PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast 15/05

two dogs
15-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Howdy all,

i fished a mark in about 27 fathoms out from the seaway with my dad and his dad in perfect conditions. Dropped the pick on a show and didnt move until the bite (and us) slowed down 5 1/2 hours later at around 1 pm.

got our bag of trag (good size), 10 pan sized snapper, couple of big maori cod, couple of hussar, a moses perch, and a few large tailor were kept.

the tailor and trag were quite prolific, biting consistently through out the day. besides 1 thumper snapper caught on a chook and one throwback caught first thing, the snapper did not bite until the tide had started to run out late in the morning.

two of the largest mac tuna i have seen were also landed on liveys, and during the snapper bite that water was alive with mac tuna a few metres under the boat, we also got buzzed by a large tiger during this time.

there was very little current and i found the best bait to be a pillie cut in half.

finally, i was also involved in a massive stuggle for over 45min with something that took a bait on the bottom on my plastic outfit, there was a lot of weight and very powerful runs that had me close to spooled on 4-5 occassions, it didnt feel like a tuna, i was thinking cobia but wasnt sure if they would still be around? it stayed deep for the duration of the fight. any thoughts on what the beastie could have been? i think i broke up at my leader knot :'(

Schuey
15-05-2009, 11:08 AM
g'day twodog, your beastie certainly sounds like a cobe. good to hear you got a few snaps aswell, lets hope its a good season and some decent weather with it too.

schuey

Heath
15-05-2009, 02:35 PM
mate, nows the time for monster cobes along the Goldy.

Snap Dog
15-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Sound's like a good day on the water. I reckon you got done up by a large amberjack' they are one of the hardest fighting fish in the ocean.

matt__hill
15-05-2009, 04:18 PM
cobes generally come to the top after a bit of a fight down low probably that tiger u seen or another shark

two dogs
16-05-2009, 12:35 PM
yeah i was thinking shark too but i thought it would have gone through the leader a lot quicker than that, and it broke up high rather than being bitten through or rubbed off

RAT-KING
16-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Well Done

Awsome session!

Cheers Simon

Horse
16-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Any big Cobe, Jew or Cod can give you a lot of grief

Sounds like a great day with 3 generations out to enjoy it