PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter 445f,r,c and 146 owners- hydrolic steering help please!

jeffo
12-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

I am pretty much at the last piece of the puzzle before my 445f/r can hit the water. The hydrolic steering. With the very limitted room in the splashwell i am finding it very hard to work out what system i have to get (and i must say the few shops i have been to and asked havent even wanted to see the boat, they just want to stick their heads in the catalogue, and really dont sound like they know what they are selling)

I am keen to hear from other 445 owners with hydrolic steering to see how you have set it up. The way it looks so far, i will probably have to go side mount and cut another hole in the side of the splash well.

The baystar website gives dimensions required for its bullhorn unit on one page but then on another page shows those previous dimensions are far to big.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Jeff.

Jeremy
12-05-2009, 07:49 AM
sorry can't help you Jeffo, I have mechanical teleflex steering. Sees OK to me.
Jeremy

JB
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Maybe ask Garry (SpainardKing) , he might be able to point you in right direction.

Noelm
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
there is a couple of types of hydraulic steering available, as in bullhorn, may be too wide? or there is another type that fits to one side and has a "push/pull" bar linking it to the motor, this may be your answer, can you find a good dealer in your area that might know something about it all, or contact the steering people themselves!

pilchardjones
13-05-2009, 01:14 PM
hydraulic is nice but not warranted IMHO jeff.
I have teleflex non feedback on both my boats (60 merc and 140 suzi) and no problems. easy to fit and takes up no room.
steve

jeffo
13-05-2009, 06:34 PM
the problem i have Steve is getting cable to bend to where it has to go.....i dont think it will get there.

pilchardjones
14-05-2009, 06:20 AM
right - i understand.
i had to cut a hole in the transom right in the starboard upper corner to get the cable to turn the curve it needed to.
steve

Duckfish
14-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Jeffo
Had the same problem when I installed Hydrulic Steering to a Haines 565L. I finally got a Hydrive unit with a Bullhorn arm and specified that it had to fit a Haines Hunter 565L. The unit has a smaller bullhorn then the normal one so make sure you specify that when you buy it. I bought mine from Steve at Wynnum Marine. Hope this helps

Duckfich

marlin01
17-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Jeffo,
The Seastar narrow bullhorn will fit the 445F with no need to cut any holes in the well. It does limit the turning radius of the motor a fair bit. After I fitted mine I found that the normal bullhorn set up would actually just fit with the only problem being on full tilt where it would be touch and go on the well wall.
Anyway I am very happy with the steering and have had no trouble at all. Sure beats cable steering!!
Marlin

sherkier
17-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi I have a hanies hunter 146C and a 75hp current model mercury and I have Hydride bullhorn fitted to it and it works excellent. I love it.

jeffo
17-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully i can get something sortted this week.

vini79
24-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Jeffo,
My 445F has a Hydrive Bullhorn setup and fits easily.
Once you go Hydraulic you will never go back.

jeffo
24-05-2009, 07:40 PM
cheers all, got a hydrive bullhorn system installed through the week....now im ready to fish.

marlin01
25-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Jeffo,
I just rechecked my well and I have 70mm clearance each side when motor is down and only 60mm clearance when tilted 1/2 up which would mean the standard Hydrive unit would clash with the well sides and the cable entry port so the 212BH Pro looks like the go.
Also my motor is jacked up 55mm above the transom which means if your motor was lower the problem would be worse.

jeffo
25-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Cheers marlin, thats the same set up i got put on...fits in nicely.