do it does a job like this, I guess in some ways it is no different to a wall tiler or any other trade, an expert makes it look so simple.

Horse
27-05-2009, 09:14 AM
What a great project. I wonder how she would have gone with the old donk. Often the beam is the deciding factor and extra length does not limit performance so much

You might have just started a run on old 5.6s

business class
27-05-2009, 09:48 AM
What a great project. I wonder how she would have gone with the old donk. Often the beam is the deciding factor and extra length does not limit performance so much

You might have just started a run on old 5.6s

The Zuke 140 didn't really push the 5.6 to starty with to be honest, it actually needed a 150hp as when full of fish gear 3 blokes and a bit of a swell it was very gutless.

Noelm,
Hey mate, being a boat builder myself i was so amazed how far you can actually get in a week when you have everything there. I am still blown away with the progress he has achieved.

insideout
27-05-2009, 09:49 AM
looking good so far matty, btw the suzi has gone to a good home i hear. I too use to work at riv many moons ago,sad to see it go down the way it has. Looking at the use of ur chopper gun reminded me of my time there...

So you finally went the path of DIY, good choice in my books, at least you know the boat and history of it. After i have been looking in the market for awhile, there are some less than desirable boats with many hidden faults in the hulls out there, and it would pay to be dilligent atm.

good piccies , keep em coming, and many itchy times ahead !!!;D

business class
27-05-2009, 10:27 AM
looking good so far matty, btw the suzi has gone to a good home i hear. I too use to work at riv many moons ago,sad to see it go down the way it has. Looking at the use of ur chopper gun reminded me of my time there...

So you finally went the path of DIY, good choice in my books, at least you know the boat and history of it. After i have been looking in the market for awhile, there are some less than desirable boats with many hidden faults in the hulls out there, and it would pay to be dilligent atm.

good piccies , keep em coming, and many itchy times ahead !!!;D

Yeah she has finally began and can't wait. But to make it clear My old boss Adam is doing the cut and shut and renno we are only helping him out in areas, but he is doing all / most of the work.

Cheers
Matty

lee8sec
27-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the photos & story. Leigh

siegfried
27-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Very cool mate, although your a boat builder I still reckon it takes a big set of gurras to chop your own boat in half. Cant wait to see the end result, onya.

pilchardjones
27-05-2009, 01:14 PM
great project matty,
please keep posting photos as it is very interesting.
steve

ratbag's
27-05-2009, 04:22 PM
great pics, looking forward to more.

My miss's would love to cut my boat in half, sadly she does not have the skills to put it back together. ;D

insideout
27-05-2009, 04:34 PM
great pics, looking forward to more.

My miss's would love to cut my boat in half, sadly she does not have the skills to put it back together. ;D

LOL.. me thinks this would be the thought pattern of most wives of fisherman here;D mine included!

boatboy50
27-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Good Post BC,

I for one will be interested to see how this story unfolds.

Tell me you havn't forgot that you'll need to lengthen or replace the trailer?

Should be a very interesting transformation, and knowing how much use you get from her, it'll be the perfect test bed.

Why the Honda? Was Garry's nagging just too much to bear anymore?

Regards

Darren

business class
27-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Good Post BC,

I for one will be interested to see how this story unfolds.

Tell me you havn't forgot that you'll need to lengthen or replace the trailer?

Should be a very interesting transformation, and knowing how much use you get from her, it'll be the perfect test bed.

Why the Honda? Was Garry's nagging just too much to bear anymore?

Regards

Darren

Or yeah sorry boys, yes and lengthening the trailer is another job on the list. We chose Honda becuase we got her at the right price and with gary living around the corner, makes it very easy serviceing as well. Also the suzuki was also alot dearer.

I will post more photo's tomorrow as the transom is in glassed and stringers are also in. While Adam was making up the pod myself and the old boy got stuck in to the boat, we ripped up the rest of the old floor, ground up the barers this afternoon, then fitted the new floor in ready for sealing bogging and re-glassing. We hope bye the end of the weekend we will have the floor and tank in, Seat boxes and esky in and glassed and pod on. an't wait as she is starting to become a boat again.

