PDA

View Full Version : Buying my 1st Boat

OzeDiver
08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

I'm Jordan, based on the Gold coast and I'm looking at buying my first boat. I want to try and get it right the first time and hopefully not have to upgrade for awhile.

It'll be used, for general crusing around the broadwater, diving, fising and maybe towing a tube (if it's capable). So pretty much a general all rounder.

I'm thinking a runabout around 4m - 4.5m, that is capable of crossing the bar to go to the likes of the Scottish Prince. And around the Broadwater, and maybe the odd trip to Moreton.

Wanting to spend $18k tops but some change would be nice.

I've had a look at Quintrex, Stacer, Stessco, Seajay, Clark & Bluefin.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Bluefin Discovery 4.2m from Coorparoo Marine with a Merc 40hp 4stroke. http://coorparoomarine.com.au/boats_24_details/Blue+Fin+4.2+Discovery+Runabout

But would like others opinions as to what else I should consider?

Thanks for any help

boatie_72
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Check your PM's

frankgrimes
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Also have a look at Polycraft.

Mick

GBC
08-05-2009, 02:55 PM
www.oceancraft.com.au

Not as pretty as some, but you're not going to die in it crossing a bar either.

Poodroo
08-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Can't complain about my Blue Fin. I have the 4.0 Discovery with the 40hp merc on the back and it goes reliably well. Here is a short clip taken before I put a stainless Solas prop on it.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/th_Poodroo.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/?action=view&current=Poodroo.flv)

Poodroo

White Pointer
08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
G'day,

In the size range you suggest and the option to take it outside I recommend that you look long and hard at a second-hand Cox Craft Reef Runner or Rum Runner.

They are very good sea boats, easy to handle, and have a fairly wide range of power options available now that some potent light-weight outboards are available.

They look pretty good too!

Regards,

White Pointer

OzeDiver
08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

The Cox Craft are a bit out of my price range by about $10k but thanks. I will only be crossing the bar in nigh on perfect conditions and even then only about 1nm absolute tops and prefer ally as it will more likely than not get banged around a bit diving and being my first boat:anxious:

Do the Polycraft come in a runabout setup? and they need a bit more HP then an equivelant ally wouldn't they?

As for the oceancraft I need it to be family friendly as well:)

Poodroo - PM Sent

frankgrimes
08-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Do the Polycraft come in a runabout setup? and they need a bit more HP then an equivelant ally wouldn't they?

Yes and Yes(Sort of!) mate - Drifter(4.5) range fyr: http://www.polycraft.com.au/450_drifter.php

I run a 50 4 banger on my 4.5CC....more than satisfactory with one up(So for me fine, as I normally fish solo)...but, if you're taking a few more POB, then 60 would be the better option.

Poly's are pretty much zero maintenance, plus fantastic ride...def. worthwhile taking one for a spin and see what you think.

I take mine 25ks + offshore without issue....very predictable boat.

Poodroo
08-05-2009, 10:59 PM

The Cox Craft are a bit out of my price range by about $10k but thanks. I will only be crossing the bar in nigh on perfect conditions and even then only about 1nm absolute tops and prefer ally as it will more likely than not get banged around a bit diving and being my first boat:anxious:

As for the oceancraft I need it to be family friendly as well:)

Poodroo - PM Sent

Having done this exercise a bit over a year ago I know why I settled for a Blue Fin. The boat is well made, good value for money and seems to have just a few more options than its rivals. Polycraft were also one I looked at and loved however I realized they were quite expensive by comparison. Good luck with it.

Poodroo

PM replied to. ;)

Catweb
09-05-2009, 05:42 AM
My current boat, 4.9 Webster cat is my 25th. One thing I have learnt is that all boats are a compromise of some sort. As your boating needs vary over time you will find that none of them will do everything you want.

My best advice to you would be to stay focused on what you know you currently want in a boat and keep the compromises to a bare minimum as they will gnaw at you over time after the "new" gloss wears off.

