PDA

View Full Version : mid banks saturday

bdaearth
17-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Got to the old mans place(bribie) on Saturday morning at about 4:30am to find a bit of a breeze but nothing to worry about, but the fact that the first thing he says to me is the vhf, sounder and plotter are are no go is:'( . I find out that he has turned the fridge on the night before to suck the house batteries flat>:( .A phone call later and he tells me it ok auto elecy said they will charge pretty quick once we get going if we have everything off:-/ .With duet in my mind about that off we head to get to the point of bribie with still nothing!!!! Ok thats cool we can get past this another phone call and a battery and jumper lead are dropped to us at the bongaree jetty(It was about this point we should have turned around and went home)

I have done a couple of trips to the banks from bribie with the old boy in some perfect and not so perfect conditions and was not that keen on heading up there but one of the boys on board wanted to meet a mate up there and get shown a few new spots:P so I thought mmmmmm new spots I'm in.

We had a not to bad run up there with the wind a swell going with us. We arrive to find the other boat in the middle of a washing machine but with 15 assorted reefies onboad. we pull up to get going and I find out that I am the only one on board that can rig up so 5 rods later I get a line wet>:( .First drift sees about 15 rat red throat emperor and two parrot not bad ones but nothing to get excited about. then the boat we had come all the way to fish with pisses off and I think great. We go to pull the sea anchors in to find the shackle has undone one sea anchors gone>:( off we go to check a few of our marks with not much on them:'( so we head to a mark that was left in the plotter from previous owner in about 75m and it looked the part so we anchors up on it but couldn't get the fish to bit(except the underside rte which would not stop) I finally get a legal rte 39cm::) .I turn to see the anchors retrieval ball floating away and to old boy saying I must not have put that on right:( I then spend the best part of a hour pulling it by hand:o and then chasing down the ball!!!

The call is made to start to head back toward home and check some marks on the way. Belted back into the swell and wind lucky to get 15 knots.Had to come in close and got to caloundra before it go any good and started to head toward hutchies and was able to sit on 24 knots all the way there. Fished around there for about 2 hours to get nothing not even a bite:'( .We get ready to pull anchors to find it is stuck>:( the old boy kicks me out from behind the wheel and snaps the anchors rope doing a really scary run to try and pull it and some how I get the blame:o

We then headed for home in glassed out condition at 38 knots!!!!:D for the total of three fish for about 10 hours !!!

If you are reading this thinking you poor bastard and have a few marks closer to bribie feel free to pm me :-X as all of our marks are at wide cal and higher as all the boys we know fish north.

Angla
17-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I think a lot of fishers had a similar day to you with misdemeanors happening throughout the trip. Mine was also testing on Friday/saturday.

Why can't other fishermen tie knotts. It is quite simple after all.

Better luck next time with the fish and the company.

Cheers
Chris

TimiBoy
18-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Bad luck Mate. Similar story for me on Friday, but we didn't take any fish home...

Cheers,

Tim

backlash08
18-05-2009, 04:27 AM
some days are just like that

better luck next time

FNQCairns
18-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Bugger! you do deserve a couple of helpfull marks after all that running around.

The big question is -did the battery charge by the time you hit the ramp?

cheers fnq

death_ship
18-05-2009, 05:57 AM
you need to pick better deckies! No mishaps for me but no fish, bloody quiet out there.

lethal098
18-05-2009, 09:37 AM
yeah about the same for us on sat night, no fish, lost 80m rope and mooloolaba pick, lots on the sounder but thats it. you are not the only one, we just need to water temp to drop a few degrees and then it might change. cheers Lee

bdaearth
18-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Bugger! you do deserve a couple of helpfull marks after all that running around.

The big question is -did the battery charge by the time you hit the ramp?

cheers fnq

Mate by time we got back to the pontoon all I wanted to do was get home so I didn't check::)

Dean1
18-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Gee Im glad I stayed at home painting the missus's house!! Your old man just cant do it without me! ;D That new big boat hasnt brought much luck with it unfortunatly. Mate trust me you only need one balltearer of a trip to make up for all the bad ones! Another 2-3 weeks should help. Come with me next time and have a break from the deckying. Your old man can stay at home ;D Maybe we should spend our next few weekends cutting up that lead cable or maybe for a month or so :o Cheers mate talk soon..

bdaearth
19-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Gee Im glad I stayed at home painting the missus's house!! Your old man just cant do it without me! ;D That new big boat hasnt brought much luck with it unfortunatly. Mate trust me you only need one balltearer of a trip to make up for all the bad ones! Another 2-3 weeks should help. Come with me next time and have a break from the deckying. Your old man can stay at home ;D Maybe we should spend our next few weekends cutting up that lead cable or maybe for a month or so :o Cheers mate talk soon..

Mate it was still better than painting!!!!! oh and that was one thing I forgot to mention, we run out of sinkers:-/

Dean1
21-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Mate it was still better than painting!!!!! oh and that was one thing I forgot to mention, we run out of sinkers:-/ Umm I have a bit of lead lying around somewhere I just cant remember where I put it :-/ Oh thats right its under that bridge I built to get over it to get to my clothesline!! ;D

nezevic99
22-05-2009, 08:23 AM
We had a trying day at deep tempest with the wind and current doing funny things to us and creating constant tangles but nothing compared to that by the sounds of it. At least we got a feed. 2 snappery squire and 3 pearl perch (one about 6lb). It sounded like most people were doing it tough on the radio.