PDA

View Full Version : More Red action off Wide Bay

Reefmaster
18-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi all,
Myself and foxy were going to head up Fraser Island for look on the weekend while the comp is on but the weather was to good to sit on the beach watch everyone else catch fish so at the last minute opted to go fishing instead so packed the boat and headed off Thursday night ready for an early morning launch at Tin Can bay for a fish out from the Wide Bay bar. Crew was foxy, Rob (maccamania) and Trent Butler. After a couple hours sleep we headed for the bar around 3am and made our way through the bar of slop with the help of a slight bit of light from the moon to see the white water. A couple of the boys looked slightly worried as Trent confirmed later on as he didn’t want a repeat performance of his bar ordeal that took place with Andrew Symonds and Matthew Hayden some years ago. I headed wide with a WNW wind just white capping the water and a couple hours later fished a few red spots to find small shows and a strong Southerly current. Plenty of rain clouds around us and also a couple of water spouts close by to keep us amused. Just amazing to watch. The fishing was tough through out the day with the conditions but we managed to pull Reds, Coronation Trout, Red Throat, Parrot, Hussar, etc before anchoring before dark as the wind died completely out but the current roared making it almost unfishable but persistence paid off while listening to the Friday night footy and a few nice reds were pulled aboard with Trento pulling a good red which had a story behind it that will haunt him for the rest of his life. Lol We hit the sack but around 11pm the wind started to blow from the West but with the current so strong we laid side on to the waves all night which made for a rocky night and about 3am with Trent sleeping on the back deck coped a rolling wave over the side covering him and his warm swag with that beautiful salty taste.lol By the morning the wind was SW and pretty fresh so I headed back towards the bar to fish some spots closer in. Not much was happening so anchored a spot covered in bait but our freshly caught livies were only mauled by big mack tuna so headed for a last fish in closer and pulled a few cod before heading over the bar after lunch. Ended up with 12 reds and a good assortment of other reefies and although the fishing required plenty of effort the trip was worth while with great company and a heap of laughs.

On Sunday I cleaned the boat out and took the kids for run in the bay over to Moreton for a swim and a quick fish which was great for a change. Will put a of couple pics in the bay section.

Regards,
Greg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509007.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509068.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509040.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509026.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509016.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509035.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509011.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509012.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/WideDI150509009.jpg

lethal098
18-05-2009, 01:59 PM
thats another great haul of fish and great story Greg, i would almost donate anything for that colour in my box. cheers Lee

lenthals_barra
18-05-2009, 02:02 PM
very nice haul mate, hope to get out that way in a couple of weeks on the local boat gutter rut

BigE
18-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Nice fish Greg ...... that spout is amazing was it heading your way?? that would def make you think of cutin N runin would not like to tangle with one of those.

BigE

davecc
18-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Great catch of fish there Greg and Co, looks like once again you nailed them,
How is the Riptide going? Dave builds a good boat and now im wishing that i hadn't sold mine
Cheers Dave

Spot82
18-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks again for the report, seems you definitely know where to go out there! I got a few more marks during the week so when the weather permits I'll be keen to go to rainbow to chase the red feeling.

Thanks again for the report, always a good read and good fishy photos! Those coronations are always good chewing!

Redhunter
18-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Good catch there reef master. I thought you guys would have done it a bit tougher than that considering the b/pressure was around 1016.

JayT
18-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Nice fish Greg an those spouts are absolutely awesome:):)
Cheers Jay

seapup
18-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Nice work Greg some nice fish. The water spout looks sic!

ballsie
18-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Out again hey......And i was on an RDO just catching bloody squire with the mrs. And was all but outfished by her. Good to see that Maca getting out there still. I bet you fellas are missing dart sandwiches about ths time of year.

I dont think they'll be getting out to much more this week at the comp. We ended up with 27 Squire, 1 pearlie and a few AJ's on the fri /sat best going only 6.8kg but still good fun out there with the mrs and her old man.

marty+jojo
18-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Some nice fish there.
Bad luck about the wave Trento, certainly would have woken up with a fright.
Marty.

jtpython
18-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Incredible report as usaul mate some awesome colour.
Congrates JT

kitty_cat
18-05-2009, 07:34 PM
couldnt stay on shore and watch hey greg ,
that fishing adiction is a hard one to resist hey
nice reds as always should of been in the comp biggest i here is only 12kg at the momement that one foxy is holding cant be far off nudging the leader board
wayne

Anne-T-Dote
18-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for another awesome trip Greg - had a blast and was glad not to have to do the red-less bare nut dance round the boat back at the ramp (I was a bit worried there for a bit). Foxy was on fire.

I thought for sure you would've titled the report "Who's line have I got"....

Hey Ballsie, I'm gonna have a BBQ soon mate and I lost your email address when I changed jobs last July (along with all the olives and cheese boys as well). I've got most of them back now but can you PM yours to me?

nickstock
18-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Top report as per usual Greg,

Maccamania,
The luck I have with reds mate, I would just turn up at the ramp without shorts on! Foxy smashed them as usual hey.

