PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheels and Tyres

Scalem
23-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope that I can shed a little light for the unwary or inexperienced boatie by sharing the little I know about wheels and tyres. The main thing that motivated me to start this thread is as a result of being caught out, not once, but twice in recent trailer purchases. But before I tell you what happened most recently, I will rewind to about 25 years ago when I bought my 1st boat, an old Mustang 4.3mtr runabout.....

Maiden Voyage on the way to the Gold Coast and doing 100K on the M1 my wife asks " did we buy this boat with a spare tyre and wheel?" My reply was " Oh buggar, never gave that a second thought" and I wrongly presumed that the previous owner included a spare with the rig. " Don't put a jinx on me darling, I don't want to know about this sort of thing half way down the M1 without a spare" Within 5 mins ( no exaggeration) I heard what sounded not unlike a small calibre gun go off, then that unmistakable shudder through the car to suggest a flat tyre.

I stayed with the boat, while my wife took off with the non standard tyre and rim which I think was a 10" trailer wheel. Nearly 3 hours later she returned, cross, frazzled, cheesed off, but happy to have finally made it back.

None of the Tmarts, Tyreworlds or Kmart auto ( she checked every one of them within a 50km radius of moss street area) had the right tyre and when she found one, she had to drive all the way over to capalaba to get it. Down on her luck, even the ATM she wanted to withdraw some money shut down one person in the queque before her. I really felt sorry for her when she got back to the boat. She was worried about me stuck on the side of the road, but I actually had a bit of a kip, oblivious to the trouble she was having to find a tyre for that rim.

Once sorted, I vowed never to be caught out again with non standard gear, changing the guards, stub axles and wheels to standard holden running gear.

Years later, the trailer needed replacing, so when I bought the new trailer I insisted on standard holden rims and tyres. I was assured the new trailer would be so ...... WRONG! I have noticed 13" ford rim with Ford bearings and tyres in the profile 175/80/SR13 are being supplied. For those who don't know, it's easy to find a 13" holden rim, and Ford mainstream wheels are 14", but it is rare to find 13" Ford rims and rare to find 175/80/SR13 Tyres. I know the Ford bearings are good load bearing, and the tyres are light truck tyres, but why supply non standard ? ( defined in my language as a tyre or rim that can be found easily without having to order in specially, and can be found in the most remote country wrecking yard or tyre and mechanical)

I like to be able to quickly and easily find a spare tyre and rim when in an emergency situation. I have it sorted now, but if I am contemplating towing my rig up to Frazer Island, I will not be doing so without a minimum of two spares, because they are the non standard Ford 13" with 175/80/SR13's.

I hope any buyers of new gear are wary and can learn from my experience. And once a trailer tyre shows cracks in the rubber because of age, REPLACE IT!!

Scalem

BaitThrower
23-05-2009, 05:27 PM
good tips there mate. I have non-standard rims on the home made jobbie that came with my boat... They are 4-stud Mini rims! how about that. I do have a spare however and dont do long trips so here's hoping it lasts a while yet until i get a new trailer.

FNQCairns
23-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Totally agree it is a nightmare, so many "combinations" that will roll your trailer happily along until it doesn't...then all that good will for the product just disappears even outside of a roadside sunday evening horror story.

IMHO for everything 13 and 14 inch it must have ford bearings irrespective of the load it carries and then Holden stud pattern rims, HQ is my sentimental favourite.

With car tyres replace at 4 years (as per the sidewall date stamp) any longer is running a risk, 6 years on a trailer or as mentioned above in the good advice if they show any sign of deterioration.

I have to replace the 4wd tyres next week due to this rule only....it hurts but the COST! and drama will soon be forgotten.

cheers fnq

Chimo
23-05-2009, 05:35 PM
May I add that even if the tyre has no obvious cracks if you take the trailer for a run on smooth road (if you can find one these days) without the boat on you can often feel the trailer; and your tow car, shudder if the tyres are degrading / separating etc. and going out of round.

Had to replace 4 tyres on my trailer and they all looked fine, but weren't.