Cheers
Matty

business class
28-05-2009, 11:09 AM
here are some photo's before the strigers were in and then after they were glassed.

Cheers
Matty

business class
28-05-2009, 11:28 AM
here are some more pics from last night of the new floor and stringers. Also of the mould of the pod all gellcoated awaiting to be glassed.

Cheers
Matty

Heath
28-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Looking good Matty !! Looks like a nice big area now to work in when out on the water. You'll be very happy with the Honda for sure !

Any concerns over the extra length now hanging over the back of the trailer while it's being built? or is it being supported some other way until you extend or get a new trailer?

Spaniard_King
28-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Heath,

Its on a cradle type thingy. The trailer is undergoing mods elsewhere.

Mat wont get on here tomorrow hes out delivering a new 9m with twin 225's:)

Lovey80
29-05-2009, 12:54 AM
That jaguar looks like it will be one hell of a machine once its done. I think only a full hard top with full glass will do it justice now.

Cheers

Chris

insideout
29-05-2009, 06:36 PM
matty, looks the goods!! but are you not running more main stringers from old hull to new?!?!

Mister
29-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Not sure I read this right? You're putting a 225 four stroke on a 5.6 hydrofield that has been lengthened by how much?

Spaniard_King
29-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Not sure I read this right? You're putting a 225 four stroke on a 5.6 hydrofield that has been lengthened by how much?

it will end up 6.6 - 6.8m should get 40 knots out of her I recon;)

siegfried
29-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Jeez mate that thing will end up as soft and stable as a plate ally one at this rate ,top work

Mister
29-05-2009, 08:12 PM
it will end up 6.6 - 6.8m should get 40 knots out of her I recon;)

Only 40 knots? Will it be dragging its bum that much ::)

Spaniard_King
29-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Nah.. it will have maty's fat A$$ slowin it down:-X

business class
31-05-2009, 08:41 AM
matty, looks the goods!! but are you not running more main stringers from old hull to new?!?!

Thanks, What we have done is the old stringers from the old hull were cut back 1400 short of the cut for the extension and then then the new ones overlaped bye that length and followed the hull right to the transom.

business class
31-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Only 40 knots? Will it be dragging its bum that much ::)

the girl will end up 6.9m long;D , Also i have no idea what top speed she will get but if garry is right and we can get 40 knots that will be awesome as 60k was top speed with the 140 zuke. also alot of hydrofield owners think that the hulls wont get over 70k, So this will be the test i guess, I personally don't understand how they come up with this:-/ but we will see in a few weeks time if they are correct as the 225 should give her wings.;D

business class
31-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Nah.. it will have maty's fat A$$ slowin it down:-X

Hey thats a bit harsh mate, its not just my fat ar##, its also joeys and the old boys too;) so i guess she will end up a heavy boat and thats with out all the snapper in the esky;) ;D

nickstock
31-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Bloody unreal work mate!

I can't wait to see the finished product.

How much do you think that you will have saved in dollars rather then buying the 6.6?

Nick

Spaniard_King
31-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Geez Mat, I just had a good look at the picks. Hope you remembered to put the fuel tank in :)

Also get Adam to glass some cable supports in under the gunnel on the STBD side for me .

moparrob
31-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I reckon the hydrofields have a hull speed as I have a 16 foot (air injection hull) that used to have a 200 hp 2 stroke on the back and it would crack high 70's (km/hr) The engine was a 25" shaft that i played around with the engine heights via a manual jacking plate that is why i will be putting maximum 140 hp on it when i re-power

business class
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Bloody unreal work mate!

I can't wait to see the finished product.

How much do you think that you will have saved in dollars rather then buying the 6.6?

Nick

Hey Nick, We did the calculation for this and the overall price we will save more then $20,000.00 compared to the new 6.6 and we have a boat which is customized to how we want it.

Cheers
Matty

business class
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Here is some photo's of the floor boged in and Yes gary the tank is in::) . Also in the photo you can see how we are having our esky, Dimensions are 550H all round with to seat boxes on either side are seperate to the centre esky. seat boxes are 550L x 600w and the esky is 1600L bye 600w. The pod is also finished so i will post more photo's up for you guys tommorrow.

