PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Saragosa or the Spheros?? comments please

Chris_2184
21-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Just after some sort of feedback or review from people who have used these reels.

Thinking either the 14000F or the 18000F Saragosa or maybe the Spheros 14000FB or 18000FB. It's intended purpose would be mainly just as a medium-heavy all-rounder, bottom bashing, jigging and casting poppers or metals......any comments please, thanks:)

PlasticFantastic
21-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I dont own either of these reels but have had a play with them both. Go the Saragosa as it's a newer version of the Spheros with an upgraded drag, machined handle and I think one extra bearing. Or if you can get a Spheros for a good price buy it and add a Stella 20000 handle carbontex drag washers and an extra bearing, either way they'll both do the job intended.

PlasticFantastic

Scott nthQld
21-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Saragosa and spheros are basically the same reel, but the saragosa does have an extra bearing, and more drag, and is a bit more ergonomic in terms of weight and comfy handle. If you decide on the spheros and want to change a few things, pick up the saragosa instead, its already been done and will cost less overall. Plus its been pimped out a bit and just looks sexier than the spheros

It was for this reason I decided on the Saragosa over the Spheros and haven't regretted it once, a good strong reel capable of pulling big fish and drag pressures at 1/4 the price of the stella.

GPB
22-05-2009, 02:10 PM
The Saragosa also has the 'Paladin' gearing which toughens it up a lot.
I fully upgraded a Spheros and used it for a couple of years with no complaints, but have since run a Saragosa in its place for the last 14 months, it has done a heap of jigging in the 200-300gm range in 70-100mt of water [harder on the gears than actually fighting a fish] with no signs of wear at all, it is not out of place amongst my HD Stellas.
The only difference between the 14000 Saragosa and the 18000 is line capacity and associated weight.
A top reel for your application Chris, the 4.9:1 ratio is spot on as well, IMO http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/bunzo51/Smileys/thumbsup.gif

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index/products/reels/saltwater_spinning/Saragosa.html

insider
22-05-2009, 02:13 PM
For sheer durability go the Banax GT5000. Machine cut brass gears and pinion are as tough as. I heard from a few blokes that they are unbreakable.

Cheers

reidy
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Also ##########s full brass machined geared, 24kg carbonex drag Diablo for under $350ish is a top buy.Not that well known at the moment but as tough as you will buy.
Also its covered by a 10 year warranty and free service.
Run one down here in Tassie and its bloody great for the outlay.
Cheers
Reidy