PDA

View Full Version : Post for Smithy, Spaniard_King, jtpython, rumy1, ifishcq1, etc.

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Hey guys, it has been more than 6 months since I have been on Ausfish and I thought it was about time I dropped in and said hello.

I used to read this site every day and go fishing at least twice per month, but in December last year I moved to the US for work at short notice and didn't get to say goodbye.

Well after 6 months of being over here and struggling with the economy, I thought it about time I came back to Ausfish to see what is going on. (yeah i am homesick)

JTPython has been keeping me updated with pics of the big red fish he keeps catching, but it isn't the same as being there myself! In fact it has made me even more homesick. Thanks mate! :)

Anyway I have had a read through the forum to get myself up to date and cannot believe what has been going on!!!!! Fisher, Trailcraft, Riviera..........seems like I have missed some big news.

Well I committed to being in the US for 12 months with an option for an extra 2 years and at the 6 month mark I am not sure what I am going to do yet. But I do miss the whole boating and fishing thing. I have been eating salmon over here, but am missing the good old red fish and the mackies! :D

My dad has the 702L and has used it a few times with one of my nephews, but it definitely hasn't had the use that it was getting in the past. Which leads me to think I might be better off selling it and then trying to bring something back form the US when I return.

I know it probably isn't the best time to be trying to sell a boat, but I am not sure it makes sense having it sit relatively unused when I have so much money invested.

Any thoughts?

How bad is the used boat sales market in Australia at the moment?

Anyway I will be thinking about this over the next few weeks before I make a decision, but I wanted to drop in and say hello anyway.

jtpython
25-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Good to see you back on the forum mate and always good to keep you informed with pics and emails of the fishing here in beautiful sunny QLD:)
JT

Spaniard_King
25-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Hey RC,

where abouts in the US are you? no where fishy by the sound of it.

If you sold the 702 now you would have to take a hit on it to sell it "IF" you could find a buyer. The goverment has %50 tax incentive for new equiptment for buisness if you aren't selleing anything that falls into this bracket then you arn't selling much.

Must be some deals about over there??

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 06:50 AM
We are in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is an amazing place, but unfortunately the only fishing is for Striped Bass (stripers), Salmon and Halibut. Not anything I am really into.

Now if I was in Southern California then the Tuna, Dolphin Fish, etc. come into play, but I am too far north and the water is too cold.

And yes there are some amazing deals over here for boats at the moment! People are losing their houses with California having around 11% unemployment and the housing market has dropped more than 30% in value.

At one point I was a bit concerned about my job, but seem to have gotten through the worst of it. But it will be a long time before things pick up again.

As for the 702L, I don't have to sell it, but having the capital tied up and not really using it isn't the best situation, so just thought I would look into it.

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 06:58 AM
The goverment has %50 tax incentive for new equiptment for buisness if you aren't selleing anything that falls into this bracket then you arn't selling much.

So are you saying businesses are only paying 5% GST on capital purchases at the moment?

Is this on only new equipment, or used as well? How long does it last?

I hadn't heard about this. I have been reading the ABC News website on and off to keep up to date, but missed this one.

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Must be some deals about over there??
Yeah thinking of something like this;

http://www.usedboats.com/boat-ad/display/ad_id/1541329

Spaniard_King
25-05-2009, 07:03 AM
The deal for buisnesses is

get your GST back

get a %50 of the total cost tax rebate ie..buy a car for $40K reduce the buisness income for tax purposes by $20K

Must be bought and payed for by dec 2009

You can still claim full depreciation on the car too

hope thats easy enough to follow.

Just bought meself a new work ute, couldn't resist

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:06 AM
hope thats easy enough to follow.
Yeah got it now. Thanks.

Spaniard_King
25-05-2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.usedboats.com/boat-ad/display/ad_id/1541329

yeh wrap that up I will take it! crikey thats cheap!

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:11 AM
yeh wrap that up I will take it! crikey thats cheap!
That price will be without trailer, but I would need to get a trailer in Australia anyway. I think something like that would be perfect for up my way heading out to Douglas Shoals etc.

Also now I am being paid in USD I don't need to convert that price to AUD! :)

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:13 AM
That price will be without trailer..........
Actually I just realized a trailer is included! Also has A/C in the cabin for those hot nights up CQ way.

JT - What do you reckon mate? See yourself fishing on that baby with me???

The boys on the Seafox would be jealous! ;)

We would be nice and dry and be able to cook a meal as well as get some sleep in the air conditioned cabin. LOL

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:14 AM
JT - What do you reckon mate? See yourself fishing on that baby with me???
There is even an ice maker for your Jimmies mate!

