PDA

View Full Version : Fitting hydraulic steering

on-one
11-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I've recently bought hydraulic steering for my boat and plan to fit it myself, the only thing I'm not certain of is how to mount the ram that operates the rudder. The hydraulic one is longer than the existing soI suspect I'll need to make up some sort of a bracket as it need to be several inches to the left of where it is now (see attached pic) any suggestions of how and from what? Thanks.

Spaniard_King
11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
got a pik of the ram you have, I am thinking your going to have to get a bracket fabricated from stainless or galvanised steel

skipalong
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
will the hydraulic ram give you enough turn on the rudder?

on-one
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
this is the ram the 212 sport http://www.hydrive.com.au/site/product-ji.html. The stroke is the same as the current mechanical unit so it should work ok, just a matter of somewhere to bolt the mount for it

on-one
12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
does anyone see a problem with using another plank of wood similar to the one in the photo bolted to the top of the stringers and mounting the ram on top of that? I figure it'd give a sturdy base and the timber would protect the ram if it get's knocked when I'm retrieving crab pots from the bilge

Spaniard_King
12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
If your worried about protection you could use either 100mm stainless or alluminium angle, with the side edge to give you protection.