PDA

View Full Version : Timi's Charters: 14/15 May

TimiBoy
16-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Mumsy and I headed out Thursday morning armed with reams of good advice - go wide, use jigs & plastics.

I admit to having a couple of weaknesses:
1. I like advice, and because I'm still such a n00b, it tends to tunnel my vision, and
2. The further offshore, the better. The phone should ring less (but it still does - am I going far enough???)

So, as per bleeding usual, that Westerly turned my Thursday to sh!t. I tried a lot of ground, some old, some new, 35's, 42's, 37's Deep Tempest, and by 1 pm had a 45 cm Tuskie in the box - on MULLET, from the 37's. I'd had a hook in my hand, hooked up the 'chute, lost a goodly amount of tackle including a favorite jig I was given, and was generally P!SSED OFF.

So, as the wind died, I thought I'd head back to the 42's and try a bit of jigging again. As soon as I got there I found the drift hadn't changed much, as the breeze was still there, but not as strong. I jigged anyway, and to my surprise I picked up a couple of Kingies fairly quickly.

Kingie 2 was funny. He was a good size, and so I said to Mumsy - "can you please pull up the 'chute?" She starts slowly dragging it in, and I said something along the lines of "HURRY THE F%^K UP!" which drew the appropriate response. Having been reminded of my shortcomings, which included a threat to chuck it all back out, she finally had the 'chute in the boat. "Please my Darling, could you find it in your heart to get the net?" Bingo, I found her measure, and she happily got the net in the water. I brought the fish to the net, she lifted, TOO HEAVY! I tried one handed to help, and her finger somehow got wedged between the handle and the gunwhale, and she high tailed to the other side of the boat sucking her finger, leaving me to get the fish in... And then I had the temerity to splurk her with blood, and man, will I EVER hear the end of that???;D;D;D

Pulled a little Mac Tuna on the jig, too, and in hindsight should have chucked a hook in his gob and sent him back as a livey, but hindsight is wonderful, huh? He'll be bait on another trip, what a waste.

I could have caught a couple more on the jigs, but I didn't want to clean them, and my shoulder was bad, so I chucked a plastic down there on the S-10. NOTE TO SELF: 30lb leader is NOT ENOUGH!!! 2 * 1.5oz jigheads and attendant fluoro white 7" jerk shads were eaten by a couple of very hard running something-or-others on the bottom. Very much fun, but absolutely no hope at all - whatsoever - of landing said monsters! OK, on 30 lb they were probably undersize Pearlies, but let me feed the dream, OK???

Day 2: Early start, Cheech needed to be back at the ramp by 2, so Wags and I met him at the ramp at 5 am. Smooth launch, nice trip out, no bar crossing to speak of, then wind. The day was sh!t, it had no redeeming features, except for the company, which is always good. We couldn't buy a bite, except Cheech who caught 2 33cm Pearlies, which of course went back. We did spend too much time out wide, my tunnel vision again, I think.

Back at the ramp Rhys (Revs57) called us, and he met Wags and I at home (Cheech had taken off) with burgers. What a man! Then Wags and Rhys took off, and I was left bruised, and shaken. Next time I go out I think someone else can skipper!

When I finally sat down, little Mitzi wanted a cuddle, and everything was OK!!!

Cheers,

Tim

SummerTrance
16-05-2009, 10:34 AM
With the good weather this week, I knew a Timi's Charters report wasnt far away. Unlucky you didnt get he results you were after. Nice Kingy though!

reel scream
16-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Great read Timi. Hang in there mate- winter is upon us so all will be good. That was a fair effort of a burp by Mumsy when i was talking to you on the radio:o :o .

Cheers
Scott

TimiBoy
16-05-2009, 11:12 AM
That was a fair effort of a burp by Mumsy when i was talking to you on the radio:o :o .

Cheers
Scott

Yeah Mate she's a grub. She'd been guzzling lemonade. Terrible deckie that girl. Shockingly incompetent. Love taking her out though, she always enjoys it!

Cheers,

Tim

samson
16-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Good read mate just be careful next time the small ones an amberjack and have a different size limit to kingy's but i'm sure it scraped it anyway.

Cheers samson

thelump
16-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank god for little white dogs. How did the kingy cook up? We caught a couple a fortnight or so back and they were like eating fish flavoured fairy floss. :-/ I normally rate them quite good but this sort of turned me off them. Would be good to hear another opinion.

Cheers Jason

skipalong
16-05-2009, 06:34 PM
great fishing timi nice fish

justin

TimiBoy
16-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Thank god for little white dogs. How did the kingy cook up? We caught a couple a fortnight or so back and they were like eating fish flavoured fairy floss. :-/ I normally rate them quite good but this sort of turned me off them. Would be good to hear another opinion.

Cheers Jason

Haven't eaten any yet, but had some a week ago and it was lovely.

Samson you sure on the Ambo bit? It's coloured just like a Kingy, and really just looked just a bit rotund...

Happy to be advised, though. Do they really look that similar?

Cheers,

Tim

Angla
16-05-2009, 10:59 PM
They do look that close. The Kingies have a slightly different expression with a flatter nose bridge I think but the colouring is a giveaway. No yellow tail and a little purple/bronze on the top sides.

Your report was a good read and thanks for sharing the day.

I cannot report on my day as the effing word would be to much for some.

Cheers
Chris

PS. This is my best AJ and tasted very poorly

backlash08
17-05-2009, 05:40 AM
thanks for the read Tim, tough lately work hey
cheers - Craig

TimiBoy
17-05-2009, 06:32 AM
I don't know why I had it running around in my head that they looked more like a samson fish. Misconception shot down... Now I see the difference.

I CAUGHT MY FIRST AJ!!!!

Trouble is I didn't measure him - I'm pretty sure he went 75. Damn well hope so - I know better for next time...

Cheers,

Tim

Mac1952
17-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Now there's a charter boat to join! Sound like a lot if intersting fun!

Way to go Tim----8-)

(I guess you and I are better at feeding the dogs anyway)

Stuart
17-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Timiboy

The middle fish is an Ambo, Good report and always a laugh at that.

Stu

f.t.r.
17-05-2009, 10:40 AM
well done on your first aj tim

the fish were very hard to come by on friday, we started in close and then ended up out where you were for a tally of one squire and one nice pearlie.

mates on the other boat managed one 5-6kg snapper first drop then nothing

the only plus for the day was the non existance of the bar

matty

wags on the water
17-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Maybe next time Tim you won't be eating bananas for brekky before the trip...........

I see you didn't take your glasses on Thursday mate. That second fish looks nothing like a kingy..::) ::) ::) More lessons in the classroom for you.

btw - Canungra was bloody cold, although the free wine tasting made up for that.

PinHead
17-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Capt Timi and first mate Tangles..kinda reminds me of the Skipper and Gilligan.

TimiBoy
17-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Capt Timi and first mate Tangles..kinda reminds me of the Skipper and Gilligan.

You callin' me fat? I can see Wags as Gilligan, but me as the Skipper? You rude, rude fellow! And I AIN'T sharing Ginger...

;D;D;D

Tim

Lucky_Phill
17-05-2009, 08:00 PM
mmmm Timi... what can I say.

Just as well ya writes a good story ;)

I'll drop my little report via pm. ( changed mind , report up )

:-X :-X :-X ;D

Hint.............. red coloured fish :P

Phill

tropicrows
18-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Tim, always a good read. I enjoyed my junket to Melb, pity about the CROWS !!! it's a bitter pill to swallow being a crows support myself.