But be prepared for the fact that this will change many times over time and even go backwards sometimes, ie I have gone back to a 16' cat and I have already owned one, a 4.9 Markham Whaler back in 1982. Since then I have had boats ranging from 12' tinnies to 28' cruisers. I am fickle yes, but my boating needs have changed many times over the 33 years I have owned boats.

Just my humble opinion, hope it helps.

Bowser
09-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Is this for you and your family, yoau and your mates or just you? What is the primary purpose of the boat, fishing, cruising or family?

Lovey80
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Im with Catweb, the Webster range are fantastic boats and although you would have to compromise with the tube towing the rest of what you want would easily fullfilled with a twinfisher.Something like below.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6846900

I have a 4.3m CC and although shorter and has less beam than the 4.6/4.9m it out handles many pressed ally mono's of same and larger sizes when it matters.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Be patient!!!!!!

OzeDiver
09-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Frank: I did have a look at a polycraft but price was the major con. I will most likely have at least one other POB most of the time so the extra HP needed just adds to the cost, and the extra fuel consumption too. Still in saying that it would be nice to go for a run in one and the maintenenace (or lack of) sounds nice.

Poodroo: They're also the main reasons I'm leaning towards the Bluefin...

Catweb: Wow! 25 boats over 33 years that's almost one a year! That's what I have been trying to do, prioritizing what I want the boat for and realise that it will surely change over time.

Bowser: Well most of the time it'll probably be me and a mate or 2 or the family (being the old folks or siblings not kids). I want it for general cruising, diving/snorkelling, fishing and perhaps some water sports if the setup within my budget allows.

Lovely80: The twinfisher does look like a nice boat but it also is out of my budget :(. I only want to spend $18k tops but thanks. I am trying to be patient. I have been looking into it seriously for the last 2 months or so and will be looking to make a purchase in late July. After my trip to Fiji;D

Thanks again for all your help everyone! It's really appreciated.

Zooter
09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Go the Poly :)

I recently upgraded from a tinny, My first decent boat and am truly happy with my choice, like frrank said, Take the time to take one for a test ride, You will be very suprised :)

And the Suzuki 50 4 stroke is a dream motor m8, quite, easy to maintain.

I would recommend going second hand too, pick up something with under 50 hrs on it your laughing and will save big bucks,
There is a few on ebay atm m8 worth a look.

I take my 4.1 outside without a drama on a reasonable day, and on the river it eats the chop like a fat lady eating a greasy burger!

BTW i picked mine up for 12k. 30 hrs on motor 2005 model.

considering they are around 20k new there is sum bargain to be picked up on ebay m8!

Also i wouldnt worry about extra fuel cost with the 4stroke suzuki range, they are a very very good on fuel, My brother in law has a 50 merc 2stroke and too his 25lts i only use 15lts. Plus his oil, BIG Difference!

HAPPY BOAT HUNTING!

Poodroo
10-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Just another couple of things. I know there are mentions of second hand boats and yes there are some good buys but there will always be a certain level of risk involved to go second hand because regardless of the reason the previous owner always has a reason to sell and often the reasons for selling may not be all that sincere so there is always an element of risk involved. I personally went "new" because I like the peace of mind that I will be the first owner and will know the boat from day one. Something I loved about the Blue Fin is that for that sized boat it is quite high sided and the boat looks bigger than its opposition.

Poodroo

bluefin59
10-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I have had my fin for 5 yrs and have done 600hrs running time in it and am still more than happy with its ability to handle the conditions i have put it in ,if i had mine stolen or sunk i would buy another tomorrow . Before you buy i can only recomend you see what the other brands are offering and you will notice that a lot of the features that are standard on a fin a classed as extras on other brands and they are a tough boat . I would recomend you speak to THEO at cooparoo marine and he will but you in what will suit your needs at the money you are looking at . It wasnt an easy desiccion to make but i kept coming back to the fin because they where value for money and did i say they are tough boats . I have the 4.5 predator which is just a warrior with a side console with a 60 mariner but a 50 would have been enough ,have fun deciding its great to take delivery of your new pride and joy ....MATT

finga
10-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I have to be on the Poly brigade or better smaller glass boat.