Nothing was apparent when towing the boat, all seemed good but if I'd got them hot on a trip with only one spare I'd have been in real trouble.

Cheers
Chimo

Lots of crappy light truck tyres out there, including 14inch versions too.

BigE
23-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Beenliegh Trailer spares has 6 & 8 ply load rated tyres on 14 & 15 in gal or white rims (like 4wd mags) in both ford & Holden for about $ 100 (thats wheel & Tyre) ....?????why would put car or 4wd tyres on a trailer I'll never know.

BigE

Scalem
23-05-2009, 05:48 PM
There's also a need to pay attention to the load bearing rating of the tyre. On my Tandem axle if the boat and trailer come in at around 1.5 Tonne, I need tyres with a load capability of at least 400KG each. If you don't tell the tyre dealer what you are trying to carry, you may end up buying something purely on price. The old spare I had was going to be a spare for the Tandem axle. The tyre on that rim was not going to last 5 minutes if I had to use it at any stage.

Scalem

Scalem
23-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Beenliegh Trailer spares has 6 & 8 ply load rated tyres on 14 & 15 in gal or white rims (like 4wd mags) in both ford & Holden for about $ 100 (thats wheel & Tyre) ....?????why would put car or 4wd tyres on a trailer I'll never know.

BigE
Not sure what you mean Big E, I defined standard as - in my language as a tyre or rim that can be found easily without having to order in specially, and can be found in the most remote country wrecking yard or tyre and mechanical

You would put car or 4WD tryes on a car because they are more readily found in an emergency situation. Would it not make sense to have same tyres as your car if you were going longer distances? So long as you don't compromise the specifications of what your rim and tyre are meant to carry on your trailer, I don't see a problem.

Scalem

tigermullet
23-05-2009, 06:03 PM
good tips there mate. I have non-standard rims on the home made jobbie that came with my boat... They are 4-stud Mini rims! how about that. I do have a spare however and dont do long trips so here's hoping it lasts a while yet until i get a new trailer.

That was me too! Whoever decided on using Mini rims should be burnt at the stake.

Trying to find Mini rims is like trying to crack lotto.

Best thing I ever did was go to Trailerworld (I think) got a new axle etc. and fitted light truck tyres.

Scalem
23-05-2009, 06:38 PM
That was me too! Whoever decided on using Mini rims should be burnt at the stake.

Trying to find Mini rims is like trying to crack lotto.

Best thing I ever did was go to Trailerworld (I think) got a new axle etc. and fitted light truck tyres.

Imagine going for a long run up to Awonga and hitting a curb or something. You'd have been stuffed without a spare! Good move changing over.

Scalem

Mad-One
23-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah my new boat package came with 185/80/sr13.........try getting that size in a dunlop or something popular( not going to happen) go down in width though and it changes the load rating of my trailer:-/ >:( That was on a swiftco trailer

Phil

Scalem
23-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah my new boat package came with 185/80/sr13.........try getting that size in a dunlop or something popular( not going to happen) go down in width though and it changes the load rating of my trailer:-/ >:( That was on a swiftco trailer

Phil

Annoying isn't it? What rim did they give you? My 1st new trailer I mentioned had same problem as yours, and the Hub was non standard also where a bearing buddy would not fit, so I had a SS sleeve made so bearing buddies would fit.

FYI going to the 165/80/sr13 light truck, which is my spare, I am told will get me home without drama.

Scalem

DR
23-05-2009, 08:33 PM
was told once, get boat rims the same as the tow vehicle, with vehicle spare & trailer spare both are doubly covered..

Mad-One
23-05-2009, 08:37 PM
was told once, get boat rims the same as the tow vehicle, with vehicle spare & trailer spare both are doubly covered..

Don't think I want 17' rims on trailer

Scott nthQld
23-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Don't think I want 17' rims on trailer

Maybe not, but it'd look cool with a set of 17' chromies with low profiles on them8-)

Coontakinta
23-05-2009, 10:06 PM
but why supply non standard ? ( defined in my language as a tyre or rim that can be found easily without having to order in specially, and can be found in the most remote country wrecking yard or tyre and mechanical)

Firstly great thread and yes a trap for young and inexperienced players for sure!

