PDA

View Full Version : Damm Jighead are sharp!

Apollo
18-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Went fishing with 4yr old daughter yesterday and thought it is time she learnt how to cast. All went well and she was getting the hang of it. Stepped over to start rigging my line and you guessed it, i am suddenly wearing a jighead in the lip. Grabbed the line to prevent further damage and as I had a cutter in my hand I cut the line. Luckily the hook was only just through the end of my lip, so I pushed it through, cut off the barb and extracted it. Blood everywhere and upset 4yr old but all ok. Decided to then move to a jetty to just drop lines instead of casting.

Steve

TonyM
18-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Phew that was a close one Steve, you're a brave man! :) Although all's well that ends well!

I'm a scaredy cat, I cast for Jamie (or use the pier) although he has practised with a lure with hooks removed.

At 4 I reckon they are too easily distracted by a seagull or an interesting dried up bit of fish or whatever ;D

Cheers
Tony

BaitThrower
18-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Hope you had your tetanus shot lately ;)

ozbee
18-05-2009, 09:12 AM
look on the bright side people pay to have that , put one of those stainless lure rings on to Finnish off. ouch

Apollo
18-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks fellas. Yes I am up to date with my shots, but no to the rings. I hate face rings, pins, studs and tatts - just me, but I don't like it.

darylive
18-05-2009, 10:11 PM
LUCKY! :o

Lucky it was you and not me ;D

You can go fishing and relax or you can go fishing with the wife and kids. :-/

BUT YOU CAN'T DO BOTH! :(

trymyluck
19-05-2009, 05:54 AM
So Steve

Did you do the right thing and take a pic.;D;D The gals gotta have proof of what she has caught when she needs it. And what better deterant to the boys in a few years time then proof of where she can land a jighead.;D:o:o

Apollo
19-05-2009, 06:52 AM
So Steve

Did you do the right thing and take a pic.;D;D The gals gotta have proof of what she has caught when she needs it. And what better deterant to the boys in a few years time then proof of where she can land a jighead.;D:o:o

Good on ya mate

I had bit on at the time and was more focused at getting it out than taking happy snaps so you bastards can have more of a laugh.

She was more traumatized than anything because she hurt her daddy. She quickly got over it though as you saw.

Apollo
19-05-2009, 06:56 AM
LUCKY! :o

Lucky it was you and not me ;D

You can go fishing and relax or you can go fishing with the wife and kids. :-/

BUT YOU CAN'T DO BOTH! :(

Thanks Daryl for the support :jester:

But you are right!

Donny Boy
19-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Poor kid................musta been devasted to hurt her Dad. :oops:

Wish I'd seen this earlier.....
TML stole the thunder........

I was gunna ask ......................

Did you consider leaving the hook to rust out. ?? :-/
Did anyone take a pic. ?? :speechless:
Did she kiss you before throwing you in ?? :-*
Did you put down the Brag Board ?? :P
Did you record the weight ?? :o and finally..................wait for it...........

If Fisheries had come along.....
what's the legal size and bag limit for Daddys' ??? ::)

Coulda been anyone...............glad you're OK...............thanks for the giggle !!!

trymyluck
19-05-2009, 09:03 PM
And just think Steve, it could have been a spinner bait hanging out of your lip with Tracy tugging on it trying to get it out.:o:o:o;D;D;D;D:-X:-X:-X

jtpython
19-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I"M HEARING YA got one in my Thigh on the weekend
Plainful
JT

Cammy
20-05-2009, 12:04 AM
What a dangerous Hobby!

Cam

T-REX
22-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Next time squash the barbs on all hooks so if she gets one in her it can be easily removed without too much fuss. My daughter came very close when she was younger and I now never use a hook unless the barb is removed. Made the last one in my hand come out easily. Didn't hurt a bit. Well maybe just a little.

dogsbody
22-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Congrats to your little girl on catching her first Lipper.

Dave

nuggstar
22-05-2009, 08:47 PM
HEHE you should have taken a pic

Foxy4
22-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Gee I would have just removed the hook. Set her up with a new one and keep fishing in the same spot.. Like riding a bike or a horse. Fall off and get back into the saddle as soon as possible.
Plus a pic would have been a good one for her cause the poor lass might never catch a bigger fish then that ever again..

Poodroo
24-05-2009, 09:41 PM
What would have been worse? Lip hooked or foul hooked? ::)

Poodroo