Tinnies are renown to crack open especially if ripping across to Moreton and the like.
Haven't you had some drama's Poodroo?

Do not discount private second handies. Some good boats and bargains to be had.
But an inspection by a good bloke is a must and money well spent even if you do not buy.

Below are just a few I found quite easily and lots of change from the $18,000
Here is a boat that looks good but I do not know them
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6996803
These are beauties and excellent for Bay work and some skiing etc and well within budget.
These are brilliant little boats
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7094929
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7119373
This I reckon would be well worth looking at as well
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6690019
But I'd settle for this for myself :)
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6754288

But in all seriousness I'd be looking at some of the above before an open tinny just because of the comfort level if a bit of slop picks up.
Glass rides better in my opinion.

tin can marlin
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I would not count out the Horizon product really neat welds and have been around for a long time. Let us know how you get on tanner marine at the tweed sell them.

goat boy
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I would not count out the Horizon product really neat welds and have been around for a long time. Let us know how you get on tanner marine at the tweed sell them.
Tanner have closed or moved? noticed last week the yard is closed and 'for lease' signs up.

whatstheodds
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
i have a hydroflied jaguar 4.65m very nice boat for crossing the bar
its has everything on it you need, 60 merc bigfoot
for sale for 14k

pm me if you want full details and pics

White Pointer
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
G'day,

Check this out for a serous bit of kit.

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6805147 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6805147)

I'll bet you can talk price.

Regards,

White Pointer

finga
12-05-2009, 08:15 AM
G'day,

Check this out for a serous bit of kit.

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6805147 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6805147)

I'll bet you can talk price.

Regards,

White Pointer
Some how I don't think they'd halve the price.

OzeDiver
12-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Poodroo: I'm with you again on the new vs used aspect. Especially since I am new to boating, I'm a bit wary of buying a used boat. I wouldn't know what to look out for in regards to possible problems. I know there are people that can come and do this for you but I would prefer the peace of mind of knowing that if anything to happen to go wrong with hull,trailer or outboard it would be under warranty for a few years. Also with the threads I've read that Bluefin have exceptional aftersales customer service.

Bluefin59: I have also noticed that too. That alot of the standard features are optional extras (all at a cost) on some of the other makes out there.

How do glass boats go as a dive boat? As I will hopefully be doing a fair bit of diving from it...

Although it would be nice I'm not sure I'd be able to talk them down to half the asking price either on the Coxcraft...

Donny Boy
12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
[quote=finga;1014078]

Geez Scotty...................you're givin away clues about your age now......:P

Next it'll be a Gondola, with some eyetie up the back with a bloody big stick !!!

Ah well, you could always use it to knock the fish out with...;)

ooh....and think of the storage room front and back...::)::)

Cripes.....might get one meself .......how d'ya reckon they'd go over the Pin bar ???

finga
12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
[quote=finga;1014078]

Geez Scotty...................you're givin away clues about your age now......:P

Next it'll be a Gondola, with some eyetie up the back with a bloody big stick !!!

Ah well, you could always use it to knock the fish out with...;)

ooh....and think of the storage room front and back...::)::)

Cripes.....might get one meself .......how d'ya reckon they'd go over the Pin bar ???
I am an old bugger.
In reality I have good genes and I just look young.

I reckon a larger one would be perfect for the dams.
Stay for days on the water.
4hp Moffat Virtue motor and away we go. No rego needed as well ;D

Lovey80
12-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Mate that one I showed you was just an example of what I thought you should look for. Even then with the current market your offer of 18k may still be the best and if the owner is in the sh!t that maybe his absolute minimum. As I say keep looking and be patient. I saw a 4.6m Webster with a 4 stroke on it for under18k a while back. The do come up from time to time.

