PDA

View Full Version : Safe to tow with engine 'down'?

Damned67
13-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Another 'beginner' question from the guy with a new boat.....
A recent thread from a guy who recently busted his engine mounting bracket towing without a support got me thinking..... Is it safe to tow my rig with the engine in the 'down' position? Just measured it, and it's got 10.5" of clearance between the skeg and the ground.

If not, I'll grab a support on the way home tomorrow night, but that then begs my next question.... Tow with the engine 'up' or in the 'shallow running' position?

Sorry for these simple questions, just want to make sure I get everything right.

Cheers!

plaztix
13-05-2009, 10:01 PM
:o Definitely not down. Spend the 30 bucks on a bracket and save your transom (and possibly the skeg) some hell.

You'd be surprised how soon that 10.5" of clearance turns into ssssssssccccccccccrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaape.:-[

Damned67
13-05-2009, 10:05 PM
You're right, I was thinking that the car in my avatar only has about 10.5" of clearance, but yeah, the exhaust may scrape every now and then.... ;D

So, with the support... Tow in the 'completely up' position or the mid way/shallow position?

Scott nthQld
13-05-2009, 10:06 PM
engine always completely up without a question.

As for a bracket, we've been using a short length of 70X35 for years and never had a problem, even towed the boat from Wollongong to Townsville when we moved here the same way. Just lift the motor right up, slide the timber between to pivot point and the ram and trim back down until the timber is tight. For an extra precaution, use a strap from one corner on the trailer, 'choke' the leg and back down to the other corner and pull up tight, this will stop the engine bouncing if you happen to have a busted ram.

I use this method, my dad does and my grandfather, between us there's about 80-90 years of boating and towing experience.

Chamelion
13-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Yep, I dragged my skeg down my driveway because I had the engine down and forgot to put the support in place... For $30~ it's a rather simple choice.

Damned67
13-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks all!!!
I'll grab one on the way home tomorrow... along with a fire extinguisher.

Scott, the 4x2 won't work so well for me as it's just a 30hp Merc with no power tilt... otherwise a great idea.

Cheers!

BaitThrower
14-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I have a 30hp Yammie 2 stroke and usually just put the pin in the highest angle slot, then lower the shallow running bracket, attach leg support then lift this an inch or so higher. This gives about 50cm of ground clearance and never had a problem... With the motor all the way up, the leg support isnt long enough to work (on my trailer setup anyway) so its only about half way raised for me. Does the job, but yeah definitely get a support bracket for non-tilt/trim outboards.

White Pointer
15-05-2009, 12:28 AM
G'day,

You can't leave it up on the hydraulics or a trim pin and you can't leave it down flogging the transom.

The rods from the bottom of the leg to the trailer are pretty dodgy too. I see lots of them on the Hornibrook bridge (as well as winch handles!)

The best idea is to raise the motor as high as possible and put a really secure wedge (1/2 to 3/4 thick hardwood sheet will do it up to about 90HP; a steel or aluminium plate for heavier) between the motor lift bracket and the motor mounting bracket on the transom. If you have hydraulics drive the T&T down to wedge the bracket firmly. If you have manual tilt lower the motor onto the wedge then use a rope and truckies hitch to tie it down to the boat - not the trailer.

Regards,

White Pointer

ozbee
15-05-2009, 05:26 PM
the thrust on the hydraulics a motor puts on when running is a million times more than any road bouncing can achieve which is why most engine manufactures don't bother with supports with larger engines

Mister
15-05-2009, 07:50 PM
the thrust on the hydraulics a motor puts on when running is a million times more than any road bouncing can achieve which is why most engine manufactures don't bother with supports with larger engines

Top class comment :D actually the only worthy comment so far.

The higher an outboard is tilted or supported above the vertical the more stress there is on the transom. Wonder why people don't understand this simple principle?