PDA

View Full Version : FG Knot

PlasticFantastic
24-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Just been brushing up on the knots as the weather hasn't been to kind for the offshore fishing and came across this knot called the FG Knot. Manage to tie a couple of variations as shown below and was wondering does anyone here use it and how strong is it. It's a little fiddly to tie but requires no double in the braid and no knot in the mono (For the top knot) so should cast like a rocket. Any opinions?

PlasticFantastic

Pete62
24-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi mate, pretty sure that is a variation of what I asked about awhile ago on here called the "Mid Knot". Do a guick search and u will find it. I am sold on this knot, it is slim and casts like a champ too. The only thing I don't like is the advise (June Modern Fishing) is to melt the ends, bloody hard to do in the boat with any breeze.

Pete.

ON-THE-CHEW
24-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Mark,
No point doing up an extra strong knot if you can't catch any big fish. Just kidding, you will have to show me the dummies guide on how to do it. Definately think the one with out the mono knot is the go.

Andrew

Horse
24-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I like the look of the one without the knot.

PlasticFantastic
24-05-2009, 06:23 PM
It's ok Andrew i'm happy to tie the knots and take the fish photos after all someones gotta do it. I'll show you how to tie it up as long as you sign a disclaimer saying it's not my fault you get a braid knot and lose a $50 popper. Just kidding.

PlasticFantastic

PlasticFantastic
24-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Pete62 just did a search on your mid knot and yeah it appears to be one in the same. They seem to start off the same just the finishing techniques and the way people tie it seems to differ slightly. I followed this version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9XgPsWZao

PlasticFantastic

dog tooth
24-05-2009, 07:03 PM
hi
I use the FG knot
i useto use it only for jigging but now i use it for most of my knots
use the first variation and lightey burn the end of the mono to form a mushroom

cheers

metaloid
25-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Funny that, a couple of weeks ago I spent a week-end tying a couple of variations of the GT/Mid knot for the lighter stuff (3 lbs braid on 6 lbs fluoro), and after much pain I managed to get a couple of decent looking knots.

So here I am, all happy with my low profile knot that only took me 10 minutes and 3 tries to get right, sitting on a chair at home! And I'm thinking, I should really test it against another knot. So being lazy, instead of tying my regular bimini-twist +slim-beauty, I tie an improved albright in about 45 seconds flat, standing. Then I give it a pull, and pull... and guess what, the GT knot failed! I tried 3 times, and 3 times the braid broke in the GT knot!!!

Now, I not saying the GT knot isn't strong (I think everyone agrees that the FG or Mid knots are fantastic), but what I'm saying is that for my particular application (and that includes my knot tying skills, or lack thereof ;D), the humble improved albright proved stronger!

Richard
25-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, seems like a lot of stuffing around (that video went for 8 mins!) when other knots do the job ok. I use a combination of double uni and improved albright knots, depending on mainline/leader material.

The FG knot would cast very nicely through the guides though.

bayfisher
25-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Funny that, a couple of weeks ago I spent a week-end tying a couple of variations of the GT/Mid knot for the lighter stuff (3 lbs braid on 6 lbs fluoro), and after much pain I managed to get a couple of decent looking knots.

So here I am, all happy with my low profile knot that only took me 10 minutes and 3 tries to get right, sitting on a chair at home! And I'm thinking, I should really test it against another knot. So being lazy, instead of tying my regular bimini-twist +slim-beauty, I tie an improved albright in about 45 seconds flat, standing. Then I give it a pull, and pull... and guess what, the GT knot failed! I tried 3 times, and 3 times the braid broke in the GT knot!!!

Now, I not saying the GT knot isn't strong (I think everyone agrees that the FG or Mid knots are fantastic), but what I'm saying is that for my particular application (and that includes my knot tying skills, or lack thereof ;D), the humble improved albright proved stronger!

A while back I spent a rainy weekend trying to perfect this knot and i came to the conclusion when tied correctly it was great, but tying it correctly every time was the problem. Some i tested were almost 100% while others failed at 50%, Not only that but i couldn't always tell which one would hold and which one wouldn't, some of the ones that looked perfectly tied failed miserably :-/.

rando
27-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Just guessing here, but to me that knot would not suit finer diameter line.
He is using 65lb braid to 80lb mono. On finer diameter line i would think you would need a lot of plaits for it to be effective.

deepfried
28-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Thats what i have found rando. I cant get it to hold consistently on lighter breaking strains. Great for me on 30lb and above.

bayfisher
28-05-2009, 08:20 AM
It makes sense, i have only tried tying it in line sizes unto 30lb as i rarely ever use heavier than this. So that may very well have been the problem.

Pete62
28-05-2009, 08:47 AM
It makes sense, i have only tried tying it in line sizes unto 30lb as i rarely ever use heavier than this. So that may very well have been the problem.

Hey BF, in the mag article it did say it was only viable on heavier leader material. I am still tying this knot in practice, gets easier, and I think the theory is the braid needs to be able to "Bed" into the leader which would become more difficult with lighter line.

Just my take on it.

If anyone wants the magazine description sent me a PM with a fax number and I will sent it.

Pete.

ethan1
28-05-2009, 07:43 PM
i have found i dont need such a slim casting knot with my light line fishing, but for barra fishing and using >30 pd braid and heavy leader it cast like a dream, and definitely worth the time and practice. The braid needs to be pulled really tight down on the leader so it grips and wont slip like the albright knot can after been knock about by the guides....just my 2c. Cheers.

PlasticFantastic
28-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Well I managed to go out today and roadtest the knot with no failures. Got bitten off I think three times and sharked once and popped the leader another time after chasing what we thought was a GT for 2 hours and the FG knot held strong as. Also the knot's really only meant for heavier applications anything 40lb and under i'd use other knots. There'll be a post up later in the offshore reports from On-The-Chew keep an eye out.

PlasticFantastic