Thanks for the quality photos and report guys,

Nick

Nic
19-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Well done guys, some lovely reds as usual. Great photos. Have to say though, you're scraping the barrel a bit for deckies if you're phoning up Butler! ;)

Don't worry about a bit of seawater in your swag Trento, Bobby Bentley had it worse on our boat -- one moonless night the live bait tank overflowed and swamped him with fish water. He still speaks of it fondly. ;D

Pistol_P
19-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Great fish,great pics.

On ya Greg.8-)

Pete

Mattg68
19-05-2009, 10:58 AM
awesome haul there Greg (& crew), refreshing to see some pics that don't require holding the fish at full arms length to 'enhance' there size, fantastic colour as well. 2 thumbs up.

Matt

dfox
19-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Firstly let me thank Macca and Trent for putting up a brave fight in the Qld verse NSW fishing challange we had going on board. You southerner's didnt stand a chance, but you put on a brave face.
Wayne, there is some bigger and better pic's that maybe saved for some rag greg used to write for.
Nic, your name was mentioned during the onboard chatter and i now believe everything you've said about Trent, it's all true. :-*;)...
Next time you speak to Trent ask him "who has my line!"
Ballsie, how ya going mate! i see those dart sanga's made an impression on you as well, damn i miss them...
Good trip greg (fellow Qlder), just in future keep an eye on that fuel, ya wouldnt want water in it ;D ... foxy

Trent Butler
19-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Foxy and Greggo you cane toads fell for the oldest red catching trick in the book; the "who's line have I caught" works a treat every time. There are a few other stories worth telling from this trip but I will keep them up my sleeve, for now!

Thanks for a great trip!

Nic, Good to hear I wasn't the only one suffering from a rude awakening in the middle of the night! How is old Bobby Bentley going these days? Haven't caught up with him or Cam O'Reilly for a few years now.

Cheers

Trent

SWANO1
20-05-2009, 11:59 AM
well done again boys
trent i hear that foxy was handlining reds?
hope ya sack dries out.
cheers swano

Benno1
20-05-2009, 12:34 PM
top shelf...enough said...thanks for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Reefmaster
20-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Nice fish Greg ...... that spout is amazing was it heading your way?? that would def make you think of cutin N runin would not like to tangle with one of those.

BigE

Mate I was heading towards a mark the spout seemed to be very close to but found a bit of ground before hand (which i'm sure the crew were thankful for lol)so never got to much closer before it sucked back into the sky. They really have some power behind them:o

Reefmaster
20-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Great catch of fish there Greg and Co, looks like once again you nailed them,
How is the Riptide going? Dave builds a good boat and now im wishing that i hadn't sold mine
Cheers Dave

Hi Dave
The boat is going well but still have many things to do to finish her off but in in good time. Couldn't ask for a better bloke then Dave to build a boat.

Cheers
Greg

Reefmaster
20-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Out again hey......And i was on an RDO just catching bloody squire with the mrs. And was all but outfished by her. Good to see that Maca getting out there still. I bet you fellas are missing dart sandwiches about ths time of year.

I dont think they'll be getting out to much more this week at the comp. We ended up with 27 Squire, 1 pearlie and a few AJ's on the fri /sat best going only 6.8kg but still good fun out there with the mrs and her old man.

Hey Ballsie sounds like you had a good time off brissy anyway mate and plenty of fish keep you amused. Mmm those dart sandwiches with cheese hit a soft spot with everyone it seems. Never thought I would say such a thing about dart but then again those olive and cheese boys can cook.:D

Need to catch up soon.

Greg

Reefmaster
20-05-2009, 03:46 PM
couldnt stay on shore and watch hey greg ,
that fishing adiction is a hard one to resist hey
nice reds as always should of been in the comp biggest i here is only 12kg at the momement that one foxy is holding cant be far off nudging the leader board
wayne

Hey Wayne your right mate the fishing addiction is a tough one mainly when those red things keep calling me:)

Yeah looks like a 12kg fish will win the fraser comp this year. Damn it>:( We have a comp curse I reckon.

Regards,
Greg

Reefmaster
20-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Well done guys, some lovely reds as usual. Great photos. Have to say though, you're scraping the barrel a bit for deckies if you're phoning up Butler! ;)

Don't worry about a bit of seawater in your swag Trento, Bobby Bentley had it worse on our boat -- one moonless night the live bait tank overflowed and swamped him with fish water. He still speaks of it fondly. ;D

hahahahaha classic Nic;D Trento helped me out heaps when building the boat so the least I could do was take him fishing. He ended up giving us a good laugh even at his own expense.( he will tell you is was all skill but::) )

Cheers,
Greg

Spot82
22-05-2009, 03:51 PM
If you ever need a deckie I'd be more than happy to pay for the fuel :P

bondy99
22-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Reefmaster.

When is the next time you're heading out again to chase reds?

If you have an extra space send me a pm. I'll chip in towards fuel and bait also.

Peter

dfox
22-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey Wayne your right mate the fishing addiction is a tough one mainly when those red things keep calling me:)

Yeah looks like a 12kg fish will win the fraser comp this year. Damn it>:( We have a comp curse I reckon.

Regards,
Greg

I heard someone got a 14.4 kg one yesterday, but on weighing it in it was discovered they forgot to cut the pectoral fin. I guess that means disqualification from both the board and the entire comp ...

Wahoo
23-05-2009, 07:21 AM
great report and pics Greg

Daz