PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks fishing coffs

Chopper Taylor
08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
just got home from 10 days fishing coffs.

we managed to scratch up about 60 snapper, no horses amongst them, most were around a kilo, a few pushes 2kg.

we also picked up a couple of trag, some pearlies, a few bream, small kings and moses perch.

thanks to Pete and Rob for the tips.

most of the fish came from Sawtell, and we had a good session one arvo at Bullocky.

trolled livies around lighthouse yesterday on the downrigger for nothing. we had them set at 70 feet and 50 feet. surely something should have smashed them??

maybe we'll head up in March next year in the hope to come across some pelagics.

for the mean time i will start planning towards Wooli in September. Snapper and Sambo season.

reel scream
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
10 days fishing ahhhhhhhhhhh. Half your luck. Sounds like you got a decent feed CT.
Hearing you bout the downie......how can there be nothing around ready to chomp a slow livie?

Cheers
Scott

mattooty
09-05-2009, 10:05 PM
How close were you to the lighthouse green zones? I've dived alot around that area and the number of fish which sit within 5m of the shore is phenomenal. Big patches of kings and 8-10kg snaps sitting just under the suds. Not easy to navigate around the green zones though.

Chopper Taylor
13-05-2009, 07:34 AM
I was surprised at how many pro boats were handlining kings within the sanctuary zone on the northern end of south solitary. At one stage the big police launch cruised straight past them and did nothing!!

We did manage to pick up a couple of kings on hardbodies on the downrigger, but i am not a fan of eating kings unless fresh, and a legal king provides plenty of food for a couple fo families so we didn't bother pulling out any more than we could immediately eat.

the viz for diving was very poor except for a couple of days. We jumped in at black rock one day with 60 foot viz, plenty of bait in the water but no current.

No flow - no go. Not one king or bar mack to be sighted.

i've heard the diving at big island has been good though, with whaoo still on the menu.