PDA

View Full Version : Here's a puzzle ...

White Pointer
11-05-2009, 10:24 PM
G'day,

Some years ago I bought a SureCatch BigField GP80 rod. It came with a Shimano AX6000FA reel. I used it with mixed success fishing off rocks and rock walls around Redcliffe peninsula.

I swapped the reel onto a boat rod (Penn Power Stick) and it is freshly loaded with 30Kg mono line. I put an Alvey 500BL on the GP80, but only because I had it lying around. I haven't used it for quite a while.

The GP80 is a "made in Australia" rod of graphite composite. Hardly state of the art but beautifully balanced with sensational feel. I have no idea what line is can carry or how to put it to good use in my collection.

Any ideas on use on a boat, best reel selection and line?

Regards,

White Pointer

CreelReaper
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey White Pointer,

From what you have said I believe the rod to be a General Purpose style rod suited to either sidecast or spin. The GP80 I think indicates that it is 8ft long. There should be a rating on the side of the rod above the top grip. The length of the butt usually dictates whether it is spin or not, and the number of runners/guides also shows whether it has been made for overhead reel use.

Being matched originally to a Shimano AX6000FA reel I tend to think that the rod is possibly rated roughly the same.

Now the Shimano AX6000FA reel is a good honest reel but is rated to 10kg. I would tend to think that putting 30kg line on it would be drastic overkill as the reel's internals would explode if you tried to use it to the lines capacity.

If it feels comfy with the sidecast on I would be filling the sidecast spool with no more than 10kg line. Personally I never load a rod or reel to their full capacity as this only wears the components/internals so much faster. Especially on the mass produced less expensive reels.

If in fact it is an 8ft rod it should go ok as a boat outfit but with a smallish sidecast I probably wouldn't fish more than 20 or 30 metres and if you are fishing depths with large sinkers then that also contributes to what and how the rod/line performs.

Hope this helps

Happy fishing

Shane

White Pointer
13-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey White Pointer,

From what you have said I believe the rod to be a General Purpose style rod suited to either sidecast or spin. The GP80 I think indicates that it is 8ft long. There should be a rating on the side of the rod above the top grip. The length of the butt usually dictates whether it is spin or not, and the number of runners/guides also shows whether it has been made for overhead reel use.

Being matched originally to a Shimano AX6000FA reel I tend to think that the rod is possibly rated roughly the same.

Now the Shimano AX6000FA reel is a good honest reel but is rated to 10kg. I would tend to think that putting 30kg line on it would be drastic overkill as the reel's internals would explode if you tried to use it to the lines capacity.

If it feels comfy with the sidecast on I would be filling the sidecast spool with no more than 10kg line. Personally I never load a rod or reel to their full capacity as this only wears the components/internals so much faster. Especially on the mass produced less expensive reels.

If in fact it is an 8ft rod it should go ok as a boat outfit but with a smallish sidecast I probably wouldn't fish more than 20 or 30 metres and if you are fishing depths with large sinkers then that also contributes to what and how the rod/line performs.

Hope this helps

Happy fishing

Shane

G'day Shane,

I think you are spot on.

It is an 8' two piece rod and I think I'll leave the little Alvey side cast on it and rig with 6lb mono and use it for fishing channels for flathead and bream. Even if the fish are little, it will feel good.

You have given me a lot to think about, including the set up on the Power Stick. Looks like I'll need another medium rod and another heavy reel. Any suggestions that are not too expensive? Otherwise the comment from the boss will be, "that's about the same as another diamond ring".

Thanks,

White Pointer