Gaz, we will have to glass some PVC pipe up under there for your wires, i will do this wednesday for you, but we have to do it in sections as we need room for all the rod holders;D .

trueblue
01-06-2009, 12:39 PM
who is your fibreglasser?

Wahoo
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
that is some nice work Matt, the boat will be enjoyed alot more known you guys have done the work,

Daz

PS: do you remember the ratio the angle of the stringers is cut (scuffing) 7:1 or 8:1???

business class
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
who is your fibreglasser?

Adam is his name and he lives it Yatla. If anyone ever needs custom work done or any repairs he is the man to call. His number is 0404050310 and just say you got the number off matty, he was my old boss at riv so he won't forget me;) . Also really good with prices too you will surprised how much it will save you doing some custom work.

Cheers
Matty

business class
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
that is some nice work Matt, the boat will be enjoyed alot more known you guys have done the work,

Daz

PS: do you remember the ratio the angle of the stringers is cut (scuffing) 7:1 or 8:1???

We haven't really done much of the work to be honest only helped out where we could, ie all the dirty work ;D . And not too sure of the angle to be honest sorry.

business class
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Floor is all glassed in and pod is finished and bolted on, also combings are all made just need to be grafted in tomorrow. will take some pics tonight and post them up tomorrow.

Cheers
Matty

Duckfish
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi moparrop,
You were playing around with engine heights, What did you finally come up with? I am toying with the idea of getting a Hydrofield.
Duckfish

moparrob
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Business class may be able to give you an exact measurement as he had a single on his 5.6 and will have on his 6.6+++. With mine we found using an ultra long shaft 25" we had the cav plate about 2-3" down from step of the hull. The other way to look at it is the motor bracket is two inches up off the transom. I have seen photos of the new ones set up with singles 25" shaft that have the motor sitting straight on the transom we found that to be too low as the outboard is too deep in the water they really need to be up a bit more to get the best out of a single set-up. Hope that helps.

business class
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi moparrop,
You were playing around with engine heights, What did you finally come up with? I am toying with the idea of getting a Hydrofield.
Duckfish

Hi Duck,

I can only speak for the models 5.6 both new design and old design and the old 6.1 model as well as my friends do have these boats. On the new one we had a 120mm jacking plate made up to suit a 140hp 25 inch leg. It went fine once the jacking plate was made but with out this it was not good. The exact measurement now i would have to find out for you, but it is trial and error. (which we will do again). However with the extension we have done know we have had the pod made to suit the old jacking plate hight we had on the boat before we played around, so hopefully it will be right the first time we fit the engine up. What model you chasing????

business class
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Here are some quick photo's of the floor fully glassed in and the pod all bolted on.

nickstock
02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Massive deck space there mate! What a fishing platform this will be once your finished. When are you hoping to have her back on the water ?
Nick

snelly1971
02-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Great Thread Matty, One of the best, and most interesting on Ausfish for awhile....

You should just buy the Hobson 28 Footer Tri Hull moulds and build your self a bigger version..

Mick

Heath
02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Matt do you plan just to upholster your seat boxes? If so, how do you reckon you'll go with no backs on them.... that is if you guys ever sit down while on the move.

Also how do you reckon your oldman will go climbing over them....now and in a few years time. I almost have to pour my oldman in the boat now days:P

death_ship
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
does the boat have a rail around it? looks like about knee height from floor to top of combing in the pics, like the southwind long boats.

Duckfish
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Business Class,
The 5.6 Hydrofield looks pretty good. Would you have been better of with a 20" shafted motor seeing that you had to put a jacking plate on? I know that Redcliffe Coastguard, when they had a 5.6 Hydrofield had a 20" Mercury Optimax on their boat. But top job on your boat.

Duck

moparrob
03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
20" shaft is too short (in too much aerated water) when mounted in the centre of the transom. You have three choices mount a single 20" shaft on either side of the transom (where you would normally mount one of your twins) run twin 20" shaft outboards or run a 25 " in the centre (the last option some will say is a bit of a compromise) We had a 20" shaft in the centre of ours originally and could never get it to run right you need the leg in the water 2"-3" into the water further than a 20" shaft in the centre will achieve P.s. the boat in my avatar had an old 85 model 85 suzuki 2 stroke mounted off to the side and it still used to plane no worries

business class
04-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Matt do you plan just to upholster your seat boxes? If so, how do you reckon you'll go with no backs on them.... that is if you guys ever sit down while on the move.

