PDA

View Full Version : Stessco 540

littlemac
23-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

I am interested if anyone has reports or first hand experience in a Stessco 540. I am looking at getting a 540 Amberjaqck runabout. Has anyone had dealings with Wondal Road Marine???.

Cheers

Brett

Blackened
23-05-2009, 10:58 PM
G'day

The boys down there are very very upfront, honest and good to deal with. Family run business.

Dave

tin can marlin
23-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi all,

I am interested if anyone has reports or first hand experience in a Stessco 540. I am looking at getting a 540 Amberjaqck runabout. Has anyone had dealings with Wondal Road Marine???.

Cheers

Brett
I would agree i have only heard good reports about wondal road having said that you should look at reports on stessco produts before buying one that will give you an idea of what they are like mixed reports maybe ask for a test ride before you sugn your life away.

goggles
24-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi littlemac bought my stessco catcher from Wondal road marine, good bunch of blokes to deal with as mentioned above. I have not a had a problem with my stessco but opions r varying if u read some reports. cheers Wayno

Jasinex
24-05-2009, 01:43 AM
i have one.. fantastic boat.. matched it with a 90hp Optimax.. never had 1 second of trouble.. great boat nice n dry

good choice

Jasinex
24-05-2009, 01:44 AM
i bought it from wondal rd marine too

talk to Jason down there... hell really look after you

Whitto
24-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I have had a Stessco for about 10yrs......Great boat no problems what so ever......listen to people who own one not some report

Angryant
24-05-2009, 08:14 AM
I have a 485 Amberjack and have had no issues with it at all. Can't comment on Wondall Rd Marine as I got mine from Marine Tune.

My only advice is check the welds and quality of workmanship before you take delivery. This should apply to ANY boat you buy anyway.

Seahorse
24-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I know the bloke who paints all the stessco boats.
I have been to his shed on many occassions and i always have a good look at the boats in the shed, from 4m to 6m.
Hey i was pretty impressed with them.
I have seen them before the fitout and i would buy one.
I have also heard wondall rd marine are good bunch.
good luck

cheers
Greg

castlemaine
24-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Good bunch of people.
Cheers 8-)

Bowser
24-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I haven't bought anything from them but when looking at boats I found them helpful and up front. On the Stessco front, I have two, one that is on sale now and a new hull being fitted out at the moment. They may not be the prettiest boats, but then they don't advertise them in women's magazines like some of the more popular brands, and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Compare them to those advertised in the womens mags, check out the boats, look at what they are, basically the are a tinny, they will never as long as my freckle points to the ground and for a long time after it stops doing so, have the same ride and finish as a high quality, fibreglass, deep V hull and ask yourself if you are prepared to pay anything up to twice the price for the hull just to say you have a better known name on the side that could have some extra bits and pieces of frill or a schmicker paint job? I did the sums and I cannot justify the extra $'s. I can use the savings to make my boat a substantially better fishing platform then the dearer boat in the end. To be honest if I was considering some of these other brands at the price I would be going plate custom made, For a couple of bucks more you end up with a significant upgrade, not just a prettier tinny.

BOMBIE
24-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Nah ,still trying to wake people up just wished how to send photos!!!!!

littlemac
30-05-2009, 11:28 PM
hi all,

thanks for the great info, sorry i have not responded as the wife has been really crook so i have been off air.

thanks sea horse but my pm did not go through to you ????

cheers all

brett

Seahorse
31-05-2009, 08:42 AM
no brett. nothing came through

greg

sempre
31-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I have had 3 stessco's , i currently have a stessco 4.8 m custom job , 4mm sides , 4mm bottom , absolutley brilliant little boat .
I know the guys up there pretty well and they have always been good to me .
Sam...

Bowser
31-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I have had 3 stessco's , i currently have a stessco 4.8 m custom job , 4mm sides , 4mm bottom , absolutley brilliant little boat .
Sam...

1 better then me Sam, but i'd be interested in some pics and details of the 4.8. I am just finishing of fit out of a 4.6. Bought as a bar hull and have since put in a centre console, T Top, engine well, side pocket, toe rails etc. They are rock solid and there is a heap of very solid bulkheads under the floor. Can't wait to finish and put the new motor on and get her on the water.

What are you running on the 4.8? I am looking at a yammie 60 at this stage.

BOMBIE
31-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I haven't bought anything from them but when looking at boats I found them helpful and up front. On the Stessco front, I have two, one that is on sale now and a new hull being fitted out at the moment. They may not be the prettiest boats, but then they don't advertise them in women's magazines like some of the more popular brands, and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Compare them to those advertised in the womens mags, check out the boats, look at what they are, basically the are a tinny, they will never as long as my freckle points to the ground and for a long time after it stops doing so, have the same ride and finish as a high quality, fibreglass, deep V hull and ask yourself if you are prepared to pay anything up to twice the price for the hull just to say you have a better known name on the side that could have some extra bits and pieces of frill or a schmicker paint job? I did the sums and I cannot justify the extra $'s. I can use the savings to make my boat a substantially better fishing platform then the dearer boat in the end. To be honest if I was considering some of these other brands at the price I would be going plate custom made, For a couple of bucks more you end up with a significant upgrade, not just a prettier tinny.AS for being helpful & upfront WELL didnt want to change a thing ,eg tank size or side pockets etc as for advertize in mags most I have contacted wont because of "quality/warranty " dramars and the ARE only just a tinny but should state NOT for offshore use,ride and handling never been problem ,schmicker paint ? wrong footware makes it peel ! and yes they are NOT PLATE and are pretty ,but so was Sonny bill and what did he do to those who invested in him after the fact ??>:(

sempre
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Bowser , its probably easier for you to come and have a look as i have no idea how to post photos , are you northside of Brisbane ?

