PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher in tinny???

Damned67
12-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi All,
Had one of those moments when I realised I don't have a fire extinguisher on board.
Where/how is everyone mounting their fire extinguishers on their tinnies?
Cheers!

dreemon
12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi , I have mine just behind the front thwart seat, seeing that the fuel, battery and engine all sit at the rear thats where a fire would start, so opposite end seemed right, plus I'm a smoker so more of a reason to carry one on board, cheers

Damned67
13-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Dreemon,
That's probably where I'd consider putting it if I has those seats.
Does anyone see any major issue in mounting it 'inside' the storage space under the casting deck? Obviously, it could mean a few extra precious seconds, but it's also where the PFDs and flares are stored.... And if there was a fire, there's a good chance I'd be wanting to get my hands on a PFD before the fire extinguisher in case the decision was made to jump ship....
Cheers!

Sorry, meant to attach pic of casting deck.... Yellow X's represent where it would be mounted on the inside of the compartment.

the gecko
14-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Things tend to attract more moister under deck, and rust quicker. My new battery recharge pack was wet and rusty after 6 mths, and it was wrapped in plastic. The nozzle fittings might be stuffed by the time you need to use it.

I keep mine in the rod holders above deck, just under the gunnels. Been there 2 yrs, and no rust. yes, keep it at the opposite end to the fuel tank.

ANdrew

Scott nthQld
14-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I see you have pedestal seats, have you thought about attaching it to one of them? It'll be out of the way, and very close at hand if you need it.

Damned67
14-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Scott, that is an awesome idea. It should fit. I'll let you know.
;D

Blaster Bretty
14-05-2009, 06:18 PM
yeah mate go with scottie's idea, I house mine right on the back of the rear seat in my boat , I use tiller steer so it is right under me and battery's + fuel all up front, No good housing it right next to the fuel or battery because that is where the fire is most likely to start!

Bretty

Damned67
14-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Just got home with extinguisher in hand. It just fits on the pedestal. Only issue is the top of the extinguisher will prevent 360 degrees of movement of the seat. I'll just have to think about exactly where to mount it so that the seat maintains most is it's useful movement.

Thanks again!!

black runner
14-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I have mine mounted on the bow end of the port side pocket.

Cheers

Damned67
14-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I had been thinking of the side pockets, but felt it may have got in the way. (does it?). Anyway, it's nicely mounted on the pedestal of one of the front seats. I'm pretty happy with it!
Thanks again!

White Pointer
14-05-2009, 11:25 PM
G'day,

I don't think your idea of under the front casting hatch was a bad one - provided that you mount it to the hatch lid itself. That way it can't get buried and quick to get at - like your PFD.

It's also accessible to take out after a trip and rinse off in warm, soapy water and store in the garage with you boat keys - so you never leave home without it.

Regards,

White Pointer

Sea-Dog
28-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I see you have pedestal seats, have you thought about attaching it to one of them? It'll be out of the way, and very close at hand if you need it.

Scott mate, you're a bloody champion. The pedestal it shall be.

I've been storing mine in a container under the front of my casting deck. I didn't like where it was.

I didn't want to mount it on the outside of the casting deck bulkhead as it was sure to get in the way and also get wet and rusty.

No good storing it near the motor - a probable source of fire.

No good storing it under the rear of my casting deck - that's where the fuel tank lives.

Other places were either in the way or likely to get the extinguisher damaged.

I never thunk of fitting the mounting cradle to a seat pedestal.

I can move my seat to different sockets and the extinguisher will just come for the ride.

Next question is - Where do I mount the fibreglass fire blanket?

cormorant
28-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Fire blanket

mate in your undies and you won't have any more marks on the seats;D;D

Sea-Dog
28-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Fire blanket

mate in your undies and you won't have any more marks on the seats;D;D

Depends on what was on last nights menu. Sometimes I reckon I could do with asbestos undies.

I've now used the brilliant suggestion of mounting the extinguisher on the seat pedestal. Just two pop rivets and she's done.