Also how do you reckon your oldman will go climbing over them....now and in a few years time. I almost have to pour my oldman in the boat now days:P

Hey mate how are you?, Yeah we will have a seat on the drivers side as we always sit down and with the others will just be upholstered cushions. And as for the old boy he said to say pi** off he aint that old he not even 50 :P ;D .

We always had to climb over the esky with the old way she used to be too, so it will not worry us, plus Its for fishing mate come on.;) .

business class
04-06-2009, 09:18 AM
does the boat have a rail around it? looks like about knee height from floor to top of combing in the pics, like the southwind long boats.

There the same hight as all the hydro's, we have not changed that. I think it is 600 or 650mm high. No we don't have a rail right around but there we will be one holding horizontal rod holders about 1m long. we like the low sides as it makes grabbing bill fish and pulling in larger fish over the side alot easier, however in saying that it is not at a dangerous hight for anyone bye any means, plus you also have the stability of the multi hulls too so it is quite safe if thats what yo mean.

business class
04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Duck Mo's reply is spot on i couldn't have answered it any better my self. Also we have made a different hight pod on this one so it should be perfect if our measurements are correct. Touch wood.

business class
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
here are some photo's of the side combing being put on and the scuppers glassed in.

business class
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM
here are some photo's from yesterday of the rear trasom combing in the mould glassed up and then more of it glassed into the transom.

business class
04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Massive deck space there mate! What a fishing platform this will be once your finished. When are you hoping to have her back on the water ?
Nick

Cheers Mate, Yeah we are looking forward to the water thats for sure. Next tuesday she will be done, then the trailer gets extended, we get that back that friday, then she is off to the stainless shop for some Fancy fittings ;) ;D .

Mick,

cheers mate, she has been an awesom experence so far, it is so good being able to custom the boat the way you want it. I have hurd abit about the hobsons but we would then need a bigger house ;) .

Cheers,
Matty

Chimo
04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Matty

Really great thread, am really enjoying your journey which appears so painless.

I guess when you have a fibreglasser like Adam, who obviously knows his stuff, doing a job like this to get what you really want, is both pleasant and rewarding.

No doubt there will a line up waiting for Adam after this and all power to him.

Maybe Adam could scale the Hobson down to trailer boat some winters night when he's bored.

Keep up the pics etc please and thanks again.

Cheers
Chimo

Heath
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey mate how are you?,
Younger than Gaz ;D

And as for the old boy he said to say pi** off he aint that old he not even 50 :P ;D .
LOL... I remember when my old boy turned 50.. seemed like yesterday. Today he turns 60
:bdaycake:

snelly1971
05-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Cheers Mate, Yeah we are looking forward to the water thats for sure. Next tuesday she will be done, then the trailer gets extended, we get that back that friday, then she is off to the stainless shop for some Fancy fittings ;) ;D .

Mick,

cheers mate, she has been an awesom experence so far, it is so good being able to custom the boat the way you want it. I have hurd abit about the hobsons but we would then need a bigger house ;) .

Cheers,
Matty

I have heard today that Henry has sold the moulds to his great grand son, and they will be building a few 28 footers...good to see them back in action...
I am selling mine at the moment and upgrading to a 40 + footer for fishing ...maybe a randell, steber....or something along those lines...there is nothing in a tri...in this size

Mick

business class
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
here are some pics fro over the long weekend. With the transome all glassed in floor in the bottom and live well all done, side pockets made up and fitted in, front cabin fwd shelf glassed in for better storage as old way was non useable.

business class
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Here are the photo's of here with all previous holes repaired, glassed and bogged ready for paint, and then photo's of her painted.

business class
09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Last night we ground the floor up, glassed in the esky and flow coated the whole boat so i will post photo's of this done when i pick up my camera tomorrow. Hope you guys enjoyed the extension as she went pretty smooth the whole way through and alls that is left now is the fit out and i will post photo's of this stage bye stage also untill she is in the water running.

