PDA

View Full Version : Townsville's BIG RED'S

Fisher4life
25-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Thursday arfternoon Graham (Thumpa) and I made the plan to do a trip wide leaving friday after work and coming home sunday morning, we rounded up an extra (Bob) to make the trip worth while. So late friday arvo we headed out in glass out conditions looking for some deep water to find some red fish of any description.

We sounded over a likely looking mark and dropped our lines down at 7.30 and the next 2 1/2hrs was unbelievable. By 10pm we had reached our bag limit on Red's with a few spangle's thrown in and 1 lonely Large Mouth.

With the night still you we sat down for a breather and discussed our options and decided to move into some shallower water looking for some nanni's. moved into shallower ground and was only able to find more legal Red Emperor, which were all let go. We ended up have 3 cobia around the back of the boat which kept us amused for a while as we tried to catch them from the surface without any success, so we called it a night.

With one esky full we decided to work the shallows and head back in late afternoon.

Arrived back at the ramp by 5pm a bit brused and battered.

If there are ppl here in the local area that have all their own gear, we often require an extra person on board to split costs with. If you interested Send either Graham (thump-a) or me a PM with your mobile number and stuff, adn if we're short of a crew we'll give you a yell.

I'v attatched a few pics, so enjoy.

Cheers
Josh

Fisher4life
25-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Forgot to mention. Graham Caught a dirty Big cuttle fish, and as it was gaffed squirted out a stack of ink repainting the back of the boat and the Suzi. Quite funny to watch, absolute pain in the arse to clean.

scorpionNQ
25-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Looks like you boys had an exellent trip. Nice haul of reds and good weather to boot. Good on ya!!!
Cheers
Lee

Scott nthQld
25-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Good trip josh, great work, i think you have my number if you ever require an extra, got all my own gear, and just spent up on some more. More than happy to split costs and help with clean up afterwards as well.

Well done on the reds, which way did youse head? and how deep? Big mouth nannies seem to be in th 65m range

ronnien
25-05-2009, 12:38 PM
another great report!
well done to you"s, you have some big reds there.

ron.

Pedrokkas
25-05-2009, 01:00 PM
What a great sesh!!! Well done boys.

nickstock
25-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Looks like an amazing session out there fella's.

Nick

gucci84
25-05-2009, 02:24 PM
great report josh and the rest of the crew some good reds there, will have to give you my number when i get back mate
have a good one
casey

Spot82
25-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Awesome report, sounds like a cracker of a trip, must be hard having to throw legal reds back over the side! Wish I had that problem....

Thanks for the report and pics

Anthony

geeb
25-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Great report - fine catch - the fellow with the Beanie on looks like my long lost brother, good looking fella......cheers.........Geeb

thump-a
25-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Great report - fine catch - the fellow with the Beanie on looks like my long lost brother, good looking fella......cheers.........Geeb

Ha Geeb ;
we are all brothers or sisters ; your a fine looking specimen as well !!

Cheers Graham

levinge
25-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Well done there guys. Hey Josh, I upgraded my PB Cobia on the weekend, pulled a 18.5kg specimen off the bottom up at Cardwell. Arms are still a little sore...

jtpython
25-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Awesome work guys .. How terrible is that bagging out on reds and trying to get away from them classic stuff. Stonker Fish there
JT

Fisher4life
26-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Looks like you boys had an exellent trip. Nice haul of reds and good weather to boot. Good on ya!!!
Cheers
Lee

Lee, the weather friday night was unreal, water was totally glassed out, yet early saturday we were woken with quite a stiff breeze with complementry white caps and sizeable swells coming from SE which stuck around through till about 3.30 saturday arvo.

Well done on the reds, which way did youse head? and how deep? Big mouth nannies seem to be in th 65m range

Scott

Headed out Northerly Easterly direction, and we moved 80m and worked areas right up to 50m and just kept finding reds.

Awesome report, sounds like a cracker of a trip, must be hard having to throw legal reds back over the side! Wish I had that problem....

Thanks for the report and pics

Anthony

Anthony it was an absolute cracker of a trip, can't wait to get back out there again!!

We been looking for Big red for almost 2yrs and we never thought we'd see the day where we'd have to throw 65cm reds back. It definately took some courage to place the fish back into the drink.

Well done there guys. Hey Josh, I upgraded my PB Cobia on the weekend, pulled a 18.5kg specimen off the bottom up at Cardwell. Arms are still a little sore...

Good job Brett, good to hear that Hard Livin is still getting some good fish.

Cheers
Josh

ozbee
26-05-2009, 03:58 PM
great fish all sure seems to be a red year all along the coast no shortage of Chinaman as usual . the shadow of one fish in the photo makes it look like a red bass but no mistake on the others cant beat that emperor head shake just makes the blood surge. well done

skipalong
26-05-2009, 06:35 PM
top fishing guys

SWANO1
26-05-2009, 06:50 PM
great fish and top piccies , nice report and to offer a spot is gold.
well done again
cheers swano

Fisher4life
26-05-2009, 08:29 PM
great fish all sure seems to be a red year all along the coast no shortage of Chinaman as usual . the shadow of one fish in the photo makes it look like a red bass but no mistake on the others cant beat that emperor head shake just makes the blood surge. well done

Thanks ozbee, yeah it was a red bass, very mean looking fish, his eye's just followed you around the boat...

dogsbody
26-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice Redfest there blokes.

Dave

Alchemy
30-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Josh,

Great catch, glad you found the reds. We only got one on Friday night, and that was sharked! Need to head wider / deeper after seeing your's and Ozbee's recent successes.

Regards,
Dave.