Bowser
04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
AS for being helpful & upfront WELL didnt want to change a thing ,eg tank size or side pockets etc as for advertize in mags most I have contacted wont because of "quality/warranty " dramars and the ARE only just a tinny but should state NOT for offshore use,ride and handling never been problem ,schmicker paint ? wrong footware makes it peel ! and yes they are NOT PLATE and are pretty ,but so was Sonny bill and what did he do to those who invested in him after the fact ??>:(

Not sure where you are coming from here Bombie, I think that your experiences have really coloured your view and hinders your clarity and reading of my comments, but I will reply from my reading of what you have said.

I was referring to the dealer as being helpful and up front which was part of the original question, after all they are the guys that you actually talk to. I know from experience that Stessco themselves are reluctant to make changes to thier formula. This is one of the reasons that you get a hull for half the price of some of the others, partcularly from the tellwater stable. My comments about advertising in woman's magazines are directed at at some of the other brands as I know that Stessco do very little in the advertising way and don't advertise in anything but boating/fishing mags. The point I make is that for the huge price differential between Stessco and the others you get in return very little, maybe a better paint job on the others a couple of frils but don't get a significantly better boat. As far as paint is concerned, I wouldn't get a painted tinnie, but that was obviously your choice. As far as my comments about plate, I believe that as far as value for money, paying the premium for a Tellwater boat against a Stessco does not make sense to me when for a little more you would get a plate boat custom made to your requirements. In my case I bought a bare hull and then fitted a custom centre console, engine well etc for less then I could get a quinnie and it is made exactly as I want it and not a comprimise from a factory.

Ride, well we are talking about tinnies and unless you come up with a deep V platey the ride is all much of a muchness you get what you pay for. You got a bad one, the others make bad ones as well, but I can't justify the increase in dollars purchasing the other brands for what may be only a slight improvement. As far as offshore goes, well I take my existing boat, a 445, off Straddie and Moreton, again it isn't a deep V glass boat so it doesn't ride like they do, but I didn't pay over a hundred grand for it, that's the compromise. I also get to go to the 35's on around $30 not $130. It is all a matter of knowing your and the boats limitations. If it's 15 knots I stay home or fish in the creeks.

littlemac
06-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Sam...

hi sam,

thanks for that, may i ask who did you get yours through and what engine you have on it.

cheers

brett

chonna
06-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Wondal rd are very helpful. Bought a 4.2m package from them in november and for an extra $500 they upgraded us to a mecury with an elec start on it, which i think is pretty cheap??

i just got my boat back from Albo Marine on tuesday, who actually build the boats. They are located locally, and i was able to get extra side decks and a rear deck welded on for a small fee. VERY good welding job.

I can definately recommend stessco and wondall rd marine. they have been helpfull all the way/

BOMBIE
10-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Not sure where you are coming from here Bombie, I think that your experiences have really coloured your view and hinders your clarity and reading of my comments, but I will reply from my reading of what you have said.

I was referring to the dealer as being helpful and up front which was part of the original question, after all they are the guys that you actually talk to. I know from experience that Stessco themselves are reluctant to make changes to thier formula. This is one of the reasons that you get a hull for half the price of some of the others, partcularly from the tellwater stable. My comments about advertising in woman's magazines are directed at at some of the other brands as I know that Stessco do very little in the advertising way and don't advertise in anything but boating/fishing mags. The point I make is that for the huge price differential between Stessco and the others you get in return very little, maybe a better paint job on the others a couple of frils but don't get a significantly better boat. As far as paint is concerned, I wouldn't get a painted tinnie, but that was obviously your choice. As far as my comments about plate, I believe that as far as value for money, paying the premium for a Tellwater boat against a Stessco does not make sense to me when for a little more you would get a plate boat custom made to your requirements. In my case I bought a bare hull and then fitted a custom centre console, engine well etc for less then I could get a quinnie and it is made exactly as I want it and not a comprimise from a factory.

Ride, well we are talking about tinnies and unless you come up with a deep V platey the ride is all much of a muchness you get what you pay for. You got a bad one, the others make bad ones as well, but I can't justify the increase in dollars purchasing the other brands for what may be only a slight improvement. As far as offshore goes, well I take my existing boat, a 445, off Straddie and Moreton, again it isn't a deep V glass boat so it doesn't ride like they do, but I didn't pay over a hundred grand for it, that's the compromise. I also get to go to the 35's on around $30 not $130. It is all a matter of knowing your and the boats limitations. If it's 15 knots I stay home or fish in the creeks. Bowser I feel that after numerious years of(trying) to dealing with albo marine / stressco/four seasons and having the Dealer and close friend drop stessco as a supplier after mine and others have had very much lack of manufactor support in this area (CQ) try and find one :-X my colour is crystal clear.I again state after contacing several mags as well as maritime safety board qld , ( BIAQ)marine qld fair trading & minister for justice ETC etc .I know first hand WHY they dont advertize in in boat/fishing mags .as for the other brand well thats why i didnt buy one in the first place, an as for ride never once said they ride or handle bad 8-) ,and as for "tinny" at 5.3 and $35.000 and if a 5.3 cant handle 5/10 knots (my) maximum then I think that it is just not made well enough and will I keep going until the hurt stops or until they replace MY STESSCO LEMON :'( >:(

boatie_72
11-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Also something to keep in mind, is stessco only wanrrant their boats for 12 months, unlike most builders which offer 24 months to 36 months. I think that says alot in its own right!