PDA

View Full Version : Cruisecraft Outsider Owners

O-3
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Gday all.

I'm interested in a 575 Outsider.
From what I know, any hull pre 2005 doesn't have the foam filled hull.

Are the only advantages of the foam filled hull safety and noise??

Is it worth buying a pre 2005 model or better sticking to 2005 and above?

Thanks for any help.

ozbee
11-05-2009, 09:32 PM
for personal use and in real situations there is very little to gain in a foam filled hull unless it sinks in a swimming pool .when a wave hits a swamped foam filled hull it will mostly roll over and over compared to upside down but stable . some people think there safer some don't but they can be a pain in the ass when the foam deteriorates and becomes water logged.

Graffy
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Had a look at a 2000 model 550 Outsider at the repair shop today the transom was rotten, after it was removed and the stringers were exposed i could not believe my eyes when i saw that they had failed to cover more than 50% of them with any fiber glass. I was surprised and disappointed to think i had myself looked at buying one of these boats. I wonder sometimes what value you should put on big name mass produced boats so much for Australian made quality.

siegfried
12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Nice lookin boat, but very overated, in the age group of boats you are looking at there are plenty of options, many of which will not break your back

-Beefa-
12-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a 6.25 2004 model, one advantage of not having the foam is heaps more storage room.

Regards Chris

O-3
12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks Beefa, I didn't think of that.

chop duster
12-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Graffy,
that is very common in that year and model for cruisecrafts. Bit of flowcoat splashed about is about it, same for the side pockets.
Makes you wonder wether they would stay afloat if turtled as i'm sure the under floor bulkheads wouldn't be watertight. So in this case, Ozbee the foam would be good.
I'm sure the later model cruisy's are better, well i hope.

tin can marlin
12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Had a look at a 2000 model 550 Outsider at the repair shop today the transom was rotten, after it was removed and the stringers were exposed i could not believe my eyes when i saw that they had failed to cover more than 50% of them with any fiber glass. I was surprised and disappointed to think i had myself looked at buying one of these boats. I wonder sometimes what value you should put on big name mass produced boats so much for Australian made quality.
I have heard they still have timber floors that is why i have always been a big fan of the Allisons as they have full fibreglass stringers and full fibreglass floor and they fully coat there transoms with glass as well. A boat purchased in 2000 should not be rotton by now but how can you stop it when you build with 1930's type construction.

O-3
13-05-2009, 01:58 AM
I have heard they still have timber floors that is why i have always been a big fan of the Allisons as they have full fibreglass stringers and full fibreglass floor and they fully coat there transoms with glass as well. A boat purchased in 2000 should not be rotton by now but how can you stop it when you build with 1930's type construction.

Sounds like you guys are maybe being a bit pedantic???
I'm sure if their were any structural flaws with the Outsider design there would be quite a few blokes on the forums talking about problems they have experienced.

Either way, Still interested to hear from owners with Foam and non-foam hulls.
Thanks for the replies so far.:thumbsup:

GBC
13-05-2009, 05:43 AM
I had a non foam 550.

No drop in liners there, just glass over ply over timber and yes, as soon as you stuck your finger in any nook or cranny there were sharp edges of mat that hadn't been laid etc.,
I'm not going to have a go at the finish of the boat - it was better than most, but yes it was traditionally laid up.

As for foam filling - I'd take it rather than leave it.

If your lower hull leaks for any reason the thing can't fill up and sink you. If you don't like foam use ping pong balls or milk bottles - something is better than nothing.

jtpython
13-05-2009, 06:24 AM
http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=394
http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=279
If you like them they are a great boat i have the Explorer and i love it
But go with test runs in couple boats you have in mind.
JT
Lots of boat reviews here
2001 my Models is

TimiBoy
13-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Mine has foam, but being a 685 it's a bit larger. The foam insulates the fish boxes nicely. Other than that, I (gratefully) have not "used" the foam yet, but I am glad it is there!

I can't put on the Volvo trim tabs though, as the cabling can't go through the foam. Disappointing, as I like the technology, but don't want ugly cabling lacing the back of the tub.

