PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Snapps !

rakinray
17-05-2009, 05:22 PM
G/Day all just a short report on our trip today, crossed the bar around 6.00am,picked up some livies, and tried to get a feed. Very sloppy conditions and alot of current down deep, managed some squirey snapps and one better fish (see pic). Could only manage to get Snapper with no other species to talk of. First trip of the season outside Moreton so got to be happy with a feed. I managed to drop some nice fish today but you get that !>:( Lots of Snapper shows on the sounder but had trouble getting at them as they were 20mts from the bottom and we couldnt get a floater near them in the strong current. Long trip home smashing our way back into the 20+ knts of Southerly. Looking forward to the next trip already.

CHEERS RAY. Pic of Dan and his new PB.

wags on the water
17-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice work guys. Hopefully it'll be a good snapper season this year.

Mac1952
17-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Ray,

Please help me out!!! You mention Snapper shows on the sounder. How do you recognize what you see as Snapper, and not something else?

Angla
17-05-2009, 07:34 PM
managed to drop some nice fish today but you get that !>:( Lots of Snapper shows on the sounder but had trouble getting at them as they were 20mts from the bottom and we couldnt get a floater near them in the strong current.

You could try a nuclear chicken on a heavy jighead and cast it up current so that it swings down to the target zone.

The one you did get is a good specimen.

Cheers
Chris

Searaider 2
17-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Onya Ray ,
At least you got the 1 good one for the first trip of the season .
Look forward to seeing the future Trip reports . complete with Photos of huge Nobbies :o

backlash08
17-05-2009, 07:42 PM
getting quality snapper this year has been a rare event so well done
cheers - Craig

rakinray
17-05-2009, 07:57 PM
G/Day Mac there is no set rule with the different shows being this or that, we just know that the types of shows that we seen today have normally been Snapper. The other thing that gave them up was that they were between 10 and 15mts off the bottom, and once we got our first Squire while feeding line out (fast current) it just told me that they were the fish we could see on the Sounder. Not much to it just the same thing as you have seen before when catching that species. Hope that helps mate.

CHEERS RAY. P.S Dans rig only runs a pair of standard Eagle units (nothing fancy). See For Sale Section. ;)

rakinray
17-05-2009, 08:09 PM
G/Day Chris took the plastics and some jig heads, but the heaviest we had was one ounce and i was having trouble with the 16ounce sinker finding the bottom for more than 30 seconds! It was a very strange current that was hardly moving at the surface and racing down deep. Anyone else had this ? I hope to nail a big Snapper on the Rubbers this year ;D

CHEERS RAY.

Horse
18-05-2009, 06:33 AM
That variation in current speed is a pain. I have no idea how to fish it effectivly other than drifting and freespooling as you floatline. I have even had it pretty bad in the eastern Bay where 3/4oz cant hit bottom in 60'.
Thats a good bag to start the season so hopefully it will be a good one

Cheers

Neil

Sandman
18-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Nice fish Dan, was happy to hear from Ray yesterday re: the conditions i didnt feel so depressed about not going :)

preso
18-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Nice work Ray. Good to see you got a couple, even with the strong current.
I'll have to get out with you again this season:) .

Cheers John.

Goldfinch
18-05-2009, 12:09 PM
I had the same issue with the current last Thursday. On Wed night it was managable and we bagged out but then Thurs morning it was raging and unfishable. Got busted off by some big monsters !!!

Vindicator
18-05-2009, 12:49 PM
With all that ammoniun nitrate getting around out there off Moreton those snaps should be growing into horses.:P
Nice fish well done.

Cheers
Kezza

TimiBoy
18-05-2009, 01:12 PM
That's a nice fish for a bad day! You're right about that deep current - we were going one way on the 'chute, and the tackle was going another...

Cheers,

Tim

rakinray
18-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas, about the current Neil i only ever drift when im in the deep, had the chute out and we barely moved from the area, but as you dropped down the line just took off away from the boat, even with a 16 and an 8 ounce sinker attatched :'( The trick to it was to use the paternoster rig like a floater, let it come off the bottom and then feed back down when you were near the strike zone ! Lots of luck involved trying to get your bait at the right depth at the right place, while it was heading away from the boat.::). Your welcome to tag along anytime John just let me know when your keen. Sodium Nitrate what Sodium Nitrate, heard one of our enviromental friends saying it had all dispersed and it was not a problem !>:( All fish were caught on fresh Mullet fillet and had a few unstopables take a livie or two.

CHEERS RAY.