Cheers
Matty

Jabba_
09-06-2009, 02:51 PM
It's been a interesting thread Matty and I am looking forward to seeing Murph's law on the water real soon....

spargs
10-06-2009, 04:40 PM
G'day BusinessClass,

Job looks fantastic! Did you get my PM re: the hull extension? I have a few q's i wanted to run by you...

business class
11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
G'day BusinessClass,

Job looks fantastic! Did you get my PM re: the hull extension? I have a few q's i wanted to run by you...

Hey mate, No i didn't get it mate sorry! Re send it and ill try and help you out where i can. My honest opinion is go see Adam he is a genious with this stuff and can pretty much do anything.

Cheers
Matty

business class
11-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Here are the pics of the boat flow coated and esky all glassed in.

siegfried
11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
WOW great job and bloody quick too, hope it goes as wll as it looks

finding_time
11-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Matty

Whats with the esky right up to the seats?? :-/ Is it now abit like the General Lee where you have to get into the driving position via the windows?;) :-X I do like the live bait well though , she's tops!!!;) And that back deck is huge, when does the 80lb reelax chair get fitted!

ian

spargs
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Mate,

That looks unreal. i have sent you a new pm, let me know if it doesn't come through...

lee8sec
12-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Nice job, thanks for sharing the story so far. Leigh

business class
16-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Matty

Whats with the esky right up to the seats?? :-/ Is it now abit like the General Lee where you have to get into the driving position via the windows?;) :-X I do like the live bait well though , she's tops!!!;) And that back deck is huge, when does the 80lb reelax chair get fitted!

ian

The esky's a bute aint it;D . Is a fishing boat mate so we don't care about jumping over the esky as we had to do this before with the esky side ways anyhow. No need for the 80lb'er yet we wil be all stand up for next season and we will see how we go as we will only fish 24kg on the blues to start with.

business class
16-06-2009, 09:20 AM
As of his morning the carpet is all cut, overlocked and fitted in, trailer is extended and the stainless work has begun. Friday is ment to be the finishing date for the T-Top, carpet and clears. She is starting to look like a boat again can't wait.

pilchardjones
17-06-2009, 09:07 PM
wow - this is turning into an awesome fishing machine. can't wait to see the on water photos. it's happening very quickly too.
steve

ped cairns
17-06-2009, 09:10 PM
looks fantastic, keep the posts up very interested how much better it will be on water
ped

nickstock
18-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi mate,

Any pics to update!

Nick

business class
18-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi mate,

Any pics to update!

Nick

Won't see boat Untill tommorrow then i will post up the pics from the stainless Shop.

Cheers
Matty

samson
18-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Can i deliver your windows i promise i won't crack them like you did to mine.

business class
19-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Can i deliver your windows i promise i won't crack them like you did to mine.

;D Not funny sir not funny! see i am smart i went clears:P ;D

CCDrifter
19-06-2009, 03:16 PM
6 weeks and counting for the trip Mat. Better not forget anything.

cormorant
24-06-2009, 11:47 PM
To all the trihull brains trust

Ever heard of these or know what they are like??

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170345570482

nickstock
25-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Hey mate,

How did you go with the Stainless work?

Nick

business class
25-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170345570482

I am not sure but if that does over 40knts i can't wait till next week when we sea trial ours As we have a 225 also........ Looks a nice rig worth a look for sure IMO

business class
25-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey mate,

How did you go with the Stainless work?

Nick

Yeah she is all done we got her back last Friday night...... I have just been too busy to put up pics as i don't have a computer at home. I will take some this arvo and try and get them on here tommorrow some time.

Cheers
Matty

Spaniard_King
25-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I am not sure but if that does over 40knts i can't wait till next week (Next frigin month the way your goin!!! ) when we sea trial ours As we have a 225 also........ Looks a nice rig worth a look for sure IMO

Wern't you suppose to be home helpin me at 2pm today workin on your boat???.. see you have ya priorities right eh::)

business class
26-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Wern't you suppose to be home helpin me at 2pm today workin on your boat???.. see you have ya priorities right eh::)

Thats very nasty Mr Garry;) . Here are some photo's of the stainless work and of garry's beautifull work at 6am this morning. ;D

trueblue
26-06-2009, 09:20 AM
who did the stainless work?

business class
26-06-2009, 09:31 AM
who did the stainless work?

