PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island Shark Adventure 17/18 May 09

Mattg68
23-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Get a call on Thursday from a mate (Nigel) who's keen to get over to Moreton to land a shark (or something big), as long as it pulls hard he says, so 'done deal' i reply. Over Sunday morning set up camp on the western side 'somewhere' and rig up 2 Tiagra 50LRS outfits with whole mullet, 250lb wire to 37kg mono with 12/0 hooks, (ummm tasty). Deploy the first bait via kayak about 4.30pm. and 20 minutes later something 'leans' on the bait - no run, maybe weed chunk?, so we wait a few more minutes and then a little more lean - still no run. Another 10 minutes passes - pull in we'll check the bait, deadweight back in thinking weed for sure, but no, instead 88cm/25lb Spotted Cod, AWESOME!!! A couple of freight trains and loses later mine starts to run, bam, set the hook for a moment but then, pop, bugger he's spat it. Pull in with slight 'deadweight' again and in comes a 82cm/19lb Spotty, you're kiddin!!! No.

Later that night, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Nigels on, kit him up with the seat belt and harness while he's fighting. This ones hooked this time and 20 minutes later he's heading for shore, no second wind on this fella so he complies and up the beach comes a 7 foot Bull shark, not bad, Nigels happy that's the main thing. Next day we head up to Taylor Bight to throw some plastics, caught a few Flathead while filling time until the home trip. All in all a great couple of days and to bring home some huge fillets was a major bonus. Can't beat those last minute adventures. 2 thumbs up.

Crew - Nigel / Dave / Matt

Cheers
Matt

Fishbait
23-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Great going Matt - sounds like a lot of fun there.

tailorboi99
23-05-2009, 02:09 PM
There's me thinking the temperatures are too cold for Toothies right now ::). Great fish and sounds like a wonderful adventure.

Thanks Tom

GBC
23-05-2009, 04:18 PM
When I was camped over there last time there was a group near us doing similar to you - on the point before the Cowan stretch.

Woke up in the morning to find a carved up bully left on the beach to stink up the place - not to mention distress the anti fishing lobby, parkies and anyone else who came by and took photos.>:(

I've got no issue with what you do - great catch by the way - just hope it wasn't you lot giving the rest of us a bad name by not either releasing alive or disposing of the evidence.

Please understand that the modus operandi - right down to reel choice - is too similar NOT to ask the question.

The last two ohotos look like a bloke releasing a shark to me so I hope I'm wrong.;)

jtpython
23-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Nice cod there guys nice feed .JT

RAT-KING
23-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Well done sounds like a great nites fishing!
Always good to score the target species!
Cheers Simon

Horse
23-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Thats a novel way of pulling some tasty Cod bycatch. Looks like fun

Always_offshore
23-05-2009, 08:43 PM
good onya,go hard!!!!!
love those on the spur of the moment adventures.

Mattg68
23-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys, was awesome.

GBC - definately released the shark (alive & well), the cod on the other hand didn't fall under our same graces. The bloke at the Bulwer tackle shop said there have been a few people landing shark there so who knows. Was the only one we landed all night. I do have video footage of the whole thing which hopefully will end up on utube.

Matt

twotins
23-05-2009, 09:43 PM
That is one serious bully mate those things are man eaters, oh, not bad bycatch either cheers, Shawno

dogsbody
23-05-2009, 09:44 PM
You got some big Cods there matey and some nice fish to boot.

Gee you could of given that Cod a rinse if you're gonna use it in your avatar.

Zip ties eh,,,that's novel perhaps rubber bands next time if you must ;)

Dave

dogsbody
24-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Can you let us know if you get that footage on you tube. Would very much like to see it.

Dave

Crisp Bee
28-05-2009, 04:44 PM
good catch indeed. Gotta love those Zip ties.

Mattg68
29-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Can you let us know if you get that footage on you tube. Would very much like to see it.

Dave

Dave, & for anyone else interested. Quality's a bit ordinary but heh.

click on link below;

QNSLEH8FSRU

Matt

iceknight
31-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Plenty of sharks still at moreton... but too many dusky whalers... in plauge proportions... seem to turn right on in the colder weather there,.....

summer time is best for the bigguns....

Although i do know of a fellah who got a white there last year about this time.... 6ft. south of tangas landbased...

Mattg68
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
yeh iceman i agree, will be heading back over in Sept. hoping for some bigger action. we did get absolutely smoked there close to sunset & the bugger half launched himself out the water as he popped the line, estimate size 9+foot was fuggin awesome to see. ya got some nice mm's there (signature), where do you prefer?

matt

iceknight
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
usally always fish the northern end.. bulwer. lots of bottom there tho, and tide to take in to consideration.. esp when a baits out 400m and tide starts running hard... trick is to pick the tides when theres no weed or kelp about...