PDA

View Full Version : Safery Recall Savage and Bermuda

Gary Fooks
21-05-2009, 01:19 PM
BOAT SAFETY RECALL

Marine Power International Pty Ltd has become aware that certain Savage & Bermuda models with an underfloor fuel tank may have been fitted with incorrectly rated hoses running from the fuel tank to the fuel filter and from the fuel tank to the breather/vent.

It is possible that under some conditions these hoses could degrade. If this happens fuel could leak into the bilge of the boat leading to a risk of fire or explosion which could lead to severe injury or death to the operator, passengers or bystanders.

As a result of this, Marine Power International has implemented a voluntary product recall for the inspection and rectification of all affected boats.

The product recall affects consumers who have bought a Savage forward steer aluminium or fibreglass boat with an underfloor fuel tank between October 1999 and December 2008 that was manufactured prior to December 2007. Or a Bermuda forward steer aluminium boat purchased with an underfloor fuel tank between January 2005 to December 2008 and manufactured from January 2005 to December 2007.

Please note that boats with a portable fuel tank are not affected.

People with an affected boat should stop using it immediately. They should contact their nearest Mercury or Mariner Dealer who will arrange for the boat to be inspected and rectified at the expense of Marine Power International Pty Ltd.

For your nearest dealer location please refer to the website www.mercurymarine.com.au (http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/) or call during business hours in Australia 1800 701 202, in New Zealand 0800 688 262 or email savage.recall@mercmarine.com (savage.recall@mercmarine.com) .

Media enquiries - contact Jonathan Revitt on 08 8267 6888

mod5
21-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Gary. Have made this a sticky.

stevelcqld
21-05-2009, 03:28 PM
From 1999 to 2008 ? Just a small issue. I wonder how many former owners would have spent $$ to replace the fuel lines them selves and have since sold the rigs..

Steve

BOMBIE
26-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Good to see some decent boat manufactors putting there hands up !!

JayT
26-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Hmm I have a 99 savage scorpion cuddy with u/floor tank an pop the floor from time to time for a look, may just have another little look see tomoz, I wonder what the specs are on these hoses etc....interesting!
Cheers Jay

Magella
27-05-2009, 09:04 AM
If the floors scewed down make sure you use an air drill or screwdriver not a cordless or power drill as these can have make sparks and have been known to cause fuel fumes built up in the bildge to explode

Cheers Foxie

3rd degree
26-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Gary,

A work mate of mine has a Savage as you have described purchased new in about 2003-04.

Knowing this I have showed him this post this morning and he has called Savage in NSW to discuss the problem and they have advised him it is mischevious and misleading

Not sure what the go is??

Cheers

Jim

Marky Mark
26-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Have seen the same recall elsewhere and even some people who have had the recall and repairs done so I am assuming it's for real. The dodgy hoses in question are clear with a white thread cross hatching and a yellow and blue stripe on one side. They get hard and may crack.

3rd degree
26-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks Marky

Cheers

Jim

mod5
26-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Gary,

A work mate of mine has a Savage as you have described purchased new in about 2003-04.

Knowing this I have showed him this post this morning and he has called Savage in NSW to discuss the problem and they have advised him it is mischevious and misleading

Not sure what the go is??

Cheers

Jim

If he is having trouble with the local dealer, get him to ring the 1800 number in Gary's first post.

Here is a link to the actual recall notice on the Mercury Marine Website http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/MPI/mmwebsite.nsf/content/Product+Recall

3rd degree
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks Mod 5