Greens Marine in yatla did stainless and brendon next door to them did clears and carpet. I am really happy with the quality of finish with there work and how easy they were to deal with. i definately reccomend both companies 100%

trueblue
26-06-2009, 09:42 AM
My boat is in at Greens right now, getting a top done, and Brendan next door is doing my clears as well.

cheers

Mick

Blackened
26-06-2009, 09:45 AM
G'day

Mean looking rig, well done.

Are you going to continue the black gunhale rubber along? Seems to look a bit bare in the rear otherwise?

Dave

chop duster
26-06-2009, 10:30 AM
was just about to ask the same thing Dave.
I realise you don't have the flange at the deck to hull joint to fix the gunnel rubber to. Although I think this could be achieved with a length of aluminium unequal angle, pop-riveted to the deck.

business class
26-06-2009, 10:51 AM
was just about to ask the same thing Dave.
I realise you don't have the flange at the deck to hull joint to fix the gunnel rubber to. Although I think this could be achieved with a length of aluminium unequal angle, pop-riveted to the deck.

Hey guys,

Yes the flange was moulded in with the extension for that reason. We are just waiting for the gunnel to be sent to us. But yes it is going on. Hopefully bye the end of next weekend she will be up and running with all stickers on and fit out complete.

moparrob
26-06-2009, 01:30 PM
looking good Matt good to see the hydrofield has had a birthday time for me to pull my finger out and get the baby brother going.
Rob

Ripples
26-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi Matt& John
The boat looks amazing ,it must be a great feeling to have all the modifications come together ,once again Adam,Greens and Brendon have shown there class and high level of excellance in the workmanship.Looking forward to see how the boat handles .There was a 23ft to 24ft centre cab tri hull that used to travel up to Stanage with us some years ago that was great in the rough water.
The engine was a 200 hp 2 stroke and not sure of the top speed however it was no slouch.Not sure if Gaz is available to work on your boat this week as I need a service on the haines and we can't give you to much time on the water before your trip. LOL
See ya from Ripples.

Mister
27-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks

And what would you like to know?

cormorant
27-06-2009, 08:23 PM
And what would you like to know?

Basically whether the hull shape and manufacturer are any good? If anyone has had first hand experience? Friend like the look of the boat and is headed down that way and asked and I couldn'help him. Appreciate any info to pass on

business class
08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey Guys, yesterday was D day for the new girl, Spaniard King Had finished the Complete new fit out of entire boat and water test was next in line. We put her in the local creek for a quick test as no rego stickers were on yet. These modifications being never attempted buy any hydrofield owner before (as we are aware of) we were very nervious, actually our hearts were pumping nearlly through our chests and we were shacking like all sh##, but it was time to see if everything we had done will pay off. Once we put the throttle down she went better then we could have ever expected, The 225 honda was in a league of its own, we could cruise on 3300rpm doing 21Knots with 3 people on board and 75ltrs of fuel. Our top speed yesterday with out fully opening her up was 37knots or 46/47mile an hour which is around the 77km per Hr. we were over the moon she handled perfectly better then we ever thought, engine height was perfect, sitting at rest was perfect and could not get the smiles of our faces. Personally i was really amazed how well the 225 Honda went as i have been in many of different boats and every engine under the son and for it to preform how it did, pick up all that weight and get out of the hole that easy and keep going and going right throughout the rev range was unreal, yesterday made us so very happy. A big thanks has the go out to greens marine and south side trimming and of course adam for his unbelievable extension work, but especially Garry for getting us the engine and doing the entire boat fit up he has preformed, as he has made everything so easy to access and get to and how neat and perfect the boat has turned out we can't praise his fit up and fit out work enough, i can see why you are better off getting an expert to do this. Also he did well with putting up with me and my old boy helping him as i think we were more a hinderence then a help;) .

