PDA

View Full Version : Townsville Reef

scorpionNQ
25-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Nothing too exciting to report. After reading all the weather information Thursday/friday, all looked good for a 4am start Saturday morning to head out to Hopkinson reef. Heaps of boaties went out friday night as there was only about a dozen spaces left at the ramp. Headed out of the harbour to be greeted by an average swell and a good westerly wind up our backside. As we motored past maggy Island the swell increased to 1.2-1.5m, we kept heading out even though we past a few smaller boats coming back in. We copped one wave over the bow that put over 100lts in the boat. We stopped off at a well known shoal half way out and trolled around for an hour or so for 1 spanish. We noticed more boats heading back in, which wasn't good, but decided to at least head out another 25kms to Lodestone and fish the sheltered side of the reef. When we arrived trolled for another hour while we looked for some show, not much around but the sheltered side was at least comfortable. Moved around for 2 trout and 2 red throat. About 1pm the wind and swell started to ease slightly, so we headed a further 22kms to Hopkinson. Around the front or eastern side of the reef was quite calm. We were mainly catching red throat with a few nice trout. By dusk it had dropped off to about 2 knots and a glassed out sea. By 8pm we reached our bag limit or red throat. Next morning we awoke to still glassed out sea's. We looked for some trout but only found more red throat which had to go back. Trolled around the reef for zip, headed back to the shoal at full noise in perfect conditions. Trolled and drifted/bottom bounced for an hour or so for zip. There were 5 or 6 other boats but didn't see anyone else boat anything? Where are the Spanish??
Back at the boat ramp my Midday, still a great weekend. Sorry there are no photo's, as I am sure most know what red throat emperor look like.
Not really worthy of a report, but we haven't had too many lately here.
Cheers,
Lee;)

gucci84
25-05-2009, 02:14 PM
what are you talking about lee that sounds like a good trip mate, dont know were the spanish are either its abit strange!!!
have a good one
casey

levinge
25-05-2009, 05:04 PM
2 small ones caught off Cardwell on the weekend but that about it for macks at the moment..

ronnien
25-05-2009, 05:54 PM
maybe not the greatest trip but it"s been awhile since i have seen any reef reports.
keep them comming mate.

ron.

jtpython
25-05-2009, 06:25 PM
A good feed and a trip out . Spanish were here for a while over the last couple weeks so maybe they've gone thru there already. Spotties are usauly in but not too many of them about heard of of lot of greys in spread out numbers .
JT

nickstock
26-05-2009, 08:20 AM
G’day Lee,

Sounds like you still managed a nice feed.
In regards to the Spanish,
I have not been in Cooktown long enough to know their habits ECT but they are in plague proportions up here at the moment. A local charter landed 15 Spanish around 15kgs on Saturday and most boats have been getting 3-4 big Spanish each trip. I lost what would have been a new PB for me on Saturday, and plenty of smaller specimens around.

Looking forward to seeing the big Scorpion up here mate,

Nick

scorpionNQ
26-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the comments guy's.

Nick- Got a good feed alright, didn't realise what a tasty fish the red throats are!!
Should be up your way now getting into those Spanish. Shame you lost that one, make sure you get back out there soon and get a few.

Looks like we will be up there early October, will check the tides out this weekend so I can come up with a definate date. Might even post the trip on 'meet and greet' to see in any other Ausfishers want to have a weeks fishing in Cooktown. The park we usually stay at is ever only 1/4 full. and there is plenty of room for boats too!! Will be in touch mate.

Cheers
Lee;)