PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Harbour The Boat Has Been Blooded

russ81
14-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Hows it going guys

As many of you are aware I picked up the new boat about 2 weeks ago. With my first few trips poking around east arm for no reward.

With an early knock off today one of the guys from work and I decided to wet a line. we put in at the navy base at 1300 and headed about 300m to the rock walls, I put in the electric and crept up and down flicking soft plastics, after about 20mins we noticed queenies smashing bait on the surface so we pushed up on the electric and dropped a squidgy wriggler over a school, as the lure dropped my line started peeling of at an alarming rate from my tierra 2500 spooled with 20lb braid, with the tip of my 2-4kg dropshot bent in half i backed off the drag and slowly started fighting to get line back, after about 20mins there was colour and after a great net job from my mate my PB was in the boat she measured in at 102cm.

During the fight a number of boats moved in to witness the action some cheering me on and taking photos and others dropping anchor and trying to get onto some themselves.

once the high fives had stopped we did a few more drifts and then moved on to explore some new territory.

Benno1
14-05-2009, 06:59 PM
cracker of a queenie!!!...congrats on the PB!!!...did you guys pin anything else that day???
thanks for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

russ81
14-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey Mrs Benno
Hows it going unfortunately that was all we got in the boat the young fella (18 yr old) I had with me hooked up to what we believed to be another monster queenie but was busted off the poor fella had poor knots no leader and was way to eager to get the fish in the boat and was busted off, I prob spent the next 1/2 hr just floating around showing him how to tie rigs and how to work .I dont know who was more excited when the fish was boated me or him you couldn't have wiped the smile off his face (or mine for that matter) if you tried.

Russ

Tailortaker
14-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Well done Russ, Congratulations mate, I will be up there in september So might try to catch up for either a fish or beer.
Cheers grant

russ81
14-05-2009, 07:38 PM
sounds great mate definitely keen for both

whatscracken
14-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Thats a great fish on the light gear mate, heaps of fun!

Shanoss
17-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Mate, if its Queenys you are after, there is a small beach and creek mouth just back from the Mandorah Jetty. Troll hardbodys up and down past the small wreck on the last 2 1/2 hours of the flooding tide. We used to clean up over there. Never really seen anyone else fish it either.

russ81
17-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Its been a cracker week the most i travelled from the boat ramp was 800m and we consistently were pulling up queenies and rock cod the largest queenie went 104 and the smallest 101 the cod were all undersize with nothing going over 30cm

Russ

bayfisher
18-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Good to see you finally back on the water catching a few.

Cheers Chris