PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Friday Gold Coast

tenzing
16-05-2009, 07:55 PM
With predictions of light winds and no swell I knocked off early and headed down the Goldie with a mate.
Through the seaway about 3pm and headed out to about 70m. Was like a mill pond. never seen it like that before. Picked up a few snappery squire. they were quite prolific so we set a 40 cm min so as not to catch a bag of 35's. We didnt bag out obviously .Current was non existent, our drift of a few hundred meters taking 20 to 30 mins.
The bite shut down about 6.30 so we headed off to our favourie trag spot, where we both bagged out in under an hour. Most 40cm odd but one much larger.
Spent the night on palm beach reef ( alone ) but I was more intent on not freezing to death on the cockpit floor while the guest had the cabin. (too close with another guy for me).
Up before dawn and off about 30km east. Got there in half hour- gotta love those kind of days. The pearlies were hungry but barely legal at best. Twice pulled up 2 pearlies of 35.00 cm on the 2 hook paternoster , but worried about esky shrinkage, and already lots of protein in there. Managed one slightly better pearly for the box,somewhere along the line picked up a couple of tuskies and a bonito as well.
Trolled all the way home.(a little optimistic but we were going that way anyhow). No result. Wind had got up by noon so called it quits.
Lots of fun , plenty of fish and great weather.
Camera was at home so just a shot of the feed.
Brendan

rosco1974
16-05-2009, 08:20 PM
mate great feed there....did you get the trag around the 24's...i got a few there the other week..
cheers rosco

tenzing
16-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reply mate, Yes thats where they were.
Brendan

jarhead
16-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Nice feed of trag there Brendan, shame the pearlies were'nt a little larger.

Wal

Angla
16-05-2009, 10:48 PM
You gathered a nice little feed for you and your buddy.

The wind got up much earlier on us at Stradbroke. Seemed to be pushing closer to 20 knotts by 9.00am and the current was about 2.7 knotts drifting freely.

Will think about a post of my own, maybe

Cheers
Chris

geeb
17-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Excellent report and good you caught some morning fish to thaw you out - it makes you appreciate how magical Australia is....and how close this type of fishing is to us........then it is windy, raining and miserable and..well.......well...you still know there will be days like the one you had....good on you...cheers.....Geeb

unka
17-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Geeb you are so right we are veery lucky to have such a variety of fishing in south east queensland

and yeah great catch ,,, congrats ....:P i never seem to have such luck fishing offshore on the gold coast

cheers Gorack