I will add some pics for use in the next couple of days as we are waiting for her to come back from the sticker place so we can take her fishing.

Cheers
Matty

P.S. If anyone is chasing a Furuno 7000 Chart plotter in Mint condition check out the electronics page as mine is there at an unbeatable price.

CCDrifter
08-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Mat
Have you been brave enough to sit down and do a final tally on all works done on the boat yet

business class
08-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Mat
Have you been brave enough to sit down and do a final tally on all works done on the boat yet

Hey mate yeah we have i had to sit down once i added it together;) . Total bill from where it was to now has come to $31,500.00 minus the $8,500.00 for old engine so $23,000.00 total which to be honest is awesome once you lay your eyes on her and see what is done. With us helping out where ever we could and in what ever we could. I would think if someone was going to do with out knowing the right people it would cost another 5 to 10k more. But still cheaper then the new 6.8s and you get a completely new boat as well.

Dicko
08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds a lot more economical rejuvenating this boat than changing it over. Good work, and glad to see you're happy with the results.

business class
13-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Here are some photo's from the weekend all finished

business class
13-07-2009, 03:45 PM
And some more again. Also Took her for a run on sunday and played around in the Tweed Bar entrance for what was an awesome run with the boat handleing better then would have thought. Top speed was 78 k/hr at 5900 Rpm with 180l of fuel and 3 blokes running a 16 solas prop. Cruise was 3900 to 4000 rpm doing 50k/hr. Very Very happy with the preformance thus far. also hole shot was unreal no lag what so ever we hit the throttle and up she come, the 225 is a very tourquey engine. which was a big thing for these hulls. Also in a sea the cut outs in the side sponsens make so much difference it is unbelievable, you can see how much better the turning is now compared to before. Hope you like the photo's

Cheers
Matty

finding_time
13-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Matty

Those stainless rod holders that you have got set up on the side grab rails DONT TRUST THEM!!!!!! Mate the tube part of the holder is just tack welded with 2 small tacks onto the sturdy looking mounting part of the bracket!!! they are as weak as piss and you will loose rods if you use them!!!

Ian

Spaniard_King
13-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Cmon Ian, what a 50wlrs and a full 37kg roller rod between freinds :)

Hydro 5.6
13-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Wear already one step ahead and had them welded up weve been using these holders fo a long time and know by expererence that you need to get them welded or loose rods.
Cheers
John

CCDrifter
14-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Nice work Mat
Hope you put all those eskies to ggod use in as couple of weeks.
2.5 weeks and counting

Nathan

business class
14-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice work Mat
Hope you put all those eskies to ggod use in as couple of weeks.
2.5 weeks and counting

Nathan

I hope we do too hey, i am like a little kid in a kandy shop waiting for this trip.

Ian, Thanks mate but we know these rod holders need some good attention before even useing them once as we got a new one and haven't fixed it yet and she fell into two:o . Once you weld, locktight and sika them up they work like a treat;) ;D.

Spaniard_King
30-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Where are ya fishing picks matty?? :)

Spaniard_King
13-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Just Bumping this to the top for Tonks :)

Wet Work
17-06-2010, 12:25 AM
This is awesome. What an inspiration for my next big project.

I love hyrdofields. I owned a 5.6 with 2x50hp tohatsus a few years ago. I needed a boat i could put into survey for work i was doing at the time. I guess i didnt ask enough people the right questions and it appeared that it would need a lot of work to get it surveyed so i sold it.

I got a 18' sharkcat (thats real shark cat, not aluminium shark cat or whaler or anything else). They also are great hulls and as heaps are in survey the local marine authority were happy to approve it with only some minor mods.

I found out a couple of years later that it would have been relatively easy to get the hydrofield in survey. That annoyed me a bit as if i had asked this person the same questions a couple of years earlier i would probably still have the hydrofield today.