Cheers

Chris

Fishmatics
12-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Mate there is a poly in Bundy for sale in the local classifieds:

Polycraft 4.55m 40 Johnson, sounder, gear & trailer. Vgc, $8,500, Phone 41561186

Good Luck

White Pointer
12-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Poodroo: I'm with you again on the new vs used aspect. Especially since I am new to boating, I'm a bit wary of buying a used boat. I wouldn't know what to look out for in regards to possible problems. I know there are people that can come and do this for you but I would prefer the peace of mind of knowing that if anything to happen to go wrong with hull,trailer or outboard it would be under warranty for a few years. Also with the threads I've read that Bluefin have exceptional aftersales customer service.

Bluefin59: I have also noticed that too. That alot of the standard features are optional extras (all at a cost) on some of the other makes out there.

How do glass boats go as a dive boat? As I will hopefully be doing a fair bit of diving from it...

Although it would be nice I'm not sure I'd be able to talk them down to half the asking price either on the Coxcraft...

G'day,

Thanks Finga and OzeDiver but I'm going back to your first post. If you want to go outside and take on the sea you need a sea boat - and these Cox Craft (with the right power) work really well. You should get you home when it all turns foul.

It will work a treat around the bay and doesn't draw too much for estuary work. They are pretty family friendly and not too much of a towing load.

The one I posted for reference is the best available as far as I can see and everything included (and I'm not the seller and don't know the seller) but there are others on the market that might offer better value to you.

I suggest that you play the pros and cons of expectations VS budget and make safety your highest priority. Be really honest. Maybe you can't afford to go outside yet.

Regards,

White Pointer

Poodroo
13-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Poodroo: I'm with you again on the new vs used aspect. Especially since I am new to boating, I'm a bit wary of buying a used boat. I wouldn't know what to look out for in regards to possible problems. I know there are people that can come and do this for you but I would prefer the peace of mind of knowing that if anything to happen to go wrong with hull,trailer or outboard it would be under warranty for a few years. Also with the threads I've read that Bluefin have exceptional after sales customer service.

This is exactly why I went new. If you buy second hand and something goes wrong it will be at your expense. I had a minor issue with a weld on the keel of my boat because in choppy conditions with my weight up front being a forward steer the nose of the boat tended to hit the waves lower down and flex the panels. This stressed the welds until they let go. I am convinced that no other boat manufacturing company would have resolved the issue as well as Blue Fin did. I literally got the red carpet treatment while they not only rewelded the boat inside and out but they took the flooring out and welded in twice as many ribs up the front which will stop any flexing what so ever. The boat is as strong as and I have tested it in some rough conditions and it comes up trumps now. The repair was professionally handled and professionally done. All the new Blue Fin runabout configuration boats in the 4.0 - 4.2 metre sizes are going to be built like mine so that they never encounter the same problem again. If you want great back up service then go Blue Fin for sure. Incidentally my boat was the only one in Australia that had this issue.

Poodroo

finding_time
13-05-2009, 08:19 AM
This is exactly why I went new. If you buy second hand and something goes wrong it will be at your expense.
Poodroo

This is the sentiment that sales people play on Poodroo.;) Yes your boat cracked and yes they fixed it no issues great result:D but what did you pay for this service , well buy the time you add in all the extra's you puchased for your pride and joy, radio,sounder,bilge pump etc and had them fitted , and the deprecation you suffered when you drove the boat out of the yard , those welds probably cost you $4 000.00 plus. It takes a very significant problem with a boat to justify the expence remembering that warantee on a motor is transferable ! I have never brought new and i dont think i ever will , there are always good/great new /used boats around that will save you plenty.

Ozediver

Mate if your going to be carrying dive gear in your boat for i assume both yourself and a buddy and traveling across the bay to use it , stay away from ANY tinnie. The weight combined with the pounding WILL cause problems faster than you think and your new purchase wont be new for long!

Ian

PS. Ozediver

Reread Fingas posts as he's speaking alot of sense, a poly or little glass will be the ticket for you!