PDA

View Full Version : PB Trout, 3 Cobia in 5mins and a 1hr long fight!

Spot82
18-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Headed up to Hervey Bay on Wednesday night to catch up with the family and go fishing friday/saturday. Plan was to check out some new marks 30-40km NW of rooneys point, not far inside the lightship, or possibly head over the bar.

Left Friday home friday morning at 8am got to the ramp about 8.15 when dad asks if i put the sounder in, to which my reply was no I dunno where it was. Anyways put the boat in the water and he went back to get the sounder. In the meantime i started putting some marks into the GPS that i got off a trawler owner that my parents are friends with. Finally old man gets back and we head off just outside to catch livies in near perfect conditions.

Pull up plenty of livies (pike) stayed for about an hour until we had sufficient to last us for the trip. Managed a baby coral trout on the jig also! would have been perfect for an aquarium.

Decided to stop at a spot wide off Rooneys point which we have been getting some good fish at lately on the way. Arrive there at around 12pm, conditions a bit sloppy due to the SSW'er which was blowing from about half way up fraser. Pulled up plenty of fish on the sounder and started having a drift. Got some good coral bream (grass sweetlip) undersize reds, scarlet sea pearch, and on about my third livie i hook onto something quite good, get it up, big trout, quickly netted and lifted on board, me with a huge smile on my face! Nice way to break in the new loomis/tyrnos 12 combo :D Put it on the scales and it went 7.5-8kg and 850mm long a new PB for me. Stayed here for a couple of hours as we were putting some nice fish in the esky, mostly coral bream up to 4kg and losing a few good fish.

Decided then to head wide and north to a few marks, but there was nothing showing on the sounder anywhere, pulled up near four boats on a bit of ground with some good life and only managed one coral cod. Seems the bite had shut down. Then did another 100kms of travelling and 2 spots with no fish before arriving at a spot where we got good fish last trip. I landed 3 cobia in 5 mins, smallest was 15kg and other two were 22-25kg, let one of the big ones go as two cobia was more than enough. So with no reefies biting we headed south again to 4mile at roonies where there was about 5 boats, one right on the mark i wanted to fish. Anyway anchored a fair way to the north on a good show but again nothing biting. About 15mins pass when dad's line screams off, knowing dad its only a matter of minutes before he loses it :P 15mins on he is still fighting it and not gaining much ground, my guess was big cobia or a shark, he was knocked up so i had a go. Fish headed up under the boat so around the boat and under the anchor I go, always fun in the dark! another 15mins pass and I am getting knocked up but have managed to get quite a bit of line back after dad constantly giving me the "you better not lose it i wanna see what it is" lecture! Hand the rod back, fish takes off, bye bye to the 100metres of 50lb braid i just got back! :( Another 15mins pass and the rod is handed back to me, after 15mins of laying into it we finally have colour as a massive grey shape appears beside the boat, i get a few more metres and a huge shovel nose shark appears!! This thing was atleast 8foot long and would have had to have been well over 200 pound!! Got a few happy snaps and a bit of video and it took off at which time i just put my hand on the spool and busted it off!

Then moved back out to the wide spot for the night as it had glassed out, only to find nothing was biting still, stayed there till 10am then headed home. Stopped at secret spot x for about 8 good frying pan snapper and continued home in slight SSW chop until halfway back down fraser where again it glassed out.

All in all ok trip, got a reasonable feed of fish, did way to many kms exploring new ground for no result but thats fishing! Did 270-300kms and used about 260L of fuel. Next trip will be heading straight over the bar instead if the weather permits :)

Few pics attached also

Anthony

Benno1
18-05-2009, 01:53 PM
bloody good trip Anthony!!!good quality mixed bag :D...those trout are well impressive!!!...thanks for the great read and piccies :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Scott nthQld
18-05-2009, 01:54 PM
sounds like a great trip with some great fishing action. Tewll you what though, that big trout would be borderline to be kept, around 8kg is when they start to pick up cigutera, so feed a bit to the cat first.

Conditions look great, great report all round, well done

lethal098
18-05-2009, 02:09 PM
great read and looks like quality catch, cant wait to get up to 1770 in July. cheers Lee

baitable
18-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Ha.. still think we out did you on eskyable kg's!!! Good report Tony, wanna write mine?

Fishbait
18-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Beautiful conditions by the looks. Your fuel economy is excellent - gotta be happy with that. Bet your parents can't wait for you to come back and visit again now. All the best, Darren

backlash08
19-05-2009, 06:51 PM
great trout Anthony
cheers - Craig

jtpython
19-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Awesome trout and a trip to remember by the sounds of it. Great report to well written. Conditions looked like they were terrible too LOL
JT

skipalong
19-05-2009, 07:42 PM
nice trout in magic conditions well done anthony

justin

tailorboi99
19-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Great report and brilliant pictures. There's been a few BIG Shovelnose Rays being caught recently.

Thanks Tom

Spot82
22-05-2009, 03:43 PM
The pics were probly taken when the conditions were best, trust me wasn't pretty at 3am with the 20 know SW'erly blowing. You can see a bit of the lumpyness in the sunrise pics.

Now just need some good weather so can go chase some RED FISH!!

iceknight
22-05-2009, 11:40 PM
so wheres the photos of the cobies ayee???

Spot82
24-05-2009, 12:47 PM
so wheres the photos of the cobies ayee???

I get sick of catching Cobia at Rooneys, we get at least one a trip 15kg+ so i don't really bother wit pics of them anymore, unless they are horse size 30+ kg. They are in plague proportions at a few places we fish, sometimes you can't get through them to get to the reefies :(

iceknight
25-05-2009, 09:50 PM
nicccce :)