Lovey80
25-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Crikey all right! Thats a cracker of a boat. I wonder what it wouldcost to land that bad boy here? Anyone got any idea? Maybe Pinhead could shed some light on it?

what would one of those things weigh?
Cheers

Chris

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Good to see you back on the forum mate and always good to keep you informed with pics and emails of the fishing here in beautiful sunny QLD:)
JT
Yeah keep those pics coming mate....just make sure there aren't any more "treble in the leg" types though!!!!! LOL :)

rat_catcher
25-05-2009, 07:48 AM
what would one of those things weigh?

From the Glacier Bay website;

Towed Weight Dry w/ Trailer (approx) 9440 lbs/ 4282 kg

http://www.glacierbaycats.com/show/boats/model/2670_cuddy.html

Yeah it is sure getting into serious towing territory, plus it is overwidth for Australia.

insideout
25-05-2009, 08:13 AM
gee its a long way and one hell-of-a culture shock going from rocky to san fran eh? lol :o ( im a ex rocky lad);) . What sort of work takes you from here to there? Dont matter that the boat is bigger than tow limit, may have to just leave her in the briny, for that price, what a steal.....

Smithy
25-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Glacier Bays are definately good bits of gear. I know Roger B on here rates a smaller GB better than a 2700 Noosacat he goes out in. Either run them as semi displacement boats or power them up like our cats and get into them.

JT musta PMed me about what you were up to.

Seeya when you are back. You missed a good billfish season here.

jtpython
25-05-2009, 05:58 PM
MMMMMMMMMMM Nice ........... You said you might bribng a glaicier cat back .
Over width but ways around that yiou have the vehicle to tow her
Is it 4 ton the v8 or 3.5 ton on the Cruiser.
Long weekend coming up my holidays here next week 3 days in Ruby vale then 5 days fishing back home ... Will be hard to take specily if it's blowing Dogs off chains
JT

rat_catcher
27-05-2009, 02:03 AM
gee its a long way and one hell-of-a culture shock going from rocky to san fran eh? lol :o ( im a ex rocky lad);) . What sort of work takes you from here to there? Dont matter that the boat is bigger than tow limit, may have to just leave her in the briny, for that price, what a steal.....

Long story short;

I joined the Navy
Met and married an American girl in Sydney
Left Navy
Moved to the US with her
Worked for software company in US
They moved me back to Australia and said live where ever you want
I chose Rocky as that is where my family is
Since moved back to the US again for work

rat_catcher
27-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Glacier Bays are definately good bits of gear. I know Roger B on here rates a smaller GB better than a 2700 Noosacat he goes out in. Either run them as semi displacement boats or power them up like our cats and get into them.
Most of them seem to have 2 x 150hp 4-strokes on the back. Would seem a little underpowered compared to a KC2400 with 2 x 140's, but given they are really a semi-displacement hull rather than a planing hull, I understand why they use less power. I bet they would also be more seaworthy and a softer ride, plus probably use less fuel. Remember the GB2670 is a MUCH bigger boat than a KC2400.

I know GB ran one from Seattle to Alaska and another from Hawaii to Midway Island, so I am sure they are seaworthy, plus they have the range. I am thinking I could even hit the Swains from Rosslyn Bay in one of these babies.

JT musta PMed me about what you were up to.
Yeah he told me he gave you an update.

Seeya when you are back. You missed a good billfish season here.
I bet you had a blast working in Cairns!

rat_catcher
27-05-2009, 02:11 AM
MMMMMMMMMMM Nice ........... You said you might bribng a glaicier cat back .
Just dreaming at the moment mate. I need to sell the 702L first and then figure out the whole shipping thing, but given the prices here it is something that I am seriously considering.

Over width but ways around that yiou have the vehicle to tow her
Is it 4 ton the v8 or 3.5 ton on the Cruiser.
The Landcruiser is rated to tow 3.5 tonnes. So would need to upgrade to an F250 or similar that is rated to 4.5 tonnes in Australia.

Amazing prices on those things here too. I can get a late model V8 turbo-diesel F250 dual cab for around $20k. I also know there is a company in Gympie that imports these trucks and converts them to RHD. Maybe they could convert one for me. If I stick with the F250 then I am sure I could get it serviced at th elocal Ford dealership.