Cheers,

Tim

Getout
13-05-2009, 08:15 AM
I've got a foam filled 625.
If I get rolled over by a whale or a container ship in the middle of the night, the boat will at least float some way, and i will be able to use some of my safety gear and be rescued. I have even worked out a plan to retrieve the anchor rope which is attached inside the anchor locker and tie it around the outboard leg so that we have something to hold onto whilst sitting on the upturned hull.
Now to find a way to attach the EPIRB to the underside of the hull;D

gofishin
13-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Had a look at a 2000 model 550 Outsider at the repair shop today the transom was rotten, after it was removed and the stringers were exposed i could not believe my eyes when i saw that they had failed to cover more than 50% of them with any fiber glass...
Graffy, despite the lack of glass coverage, the inset of dry rot is much more to do with the care/storage of the boat than timber coverage. We have no previous history of this boat, and it could of had a sh!t of a life! My father had a marine/boat repair business in the steamy PNG tropics (great place for rot). The last boat he built (in 1969, 23ft planning cruiser, before getting too busy with re-powers/refurbs to build any more) was all ply/timber, and it was still going strong 25yrs later without a hint of rot, and after a few owners too. It had no internally glassed timber, however proper treatment with Everdure etc, but it was well looked after.

O-3, the foam definitely makes a difference in ride, both perceived (much less noise & harshness, which makes it seem a lot more solid) but I also believe it physically makes the boat more rigid. These comments are from quite a few trips in identically powered 625’s, one with foam, one without – and the owner definitely believes this too, and he has done maybe 500 hours plus, total combined.

There is normally no foam under floor in the cabin, under the tank, nor under the storage areas/kill boxes in the cockpit, especially where there is drainage/limber holes thru bulkheads etc. (Timi, you sure you have foam under/around your kill boxes?? – yours must be special;D ). If there is no foam in a compartment that is drained, it won’t get moisture laden.

I have the 685 Outsider with the foam filled hull, and with the longer cabin compared to the 685 Explorer (hence less foam up front), the Outsider is definitely noisier and has a harsher fell about it – such is the effect of the foam. Pic attached of my hull, when the foaming was nearly complete (a little top-up here & there reqd). Mine had very good coverage over timber etc.

The loss of storage is/would be a pain, but the pluses definitely outweigh the minuses – my belief anyway.
cheers

Heath
13-05-2009, 01:07 PM
The ones with the foam filled hull, will probably give you a bit better ride due to the weight. As for getting turned ass up, well no one plans on that happening. I reckon both will float.
I have a CC 600 explorer & love the thing!

O-3
13-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Graffy, despite the lack of glass coverage, the inset of dry rot is much more to do with the care/storage of the boat than timber coverage. We have no previous history of this boat, and it could of had a sh!t of a life! My father had a marine/boat repair business in the steamy PNG tropics (great place for rot). The last boat he built (in 1969, 23ft planning cruiser, before getting too busy with re-powers/refurbs to build any more) was all ply/timber, and it was still going strong 25yrs later without a hint of rot, and after a few owners too. It had no internally glassed timber, however proper treatment with Everdure etc, but it was well looked after.

O-3, the foam definitely makes a difference in ride, both perceived (much less noise & harshness, which makes it seem a lot more solid) but I also believe it physically makes the boat more rigid. These comments are from quite a few trips in identically powered 625’s, one with foam, one without – and the owner definitely believes this too, and he has done maybe 500 hours plus, total combined.

There is normally no foam under floor in the cabin, under the tank, nor under the storage areas/kill boxes in the cockpit, especially where there is drainage/limber holes thru bulkheads etc. (Timi, you sure you have foam under/around your kill boxes?? – yours must be special;D ). If there is no foam in a compartment that is drained, it won’t get moisture laden.

I have the 685 Outsider with the foam filled hull, and with the longer cabin compared to the 685 Explorer (hence less foam up front), the Outsider is definitely noisier and has a harsher fell about it – such is the effect of the foam. Pic attached of my hull, when the foaming was nearly complete (a little top-up here & there reqd). Mine had very good coverage over timber etc.

The loss of storage is/would be a pain, but the pluses definitely outweigh the minuses – my belief anyway.
cheers

Great post....Exactly the sort of info I was after.

Thanks for the pic too.

CCDrifter
14-05-2009, 03:17 PM
O-3
The only downside is storage. Safety/noise supression is far superior. Ispent a lot of years in a 2003 575 then bought a 2005 625 explorer to find boat had a wetter ride as less cabin space and also far less storage space for the usuall pile of highly important crap that seem s to find its way onto the boat.

Nathan