I think you may have answered your own question as to the reason why the wheels are non standard in that by doing this you are forced to pay the exorbidant prices charged for spares, whichby the way, are not supplied as standard on any boat package. In my case I was lucky, my dunbier came with 14" ford rims and are easily found, but for others with the 13" ones, well..........

I understand that Zephyr rims will fit, but I cant confirm that and I'm sure that these are about as common of the 10" mini wheels mentioned above.

Again, Scalem, good advice8-)

Mad-One
24-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I can get 13" ford rims through work(Repco) and they are galv rims

Phil

Mad-One
24-05-2009, 02:41 PM
These are all the parts I can get for trailers and caravans.
View catalodue here http://www.trojanparts.com.au/files/OZ%20Cat%20V12%20Jul%2008.pdf

Explorer570
24-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Fully agree with this thread. Need to stick with common sizes.

Just upgraded my tandem wheels tyres.

It was originally fitted with Landcruiser split rims with 205R16 tyres.
10 yrs ago these split rims were very common and could be bought for very little, however the original offset LC rims have not been sold since the HJZ75 crusers about 1997 and are becomming a little more difficult to pick up for $5 each.

Anyway the split rims were rusting to pieces (again:( ) so I sourced some nissan 6 stud, 6x16 tubless rims on ebay these have the same offset and PCD as Hilux, Navara, Pajero, Triton ie easily found. Rims $15, sandblasting, $25, hot dip gal $40, good 2nd hand tyres $50 fitted. $130 each all up.

Rims should be good for 10+ years, and tyres for 5yrs.
I see it pointless buying new tyres for boat trailer tyres, as they perish very quickly and unless you are in the pro comp circuit will never wear them out. Very good 205R16 tyres are cheap as they are so common. They also have great load carrying capacity.

They other thing to mention when we are on the topic of trailers - wheel bearings. Whether you drown it once a year or 50 times, always repack the bearings annually.

Cheers and happy trailer boating.:)

Blaster Bretty
24-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I got good old commodore pursuit rims at 15in with 205 / 60 car tyre's, very easy to get a spare where ever you may be, of course I only have a 12 foot glass runabout so the load rating isnt an issue but I did have a drama one day, it went like this!
was on the way home from cabbage tree point and all was well, stopped at the bottle store and when I came out the tyre was almost flat, I rang the mrs and she brought the spare to me in 10 mins! replaced and off again. I took the flat tyre to bob jane's the next day and they said it didnt have a puncture, but it could have been a build up of rust around the inner wall of the steel rim from all the salt water dunking's etc, the rust expands and slowly breaks the seal letting the air out!
well who would of thought eh!...they still charged me $20...."sheesh"

Bretty

whiteman
25-05-2009, 01:17 PM
My tyre guy does lots of boat trailers and he just rolls his eyes when I ask for the best quality 13" truck tyre as such a thing doesn't exist. So for $80 I get a tyre which will last 2-3 years without a lot of use.

finga
25-05-2009, 02:19 PM
In an emergency situation you should be prepared.
Have 1 or 2 spares and look after the wheels and tyres and jobs done.
If a tyre shop carried every sized tyre and rim available they'd need a shop the size of Ikea to put them.
My common old Mazda needs tyres ordered when I need new ones and there must be 1,000's of them and Ford Telstar's still on the road.
Tyres for my old HZ need to be ordered as well.

There is no such animal as a standard tyre and rim now.
You should have stipulated HT Holden stud pattern 13" alloy or galvanised rims.
Years gone by 13" Falcon, Holden and the smaller mini rims were everywhere but now they're not on common cars.
13" wheels are near extinct now full stop on cars and can only be brought as an aftermarket item.
Most trailer places would be able to supply a 13" Holden or Falcon wheel as they are still fairly common on trailers.
They'll also stock the 13" LT tyre.
I'd hate to have to find a 13" HT Holden rim in a wrecking yard now-a-days. They are as rare as rocking horse poo now as well as anything before 1990 would be squished and turned into huge paperweights.