For anyone interested in a comparison between the 5.6 hydrofield and 18' sharkcat here are my thoughts:

top speed: hydro (2x50) = 30kn cat (2x90 mariner 2st) = 35
happy cruise speed in av cond: about the same for both 18-22kn
tow weight (both on good tandem trailers) hydro = 1.5t, cat = 2.5t

Rough water ability: very similar. I never felt unsafe in the hydro. Tried to get it to hurt me in 2m swells near a barway one day but just couldnt get it to put a foot wrong. The cat, once i got the hang of steering it was also good. Would get a nasty landing off swell sometimes and threw heaps of water around but they are a great hull. Comparing the limited use i had of the hydro compared to much more use i had in the cat, i prefer the hydro. If it is too rough to keep on the plane in the cat you are stuffed as they just bog down and get really horrible at low speeds. The Hydro would plane cleanly down to about 10 knots and it remains very comfortable in quite ordinary seas at that speed. Generally the Hydro was just an easier boat to drive and tow around.

My commercial diving days are over now. The cat has gone and i have almost finished rebuilding a Haines Hunter v19r. They also are an awesome hull. Mine is the later model which edencraft (and others) still use. I have worked as an abalone deckhand for a couple of years in a 6m Edencraft (v19r with pod) so i know exactly what they can do. If the missus would let me i would sell the v19r as soon as its finished to get a 5.6/6.1m hydrofield. She might let me sell the v19r after summer for next years autumn/winter project...

firecat150hp
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
G'day Guys,

It has taken us a while for both myself and the old boy to decide what we were going to do as we now need a new boat, as the little 5.6 Jaguar was getting to small for the areas we wish to fish, and neither party wanting to go away from the Hydrofields, it was time to look at the new 6.6 Jaguar. After a couple of months of tossing a few ideas around and looking at the new 6.6 Jaguar 2 dozen times, we just could not justify the money or the changes that had to be made for the new one, as it still needed so much changeing for what we wanted to achieve, so back to the drawing board we went. We through up the idea of a cut and shut extension slash renno of our current boat and after a few phone calls to my old boss and a few trips up to his workshop to see how big of a job it would be, we agreed and decided to go ahead with the cut and shut and renno;D .

We need to stip her . With all the negative comments being tossed around by so many people as why this wont work, it was a very stressfull time as the old
Cheers
Matty

Hi Matty....I was reminded of this thread from another member and I am going through the same sort of dilemma with my 4.9 Markham Whaler.

To date it is in the floor / transom removed stage.
Fuel tanks are gone literally and all foam(saturated) has also been removed.
Decisions decisions and more.
Final lock down is 're-build transom and add a straight rear wall ridding the boat of a leaking engine well and a very heavy and useless live bait tank.

Like you I did the sums and couldn't justify a 5.5 meter Cat in 'New Form'

My 4.9 is having a 'cut and shut' right across the middle at an extra 600mm.
In effect raising the bar to 5.5 meters....add my custom bow sprit and the legal overall will be 5.7 meters.
Additional reno/re-build is a custom "Full Hard Top Cab" (windows and no leaking clears:vrolijk_1:)with raised dash and steering station.

Your photos will be a help as the actual cut was scaring the hell out of me but once I've now actually seen yours I'm less stressed.

Will begin a reno posting soon as a bit more work is done.

Regards Steve

Spaniard_King
26-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Bump.... someone was looking for this thread

Fimpy
06-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Hi Matty
Any chance of putting the reno photos back on line? Can't locate them so I figure they must have been taken down.
My sons and I are currently renovating an ex-navy 5.6m Hydrofield that had been used as a drone. Not planning to extend it but photos would be great to help give us confidence in what we do.
Cheers
Fimpy

Spaniard_King
06-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Mate he isn't on here any more

ring Lantrak and ask for Matt

Reefgeek
02-12-2019, 06:03 PM
I know this is a old thread...

Would love to see some pics of the final product of this as I’m planning on doing the same

anyone have a pic they could post up?

Spaniard_King
08-12-2019, 07:46 AM
120492 only 1 I could find

gazza2006au
09-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Span good to see u back on the forum that boat sits almighty low in the water! Are they all like that?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

CT
10-12-2019, 10:37 AM
that boat sits almighty low in the water! Are they all like that?

Yep, its a Hydro thing!

Spaniard_King
11-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Yep, CT is onto it. Just a Hydro thing

Paul071978
12-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Wow that is a gangster low rider for sure