PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 3+2 warranty question

Rock Crab
15-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Howdy all,
Just a question to those that have purchased new Mercury motors recently about the 3 years + 2 years warranty.

Do I have to have my motor serviced by an actual Mercury dealership or is it ok for an authorised marine mechanic, using genuine Merc parts, to service my motor, if I want to keep the Mercury warranty valid ?

The reason I ask is because I have a trusted authorised marine mechanic (non dealership) that charges a very reasonable price compared to that of Mercury dealers.

My 115hp Merc 4 stroke is almost due for its 20 hour service and I called a few Merc dealers for a price. The cheapest was $380 + parts, the dearest was $450 + parts ! :x This is nothing but daylight robbery for basically nothing other than an oil change ! :x How they get away with it is beyond me.

My mechanic I have used in the past will charge just over $200 + parts

Cheers

Jabba_
16-05-2009, 05:29 AM
You must use a Merc authorized mechanic (dealership)

megafish71
16-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Jabba is correct, and you must use genuine Merc parts. Should have been explained by your Merc dealer when purchasing the outboard.

Ron

FNQCairns
16-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Like all things transport these days, due to the sophistication and associated complexity they have you well and truly over a barrel, fright is an easy earner.

cheers fnq

BM
16-05-2009, 08:46 AM
You need to think about this another way.

2 extra yrs warranty. 2 services in that time. $250 difference per service, so for an additional 2 yrs warranty you are paying $500 effectively.

Still an excellent deal wouldn't you say? I can think of many parts on that engine that exceed $500 for part only.

cheers

Rock Crab
16-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Cheers for the feedback guys.

I thought I would need it serviced by a Merc mechanic and as much as I don't agree that they should charge almost double the fact is that if I want to keep my 5 year warranty valid then I will need to get it serviced by a Merc mechanic !

Cheers