PDA

View Full Version : Targa design

trueblue
26-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I won't go into the details, but KRUDD has just shot my dreams of a bigger boat in the foot, for quite a few years.

So, 'True Blue' needs a face lift, that will make her dryer in these SEQ choppy crap seas that we live with. I need some inspiration ideas now for design of a big shade tee top canopy for her

Some pics are attached of her undressed and ready for shiny stainless, new shade, and clears.

Budget will be what it needs to be, so a fully stainless tee top will be the go, but the design is a bit of a challenge due to the swept back side screens and limited areas to anchor the tee top to.

I would prefer if is able to be folded back to be less than 200 mm above the crest of the windscreen.

Please post any photos of tee top targa / rocket launcher canopy designs on your boats that may assist with designing the best frame that can be made for her.

cheers

Mick

trueblue
26-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I am especially interested to see what other Dale owners have done

trueblue
27-05-2009, 07:30 AM
anyone got photos of a similar windscreen etc, with a good tee top fitted?

Biggest concern is that it would mount a long way back, and to get about a foot of shade overhang over the point of the windscreen might be too heavy cantilevered forward of the anchor points. Possibly needs forward supports?

trueblue
27-05-2009, 09:51 PM
anyone... got a photo of a big targa that folds?

especially keen to see photos of a double folding targa. ie, rocket launcher folds down, then roof section of targa also folds down.

I got several quotes today, and the word was that they don't want to fold it due to the size of the structure.

That would put her out in the weather as I only have 8" clearance above the existing windscreen peake to get into the shed.
not keen to do that if it can be helped

cheers

mick

Greg P
27-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Mick - I remember seeing a pic from Gary of a mate of his with a Haines half cab. It had a modified Cruisecraft Outsider Targa that looked great. Drop him a PM

trueblue
28-05-2009, 08:29 PM
any comments on this design? see any problems?

bait board will need to be removeable to let it lay down. some support bars in the front would need to be removeable, but by scale it seems to fold down to do what it needs to, but I'm no expert on targa and clears design

it would also have a pull out awning out the back as well

cheers

Mick

nickstock
28-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I like it mate. I would think that it would improve your boat 10 fold without outlaying huge dollars .

Nick

Smithy
28-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I like Greg's idea of using someone elses design and making it suit.

If you study that rocket launcher of my mates boat in that Commander Cat thread, that one folds down flat across the cockpit when stowed.

trueblue
28-05-2009, 09:24 PM
this was the reccommendation... to adapt the 685 cruise craft explorer targa, and mount it solid all round

but that would not let it go into the shed

apparently they don't like the amount of weight that would be cantilevered forward if it was mounted just off the back rocket launcher frame

trueblue
13-07-2009, 06:21 PM
True Blue is reborn.......

don't have any photos in daylight yet, but she is sporting a new top now

cheers

Mick

Spectrum
13-07-2009, 07:06 PM
That's a flash looking T Top, I like it.

sid_fishes
13-07-2009, 08:07 PM
mick, she does look great. some more pics in sequence of pulling it down would be great to
cheers mate
ian

Angla
13-07-2009, 08:23 PM
You will not look back now as the new addition will make your boating just so much more comfortable. Just like to see the finishing touches.

I like the position on the all round

Cheers
Chris

lethal098
13-07-2009, 08:36 PM
looks th goods mick well done, cheers Lee

tenzing
13-07-2009, 10:39 PM
So Trueblue, That really looks the ducks kahoonas.
Is it fully foldable?
was it made down yatala way?
Congats on the revitalized rig.
Brendan

trueblue
13-07-2009, 10:50 PM
yep, she folds down, and yes, made in Yatala.

Got a new windscreen as well (changed the windscreen shape)

I'll get some decent photos tomorrow.

cheers

Mick

tenzing
14-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Mick
They are well recommended. Mine is off there shortly(I hope!) and I need something very similar to yours. Mine goes under by millimetres!
Seeing yours gives me great confidence and frankly makes me want to get my arse into gear.
How long did you have to stand in line, and how long did they need your pride and joy for. A week or so?
Brendan