PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone from a larger glass boat to a smaller plate alloy one?

ashleyhj74
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
G'day all, as the title says, I have a glass boat at the moment, but i'm tossing up the idea of selling it and getting something a bit smaller. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this? Any regrets? My current boat is a Spearfish 21 centre cab/console (200hp Yamaha 2-stroke, its got every option under the sun, i cant think of anything else i'd add to it), I do love it. But it spends more time in the shed of late. My reasoning is, if I had something a bit smaller i'd use it more? (i'd definately be able to access fisheries that I cannot now, so that'd be a bonus) I dont know, as i said, just doin a few sums/etc (i get the urge to sell it every few months, then change my mind), thought i'd ask for some opinions. I was thinking Barcrusher 560, 4-stroke 115hp.

krazyfisher
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Why would you go to ali and do you think a 560 would be enough of a down size?

Far side
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I went the other way from the barcrusher to a glass boat
though I can launch and retrieve both boats no problem by myself the barcrusher was definately easier to load and unload solo
You will find you will use it a lot more if you can launch and retrieve by yourself

Wahoo
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
yes i had a Donzi years ago, went to alloy and ever looked back, think im on my 5th alloy boat now, going from a 6m down to a 5.6 is a big difference overall

Daz

ashleyhj74
10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Its not the handling side of things i'm worried about, i could launch/retrieve mine on my own with no worries. I think 5.6 wouldnt be a bad size. I'm 6'6 tall and not the smallest person, same as my old man. So I dont want to go too small. I'd still like to retain offshore capability as well (i dont want much i realise this ;) ).

ozbee
10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
maybe look for a second hand four stroke donk its amazing how much more often you would use it if your fuel bill was cut in half. think carefully we all go smaller when we hit mid years but do it to early and you will find it a expensive unrewarding exercise. is it the boat or the fuel cost the factor.

PinHead
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
my previous boat was a 10m sports crusier...I went down to a 5.6m glass boat...very rarely miss the creature comforts on the bigger boat but not very often..love the little boat and the flexibility I have with it...not to mention the savings...I decided against a plate boat for several reasons

ashleyhj74
10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Nah mate, fuel costs arent the issue. For a 200 carbied 2-stroke i'm very happy with the fuel usage, around 38ltrs/hr at 4000rpm for a good quick cruise. I've considered the 4-stroke option, but due to the pod design (non-boyuant) i'd have to get that re-done to stop the self-draining deck becoming self-filling. So theres another $4000+. Besides, it uses around the same (still not sure how btw) amount of fuel as a mates 200 4-stroke (once again, still not sure how, but its within 4-5ltrs a hour, sometimes closer).

ped cairns
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
i tried the same a few years ago tried aloy cat and a couple of monos that received great write ups in fish and boat couldnt believe the difference, ended up buying another glass and 4 stroke motor, cant believe the difference between the two materials, although these new barcrushers and stabi's look the part now.
i would take a few for test drive before selling what you have.

good luck

ashleyhj74
12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah for sure on the test drive mate, got holidays as of next week. Goin to go for a look. I'm still in the "thinkin about it" stage, no definate plans as yet

Lovey80
12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Ashley, mate if I were you I would try to find a fishing mate that has exactly what your after. You keep yours and use it for when you want to fish those wider area's and fish in his when you want to stay in close. He will appreciate the opportunities to go wider in your boat just as much as you will appreciate getting up the smaller water.

You have already done the big outlay, so that is behind you. Just split all the running costs down the middle each time you go out and everybody is happy.

Cheers

Chris

guruwing
13-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Its not the handling side of things i'm worried about, i could launch/retrieve mine on my own with no worries. I think 5.6 wouldnt be a bad size. I'm 6'6 tall and not the smallest person, same as my old man. So I dont want to go too small. I'd still like to retain offshore capability as well (i dont want much i realise this ;) ).
hi, i can tell you this, i sold my large boat (glass) and got a smaller one , stayed with glass and wish i had kept the one i had, cant do the reef trips ,gets tossed around in some weather i could once be in now i really have to pick my days,
i could get the other one on and off on my own,so why did i sell it ?
after heartatack doctors orders... id love to take him out on the one i have now
bet he wouldnt advise that form of treatment again>:(

ashleyhj74
13-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys, these are the kinda responses i was expecting. I guess i've got some thinking to do over my holidays :)

wetryin
13-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I took home a 5.3 barcrusher a week ago. I cant fully answer your question of downsizing as I upgraded from another brand pressed tinnie (5.25) to the 5.3 and this was a massive upgrade. I wanted to stick with alloy instead of the weight difference of fibreglass.

I have only launched it only twice but found it very easy to launch and retrieve, both manually and drive off (by myself have not driven on- I think once I know the boat because it self centres I should be able to do it ok. The last boat had skids on the trailer and was a major backbreaking effort to both launch and retrieve and the BC is easy as. The trailer I purchased with the boat has 3 speed options for retrieval - 1:1, 5:1 and 10:1

Re size- I am 6'4 tall and the 5.3 is just perfect even standing in shoes. If I were 6'6 I think that I would go the model up but I would test drive to make sure.

Towing (this boat is very light compared to the last), launching, storing, getting it ready (I store it undercover in a 2.5m garage) so even a simple canopy ate into my quality fish time- the top on the BC takes less than 60seconds to put up all comes into the picture the BC was the only choice. And it handles nicely offshore even the odd occasion of getting airborne (althougth it lands a little different) it still is a nice solid boat to handle both on and off water and to fish from.

It took me a long time to make the decision but I think I made it well.

dazza
13-05-2009, 10:18 PM
hi ash,
went through a similar delema as you recently.
was thinking real seriously about selling the haines 680 and going to a 18 foot plate boat.
decided not to as the 680 owes me nothing, spent a bit in the last 5 years, new trailer, new motor and canopy revamp. so should be right for at least 10 years
the thing i came back to was ride and setup. the old haines isn't the fastest boat in the ocean, big and heavy, but will do 18-20mph (4200rpm) in pretty well all conditions, pretty economical at these speeds/revs
would a plate boat give you the comfort etc????
would you really use it more?? why don't you use current boat- time, lack of deckies, other things to do, will a smaller plate boat change any of these factors??
all the best with the decision
cheers
dazza

ashleyhj74
14-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks wetryin, good to hear your happy with your rig mate. I'm goin to go to the factory next week while i'm on holidays for a look (never really seen in/out/around one, so it doesnt cost/hurt to look).
G'day Dazza, great boat those 680's we had one of the original ones back in the early/mid 90's. My boat is probably needing a new trailer in the next few years, and as its over 2000kg that means breakaway brakes (i was only told it was 1900kg when i bought it, previous owner said he had a weighbridge ticket. Dunno what weighbridge he used, cause when i weighed it it went 2200kg without a drop of fuel, and the current trailer is way to lightly built for it). The motor is a carbied-2 stroke, its fine, theres nothing wrong with it. I mean, a 4-stroke would be great, but its a big investment. I was kinda thinkin instead of sinking $10+k into a trailer (i'd build my own, the old mans handy like that, but these days the insurance/liability side of things worry me. It'd be built like a brick shithouse, but if the insurance company changed there mind if i had a accident and wouldnt insure me, i'd be kinda screwed) and even a good 2nd hand 4-stroke is goin to be $15+k, plus pod mods probably. That kinda money would go along way to a new smaller boat, with change after the sale of mine. I know what your sayin re-ride/etc, my boat is awesome in the water. I'm sure there'd be a difference, quite a big one, between mine and a smaller one. Ah well, i'll continue to think ;)