PDA

View Full Version : Who on here is in Darwin ??

Donny Boy
14-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Info from the local Darwin Ausfishers required !!!!! ;D

Possibly gunna take an extended trip North to Darwin in 3-4 weeks.
Got a coupla sons up there, so digs are no problem, but I'll tow the boat up so's I can re-aquaint myself with Darwin Fishing, and those magnificent Golden Snapper. ( 1 charter trip.... 2 years ago )

That'll be nice...................towing a Boat 4000 Km......:o

So......apart from which is a good ramp.......... :-/

...............is the Harbour as good a spot as any to start with ??? :-/

Or go East Point or the reefs ??? Any GPS marks to share ??? :-/

Any input gratefully received.......any catches gratefully digested, and cleansing ales gladly shared.

::)::)

Salad Fingers
14-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Depends where your staying as to what ramp will suit you..
East Arm ramp has a pontoon but is very effected by the SE trade winds at this time of year.
Dinah beach is by far the best boat ramp in Darwin central.

This time of year can be tough depending on what you want to do, it's just starting to get cold (ie, 19deg.C overnight). So the barra are shutting down a little for the next month or so.
Golden snapper also move out to deeper water this time of year, but can still be found in the harbour. Some very good mackeral starting to get caught though.

I have some marks for some reefy patches outside east point that i've got some good cod/trout and mixed reefies on lately, i'll try and remember to get the spot out of my GPS this weekend for ya.

Other than that any reefy area in Darwin is worth putting a bit of squid down on.
Never know what is gonna come through. I'd strongly advocate doing some high speed spinning over the Lee point artificial reefs, or soaking a pilchard mid water.

Donny Boy
16-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks SF,

Lotta good sounding options there.
Gotta beat the piss out of a 30cm bream in the Broadwater down here.

Apparently, the boys live round Stuart Park & The Marina off Tipperary st.
Both only a coupla minutes walk from each other & very close to the Dinah Beach Ramp, so I'm told, so that's a good start.

Close to the Briny............beauty.............;D::)

#1 son says we can get to the ramp in 1 minute, & thats if we unhitch the trailer......and walk it there. Sounds bloody good to me.

If it all falls into place I'll take you up on those Marks...and maybe even ply you with an ale.

thelump
17-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Not a local as you well know but did spend a few weeks up there in July/August 04. We stayed at Lee Point and had agreat time catching Macks and LOTS of Longtails. Condition are great out there at that time of year as the trade winds are offshore and the fish hold in close to shore.Got a lot of muddies in Buffalo ck too. This is the ramp we used. Very shallow and hard to navigate but worth it.

Why Not
17-05-2009, 06:57 PM
If you can go to Dundee, about 2 hours Sth West of Darwin. The road out there can be a bit rough, but its worth it. The fishing is very good. Look for a big low in the Great Australian Bight. This normally settles the weather pattern in Darwin.

Heading into the Harbour can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Charles Point can produce as too Fenton Patches and a few artificle reefs not far from Six Mile also can produce.

Why Not