Maybe they put the Ford patterned 13" rims on the save confusion when they use Ford bearings in the hubs? To me it would be confusing to have Holden rims and Ford bearings....but I'm pretty slow in some matters.
The trick is to know and stipulate exactly what you want and to check that you received it or simply put in another train of thought...what's a standard fish finder?? Is it Furuno FCV-1150 or a Humminbird Wide-Eye??

DONTdoIT
25-05-2009, 03:36 PM
me and my brother are half way thro converting the wheels from 10" to 14" commodore. it all looks good just have to cut the end of the bolts heads off the 2 holding the gaurd as they stickout and may rub on the tyre when hitting bumbs.

i found the 10" would make the boat sway all over the place when doing over 60ish lol can anyone confirm upgradeing to 14" and much wider tyre. is this going to make it a smooth Tow.

Thanks Ian

FNQCairns
25-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Ian the size will not in it's self make it sway, suspect they are a little too far forward, compared to 14 inch the 10s magnify every bump.

cheers fnq

DONTdoIT
25-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Ian the size will not in it's self make it sway, suspect they are a little too far forward, compared to 14 inch the 10s magnify every bump.

cheers fnq

when on the jockey wheel the trailer sits there nicely you cant get into the back as trailer will tip but without trying to tip it will sit there. does that sound about right ?

Laterz Ian

sheridan
25-05-2009, 05:19 PM
My tyre guy does lots of boat trailers and he just rolls his eyes when I ask for the best quality 13" truck tyre as such a thing doesn't exist. So for $80 I get a tyre which will last 2-3 years without a lot of use.
Hi Whiteman
I have Nankang 175 R13C radial light TRUCK tyres on my boat trailer so they do exist . I towed my boat from Brisbane to Cairns 1700 Klms, about 60 klms out of Cairns one blew out they were near new tyres I replaced it with a yokohama delivery star which bob Jane tyres said was light truck they had to order it in I think it is 8 ply tyre they were about$140 oo each.I also had to get a new rim from Taylor trailers in Cairns which wasn't cheap either.

Geoff

FNQCairns
25-05-2009, 05:38 PM
when on the jockey wheel the trailer sits there nicely you cant get into the back as trailer will tip but without trying to tip it will sit there. does that sound about right ?

Laterz Ian

nah doesn't sound right, depends on the size of the boat too, more weight needed over the hitch, either by moving the wheels back or the boat forward, possibly both, what would be the guesstimated weight of the rig? There is a 10% rule which can be shaved to 6% in the real world depending on individual circumstance but the wheels back will do the most to achieve a stable straight line tow.

cheers fnq

Scalem
25-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, interesting points coming through

murf
25-05-2009, 08:15 PM
on my Dunbier trailer it has Gal Ford pattern rims with Holden bearings, go figure that one :-/ I still haven't got my head around it
has 175/80 Dunlop LT tyres

cheers Murf

whiteman
26-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Whiteman
I have Nankang 175 R13C radial light TRUCK tyres on my boat trailer so they do exist . I towed my boat from Brisbane to Cairns 1700 Klms, about 60 klms out of Cairns one blew out they were near new tyres I replaced it with a yokohama delivery star which bob Jane tyres said was light truck they had to order it in I think it is 8 ply tyre they were about$140 oo each.I also had to get a new rim from Taylor trailers in Cairns which wasn't cheap either.

Geoff
Geoff
I've towed my boat many, many k's including Syd to TSV and beyond. It is not the long trip I fear. It's the short trip following a hot NQ summer where the boat is in a shed. The tyres just don't seem to like heat and humidity. The boat is 8 years old and I have had 4 sets of tyres including Nankings. And when one side goes, the other inveriably follows soon after.

tenzing
02-06-2009, 05:42 PM
These are all the parts I can get for trailers and caravans.
View catalodue here http://www.trojanparts.com.au/files/OZ%20Cat%20V12%20Jul%2008.pdf
Thanks Phil. pm sent
Brendan