Long weekend coming up my holidays here next week 3 days in Ruby vale then 5 days fishing back home ... Will be hard to take specily if it's blowing Dogs off chains
JT
Enjoy the gemfields mate. It will blow while you are out there and then be perfect when you are home! :) Anyway I hope it aint the other way around......

rat_catcher
27-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Over width but ways around that.......
Or maybe I just leave it at the CCYC.

jtpython
27-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Whats them Dodge RAms like i know Bill Korte has one to tow that KC 30 footer with his .............. Plus it looks the deal. Will find out where Bill got it from . I know you need a truck license he was telling us.
JT
Saturday is looking good here at moment don't know how long for thou getting blowly again sunday and we all know what it's like here when the show is on.

ifishcq1
27-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi Rat Catcher
I went for a run in a GB 2270 and it was unreal
they had twin 115 suzuki
as Smithy said you can run semi disp or power up
they say these are true displacement hulls, meaning that they lift up and go faster than their waterline speed allows them by virtue of the buoyancy in the hulls and not the hulls planing surfaces.
cruising speed was around 24-25knots and just ate 1m chop in all directions
If I didn't have such a longterm love affair with longboats and the wallet could pay for it I would go the 26 or 28 GB

at around 130grand here you have a reasonable margin to work with

cheers

insideout
27-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Whats them Dodge RAms like i know Bill Korte has one to tow that KC 30 footer with his .............. Plus it looks the deal. Will find out where Bill got it from . I know you need a truck license he was telling us.
JT
Saturday is looking good here at moment don't know how long for thou getting blowly again sunday and we all know what it's like here when the show is on.

Bill still kicken around up there, how many pubs does he own now???::)

reefer
27-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Smithy,

I think you should you ask him about a following sea.

Phil

jtpython
27-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Bill still kicken around up there, how many pubs does he own now???::)
Gone into Sub divisions for a while think the last pub was Thangool But sold her now
Was there tonight at his palce having a few snappy ones. took Couple pics of the RAM will post up
;D 4.5 towing they are
JT

jtpython
27-05-2009, 08:34 PM
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/27052009001.jpg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/27052009002.jpg

There she is a towing rig don't know the price
but she's a rig

hercules
28-05-2009, 05:26 PM
For what its worth ,you can only tow an overwidth boat with a truck with a gvm off at least 4.5 tonne . i have a chev that can tow 4.5 tonne but its the width of over 2.5m that makes it illegal . The chev Dually can be rated over 4.5 gvm or under if you take out a spring . Obviously you then need a truck license .

If you wanted to get a dually and get performax at Gympie to do the conversion i would bring one over yourself as a new 4x4 dually will set you back 140k from them.
good luck, i luv the yank boats , one of those or a gradywhite is my dream.

Craig

jtpython
28-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I believe you need a truck license to drive the Ram they we telling me his wife can't drive it for that reason.
The grady's are nice Striper is another . I think where Scott lived in Rockhampton there is a Striper there too......... Scott was talking to him before he headed oversea's about tagging along outwide
JT

rat_catcher
29-05-2009, 06:36 AM
I believe you need a truck license to drive the Ram they we telling me his wife can't drive it for that reason.
Unless that is just an excuse to keep her out of it!!!! :)

The grady's are nice Striper is another . I think where Scott lived in Rockhampton there is a Striper there too......... Scott was talking to him before he headed oversea's about tagging along outwide
JT
Yeah around the corner from my place in Rocky the guy has a Seaswirl Striper 2601 with 2 x 200hp Optimax's on the back. Bl**dy nice looking rig too!

But I have pretty much decided my next boat will have 2 hulls.

rat_catcher
29-05-2009, 06:41 AM
If you wanted to get a dually and get performax at Gympie to do the conversion i would bring one over yourself as a new 4x4 dually will set you back 140k from them.
Yeah Performax in Gympie is the place I have been looking at. I have done my research and it looks like I can bring back a Chevy Silverado and if I have owned it for 12 months overseas I pay no import duty. Plus the guys at Performax will convert it for me.

I just have to look into the cost of the conversion and shipping for the truck.

The other option is to not spend on a truck and get something like this Glacier Bay 3470, which looks hot. But I really prefer to have it at home in the yard to work on and be able to tow it to places fishing.

I took my 702L to 1770 so I could head out to Lady Musgrave and it was a good trip. Rather than being stuck in one place that it my idea anyway.

rat_catcher
29-05-2009, 06:43 AM
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/27052009002.jpg

There she is a towing rig don't know the price
but she's a rig
Bl**dy nice looking rig too! I am looking at a Chevy Silverado dual-cab with a v8 turbo-diesel. The way things are over here the prices on all of this type of stuff is rock bottom.

rat_catcher
29-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I think you should you ask him about a following sea.
Are you referring to the Glacier Bay in a following sea?

rat_catcher
29-05-2009, 06:46 AM
at around 130grand here you have a reasonable margin to work with
That is the idea, but I haven't done all the sums yet to see where I end up cost-wise. I still think it might be worth it, especially as if I do it right I won't have to pay import duty, which should give more of a margin.