PDA

View Full Version : On-The-Chew Charters - GT Mayhem

ON-THE-CHEW
15-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Had a rdo today and have been watching the weather all week and for once it actually stayed good and did not go to shit. Only problem I had to work duty last night and did not finish until ten. Got all my gear ready thursday morning so I was ready to go first thing friday.

Actually ended up being a bit of a sleep in and did not leave cleveland boat ramp until 6.30am. Fellow ausfish member Lanks and a mate Matt came along for the trip. The plan for the day was to hit all of the shallow reefs around straddie with plastics, poppers and light jig sticks.

Got to the bar and it was flat so knew we could have a good day on our hands. Got a few small fish around the places, then Lanks missed a good strike from a GT and not much longer, was stumbeling all around the boat hooked onto another. It is funny watching a guy that weighs 60kg, fighting a 30kg fish using 15kg of drag one wrong step and it all ends in disaster and sorry to say but it did. 0-2 down on the GTs but in all fairness to Lanks the first one was never really hooked .

We decided to go try the 35's for a jig, lots of bait on the sounder but all we could pick up where small bonnies, Matt got dusted up by something decent and that was about it. Decided to head back to the shallows, couple of drifts in Matt missed a really good snapper and I hooked a new pb cod (pictured below).

We thought we would give poppering one more go, I am very glad we did. First drift in Lanks gets four hits from a GT with one cast my line is 10 metres from his not a touch. Finally on the fourth hit he hooks up, so I am winding my popper in as fast as I can so I can drive and holy shit I am on as well double hook up on GTs, you would not believe it. We managed to both drop our fish. GT's 4-0, quickly we got another cast out, and I am on and a solid hook up, after a couple of minutes of realising that I looked just a stupid as Lanks stumbling around the boat trying not to go over board, but unlike the 4 attempts earlier this one was landed.

My pb GT 25kg of muscle, a few photos and high fives and he was back in the water to terrorise us next time. Next drift an even more amazing strike on my popper a shark that would have been nearing 100k kg almost clearing the water and absolutely hammering my popper. Only problem he did not bite us off, and after about ten minutes of getting screwed over we could not be bothered going any longer on a fight with a fish that was in for the long haul.

All in all a memorable day, I got two new pbs and to have a double hook up on GTS was an amazing sight to see and will be hard to top.

Andrew

PlasticFantastic
15-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice work mate, good to see the captain getting the fish for a change. Where's the Yellowfin though? and I should've saved that RDO dammit.

PlasticFantastic

backlash08
16-05-2009, 05:12 AM
great report and pics
thanks for that

cheers - Craig

geeb
16-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Excellent read - well deserved catch/release.....cheers.....Geeb

oddbudman
16-05-2009, 12:50 PM
top session, top fish

Pistol_P
16-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Andrew,

Awesome fish mate.....GT's on your doorstep.....how good is that....!!!!!

Pete

twist
16-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I think I saw you out there. I had no GT but the yellow fin hit me. Two at once on a troll between destinations. Great work on the GT's and a top cod.

Schuey
16-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Good report there Andrew and a top effort releasing the big fella. Good fishing karma mate.

Schuey

RAT-KING
16-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Well done Andrew thats some awesome fishing!!!!

How do u book a session on, on-the-chew charters?;) ;D ;D
Cheers Simon

skipalong
16-05-2009, 06:40 PM
top fishing mate and a great gt top day on the water

cheers justin

Pistol_P
16-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Andrew,

Out of curiosity did you weigh that fish...?.....or is the 25kg an estimate.

Just trying to judge some of my ones...?......What popper you get em on..?

Pete

ON-THE-CHEW
16-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Pete,
It was just and estimate, we got the scales up to 20kg, but we still did not have him totally off the deck.
The popper was a nomad cubera, Lanks was using a nomad skipjack.

We are on a bit of a role that is three in almost as many trips, just spread out due to shit weather.

Andrew

Pistol_P
16-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Pete,
It was just and estimate, we got the scales up to 20kg, but we still did not have him totally off the deck.
The popper was a nomad cubera, Lanks was using a nomad skipjack.

We are on a bit of a role that is three in almost as many trips, just spread out due to shit weather.

Andrew

Yeah thats great going mate.

Those Jai Raptors are an awesome popper.....Cheap too.
I think Duncan may have sold out though...:-/

Pete

nickstock
18-05-2009, 08:49 AM
What a great report Andrew! Some serious GT's in there mate. Who needs to visit Nomad when you are cathing fish like that on your doorstep?

Cheers mate,

Nick

ON-THE-CHEW
18-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Twist,
Yah we saw you guys out there, didn't realise you where from Ausfish otherwise would have said Gday.
Nick,
Nomad, I have been to Marion reef with them, $5000 but no GTS, $60 worth of boat fuel ($20 only paid thirds) and got one not far from home :)

Andrew