PDA

View Full Version : reels for kayaking..

iceknight
20-05-2009, 09:30 PM
What are the best reels to kayak with... eg throwing plastics.. ect..

I have a few stradics.. but not real keen on using it as one mistake could see it under water....

are there any reels designed for kayaks.. that are able to be immersed with out any great danger??

Chrome Dome
21-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Only Alveys can be dunked, and these won't be too crash hot for most of the fishing we like to do off yaks.
I tend to use cheap or mid-range reels (eg Daiwa Exceller etc) to limit the risk, and have a milk crate with plastic attached around the outside and PVC pipe rod holders attached inside on each corner. If the chop is up when I'm paddling home, I keep the rods in here, with a cover over the top to keep the water out.
Hard to avoid a bit of a splash though when you are fishing 18" above sea level.

gregw
21-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm using Shimano Sienna 2500fb - at $59 I think a pretty good reel. I have never submerged it to date, gets splashed of course and a quick hose down after each trip and an odd oil and spray with WD40 and seem ok.
I have a light wooden box with a lid occy strapped to the kayak and it has 2 rod holders screwed onto it so that they point out to each side. I keep this at arms length in front of me. Works ok for trolling and general paddling.
My kayak is a basic Ocean Kayak - Malibu 2

Cheers - Greg W

Just_chips
21-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I use quality reels from my kayak (Twin Power, Sustain, Calcutta etc). They cop a fair bit of water from time to time. It has made me quite particular about my reel maintenance now. I have also learned how to strip down and clean, lube and reassemble my reels (a skill that I hadn't bothered to learn in the past) I also buy innox by the box rather than a can at a time. (Innox and Lanox is much better for your reels and line than WD40)

Kev

iceknight
21-05-2009, 11:50 PM
so inox is alright for braid and mono??

SandStorm
28-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I use cheap Leada reels off my small inflatable RIB one was dunked, I rinsed it down and it still works ok, they are as cheap as £20 over here

tunaticer
29-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I am currently saving for a pair of stradics, currently using okuma epix efs reels and symetres, Both breeds holding up well on some very wet and being fished very hard. Going to the Stradics eventually for the anti-corrosion properties, a cut above the symetre and a long way above the okumas.

Keep an eye on A mart as sometimes they are flogging twinpowers for the price of a symetre.

Snap Dog
02-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I tie 2 plastic bag's around my reel's when heading out and coming in.

jud

LostNearBribie
03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Maintenance is the key.
A product like Balistol is great, not cheap, but great.
Cover the reel with the spray and leave it for a day before you get it near water.
It dries leaving a thin layer of grease on the reel, great for protection.
Then when you get back, tighten drag up, warm soapy water, dry and re-apply Balistol, loosen drag back off.
If your reel does take a dunk in the salt, get it serviced straight away if you don't know how to do it.
I used to do this with my Stradic and now with the TwinPower, no problems.

Hope this helps.

LostNearBribie
03-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Just noticed the guy has been banned... bummer.